PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg MVP Patrol 308

altreco
June 14, 2014, 19:44
I'm giving serious consideration to purchasing a Mossberg MVP in 308. I was thinking about a Ruger Gunsite, but with the Mossberg being able to use any standard M1A/AR-10 mags versus Ruger using only Ruger mags... any ideas or suggestions? I'm a fan of bolts and leaning towards the Mossberg.

TOWS220
June 14, 2014, 23:02
Does is have that weird spring loaded thing to catch rounds on the bottom of the bolt?

K. Funk
June 16, 2014, 11:21
I don't have the MVP in .308, but I did win one in .223, the tactical version. I have not had time to play with it yet, but it seems like a decent rifle. Hopefully I can it out this weekend.

krf

richbug
March 26, 2015, 06:46
Does is have that weird spring loaded thing to catch rounds on the bottom of the bolt?

I gave into temptation and bought one. The bolt has 2 small "bumps" on the bottom of the bolt head to strip the rounds, not the hinged tab like the .223 version.

Mine is the "predator". Fluted 18.5" barrel, laminate stock.

Artful
March 31, 2015, 14:30
Waiting for review - liking the M14 mag's instead of Ruger proprietory mags

tac-40
March 31, 2015, 17:21
I bought my son a Mossberg bolt gun in .308. Very nice gun and with the right ammo is a less than MOA shooter. If their Patrol rifle is anything like my son's deer rifle, I would say get one.

richbug
April 01, 2015, 20:01
Waiting for review - liking the M14 mag's instead of Ruger proprietory mags

I don't have any M14 mags here to try. The mag catch grabs in 2 places, one up front where the M14 hole is, the other in the side where an LR308 is. The OEM mag has both holes, and lock in super solid. LR308 PMAGs aren't as solid, but feed fine.

Will have to wait on an accuracy test. The Leupold(vertical split ones) rings I put on it didin't hold the scope under recoil. Fireballs very impressive from PRVI, gave under 2moa at 3x on the scope when sighting in. Couldn't crank up the power as the scope had backed up locking the adjustment ring.

MajHenryWest
April 01, 2015, 21:01
I don't have any M14 mags here to try. The mag catch grabs in 2 places, one up front where the M14 hole is, the other in the side where an LR308 is. The OEM mag has both holes, and lock in super solid. LR308 PMAGs aren't as solid, but feed fine.

Will have to wait on an accuracy test. The Leupold(vertical split ones) rings I put on it didin't hold the scope under recoil. Fireballs very impressive from PRVI, gave under 2moa at 3x on the scope when sighting in. Couldn't crank up the power as the scope had backed up locking the adjustment ring.

Richbug;

You want to borrow an M-14 mag? I can send you one out tomorrow, no problem. I would really like to see how it performs.

Cheers.

richbug
April 02, 2015, 05:36
Richbug;

You want to borrow an M-14 mag?

I have some local friends that have m1As... I will see them in a couple weeks and get one then.

catmguy445
April 07, 2015, 18:50
If the .308 version is anywhere near as good as the .223 MVP, I'd buy that puppy in a heartbeat. I have a .223 caliber MVP, and it shoots incredibly well; basically, minute of angle out of the box with a decent scope. I have the short, heavy barrel model of MVP, and when I bought it, I didn't know that Mossberg made a .308 version of it. In fact, they may not have been making the .308 then. Now that I know they are, I WANT ONE.

richbug
April 12, 2015, 18:53
Richbug;

You want to borrow an M-14 mag? I can send you one out tomorrow, no problem. I would really like to see how it performs.

Cheers.

M14 mags lock in solidly, even better than the Pmags.

Shot for accuracy some, but had a bad day with everything. Made the mistake of shooting my .458 Lott first, by the time it was sighted in I was not in top form.

With PRVI white box it was in the 2-3 MOA range, ZQI was about 4, 168 grain Amaxes over Varget in Lapua cases were in the 1.5-2 range. The rifle has lots more, by I was worn out by the time I shot her today.

Artful
April 13, 2015, 07:47
Thank you for the update
- I have a friend with 223 version and he likes it
- we were out shooting his powder coated cast plinking loads
(about like 22 mag rf) and I was impressed with groups.

:bow:
Some times you just have to say no to elephant guns.
I have taken to down loading my 45-70's and I seldom
shoot my 375 Weatherby Mag anymore.