PDA

View Full Version : German Bundesgrenzschutz SIG P-210-4!

cwo4uscgret
June 18, 2014, 21:15
The BGS, now the BundesPolizei (Federal Police) was the first post-WWII West German National Police Force, BGS stands for German Border Police. In the early 1950s they ordered 5,000 Sig P-210 9mm pistols, without a lanyard ring but with a loaded chamber indicator. I bought this last November, on GunBroker, from a dealer in Switzerland. It arrived at my custom's broker (MMBI in Maryland) last week after languishing in the BATFE E-Form Computer System. All MMBI had to do was have the importer's marks engraved on the gun and ship it out to my FFL; they shipped Monday; yesterday around 4pm I was shooting it at my local range! It is an awesome handling pistol; I know, a bit antiquated, 8 round single stack, SAO, but hey its the same age as I am; 60 something!

http://iwantthatknife.com/Gallery/albums/S-W-Models-29-and-38/P210_left.jpg
http://iwantthatknife.com/Gallery/albums/S-W-Models-29-and-38/P210_right.jpg
http://iwantthatknife.com/Gallery/albums/S-W-Models-29-and-38/Sig_P21_4.jpg
http://iwantthatknife.com/Gallery/albums/S-W-Models-29-and-38/p210_importer.jpg

Retired Bum
June 18, 2014, 23:13
That is the first Sig P49 aka 210 that I have ever seen with a D prefix in front of the serial number. I assume that D stands Deutschland. Decent looking piece given its age and who knows how many hands it has been through.

I have a 1996 made P210-6 fixed sight model. It was my Holy Grail handgun ever since I first saw one in the display case of the Frankfurt Rod & Gun Club in Germany in 1964. Finally bought mine in 2002. It only took 38 years....

And so it goes.

The Retired One

SPEEDGUNNER
June 19, 2014, 05:53
The P210 is one of the slickest actions you will ever find in a pistol. Ergonomically they fit your hand like it grew there. Yeah, by today's standards the 8rd mag and all steel construction is a bit old school, but you cannot beat the quality and reliability - runs like a Swiss watch!!

Nice buy, thanks for sharing. The importer marks are well done, very discreet.

I like it!!

Brian in MN
June 19, 2014, 21:58
Very cool.

charles isaac
June 19, 2014, 22:02
What a nice pistol. About everyone I knew that had any knowledge about these Swiss machinists' marvels is dead.

The story I was told some 40 years ago was that the border guards carried the extremely expensive and well made P210 as a badge of rank, or a symbol of their "elite" status while everyone else carried the P38 or P1. I know Border Guards also retained the FAL while everyone else got the stamped sheet metal G3.

You probably know that the slide release is milled out of a solid block of steel and that part alone retailed for $400 back in the 1970's.

Those guns are so cool, but beyond most peoples reach and the heathen know nothing of such a fine combat gun. Can't say I ever heard of one jamming. I'd carry it, but I use steel guns if possible anyways.

What did you say you paid for it? Oh yeah, you didn't. ;)

Retired Bum
June 19, 2014, 22:59
In 1965 I went TDY from my unit at Rothvesten to Oberammergau for some training at the Army Schools there. I remember seeing the Federal Border Guards on the kaserne. They were in some sort of six wheel drive armored vehicle equipped with a MG-3 on a pedestal mount. The guards were wearing back uniforms with silver trim and black painted steel helmets. They looked just like the General SS from the Nazi era except for the lack of Nazi armbands. They all had Walther P1 pistols in the same type of holster that the German Army was using. So I wonder when the BGS made the switch from the Sig to the P1. I have a Bundeswehr marked P1 complete with holster and a commercial Walther marked P38 made in 1984. A fine pistol but no match for the Sig P210 IMHO.....

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Rudolf
June 19, 2014, 23:17
How much may I ask did it set ya back?

I saw them in Czech Republic for about 2500 Euros and that was a bit much for my blood.

Falcon
June 20, 2014, 06:08
I used to have one a few years ago. The holster is somewhat rare but I was able to find one from France here:
http://www.abcollection.com/

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Falcon007/sigp210-1.jpg

sweetwine
June 20, 2014, 08:12
Good looking P-210 sir, you have fine tast. That's the second one I have seen.
I had a chance to buy one 5 years ago for 1200.00 but no cash at the time. I did finally get a Danish model, it's on my top 5 handguns list. Great shooters great triggers, sights arn't bad ether. Who cares it only holds 8 rounds you will hit what you are aiming at. :D
Btw: the german model is the only one to have the loaded chamber indicator on top of the slide.

AGG
June 20, 2014, 09:26
That is absolutely gorgeous!!! :eek:
Nice placement of the importer engraving. :)

Tony

mwhite49
November 18, 2014, 21:19
Did you get that one from Andrew Zink? I just purchased a very nice one from him too. Serial number D1890. Bore looks new, blue at 90%. And yes these are the best of the best as far as a semi auto goes.
Mike

cwo4uscg
December 14, 2014, 17:56
Did you get that one from Andrew Zink? I just purchased a very nice one from him too. Serial number D1890. Bore looks new, blue at 90%. And yes these are the best of the best as far as a semi auto goes.
Mike

Yes from Andrew imported by MMBI.

rarecat
December 14, 2014, 19:53
Green with envy, on my list to own one day. Nice Sig!

hansellhd
December 16, 2014, 12:52
Very nice, the one handgun I need to add to my collection.:beer:

HDH.

brunop
December 16, 2014, 18:46
Great pistol - thanks for posting pics.

To the people who want to know how much it cost: "If you have to ask, you can't afford it." :biggrin: This applies to me, too. $2,899.00 on gunbroker.com from seller SwissWaffen. That isn't necessarily what the OP paid, but that is what they (roughly) cost.

I'd love to own one. My dad lived in Berlin while the wall was up, and my mom's people are Swiss. It would go great with the BGS "Polizei" leather motorcycle officer jacket I got my dad for his b-day a couple of years ago. That would be one bad mamba-jamba.

kev
December 16, 2014, 20:25
I've gone to Simpson's website several times to pick out a good one. 90% finish more or less looks best to me and it's no problem picking one out in that range, C&R with leather and extra mag for $2100-2200. I always freeze up at the last moment and fail to buy it, but I keep thinking about it. One thing that keeps me from committing is the thought that they're only a three hour drive away and I might just as well go there and compare all side by side before choosing, but I'm too smart for that.

The truth is that I'd still rather have seven decent 3rd Gen S&W's than the one SIG no matter how much I think I want the SIG. If I was working and had a steady paycheck coming in I could justify the purchase, but not right now.