PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a Colt Trooper?

.30-06
June 13, 2014, 22:55
How do you like it? Specifically the MkIII.

Nomad, 2nd
June 14, 2014, 00:41
Smiths are better.

I'd still buy another for the right deal.

MAINER
June 14, 2014, 09:04
Not exactly a Trooper, but a King Cobra that is based on the Trooper action. I like this revolver quite a bit, but thought the sharp edges around the muzzle and front sight could have been finished off better.

I've fired Trooper MK III's and liked them enough to buy the Cobra, but the Troopers didn't have the sharp edges like the Cobra does.

I would buy a Trooper if the price was right, but I wouldn't pass up a S&W L frame .357 that is about the same size and at least as good in quality and performance.
Colt's usually come with price tags that exceed the practical value of the gun for shooters.

nwobhm
June 14, 2014, 10:04
I had one..... it locked up constantly. Couldn't get through 1 cylinder without a problem.

.30-06
June 14, 2014, 10:48
Smiths are better.

I'd still buy another for the right deal.

I got a model 19, but I think I like the trigger better on the trooper. Haven't put many rounds through it yet...

Retired Bum
June 14, 2014, 16:56
Some shooters seem to be confused by Colt Troopers. There are two distinct and different revolvers both of which are designated as Troopers.

The first is the original Colt Trooper which is based on the so called .41 frame. This is the frame used by the Official Police and Officer's Model Match. It traces it ancestry back to the 1889 Army & Navy Model which was chambered for the .41 Long Colt, the .38 Long Colt, and the .32-20 WCF. In 1905 the A&N became the Army Special and in 1927 it became the Official Police. If my memory hasn't failed me I believe that the Trooper was originally offered in .38 Special only. In 1953 it was brought out in .357 Magnum. In 1955 the Python was introduced and I believe it was the last new model based on the old .41 frame.

About 1968 the new Colt Mark III series of revolvers were introduced. One of these was the Mark III Trooper chambered for the .357 Magnum. The Mark III was a less costly model compared to the older revolvers. It used MIM parts and it didn't require the time consuming hand labor that went into the Officer's Model Match, Trooper, and Python. It was a stronger revolver than the older model and in time Colt brought out the Mark III Cobra version in both blued carbon steel and stainless steel.

I never cared for the Mark III revolvers. The federal prison I worked at replaced it old pre war Official Police revolvers with new Mark III Metropolitan .38 Specials. These revolvers were somewhat less refined than the OP's and the trigger actions were rougher. I shot the new Mark III's for annual qualification with .38 HBWC rounds for several years. The prison used the HBWC for qualification because of the complaints from some officers that the old 158 grain RNL load recoiled too much. Well, what can you expect from staff who never shot a firearm before coming to work for the BOP and never shot except one day a year at the prison range.....

And so it goes.

The Retired One

GSP228
June 14, 2014, 17:54
Another difference is the Trooper had an exposed ejector rod, where the Mark III had an ejector rod shroud. When I started with the state, troopers were issued a S&W 19, a S&W 28, or a Colt Trooper Mark III. One of my Lt.'s, who shot at Camp Perry every year, carried an Official Police in .38 Spl.

FUUN063
June 14, 2014, 20:36
Mine is in its original chambering of .22 Long Rifle and has never been fired. I inherited it from the original owner and he said it never got fired, just put in a drawer because he didn't really like it. I prefer Smith's as well, but I have had many a Trooper MK III and they shoot fine for quite a bit less.

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/FUUN063/Colt22Trooper002.jpg (http://s1185.photobucket.com/user/FUUN063/media/Colt22Trooper002.jpg.html)

Leland

Mark IV
June 14, 2014, 22:55
I've heard from more than one gunsmith that repair/replacement parts are nearly impossible to get.

Retired Bum
June 15, 2014, 16:37
It is my understanding that Colt will not repair any of its double action revolvers and hasn't for some time now. Apparently only the Single Action Army rates any factory work these days. I baby my Colt revolvers, both DA and SA. I have the uncomfortable feeling that one of these days Colt is going to go belly up as it has come close to doing several times in the past two decades. I would hate to see this happen but the Colt owners just can't seem to get their act together when it comes to running the company. They hire non gun people to be CEO's and other high salaried types and then wonder why they keep losing money and gov't contracts to other gun makers like FN and HK....

And so it goes and one of these days it will probably happen.

The Retired One

detroit360
June 16, 2014, 03:18
I have a 1966 trooper 357 mag. that I think is one of the nicest revolvers out there, bar none I don't care what the smith boys say, the early colt troopers are a fine piece.

planner
June 17, 2014, 19:12
I bought a Colt Trooper Mk3 new in 1975. I still have it. I stooped keeping track of rounds fire at 26K. Until this year, (2014); all stoppages were ammo and totaled just a few- mostly range reload wadcutters that were squibs. Just a couple weeks ago, I think the spring that returns the trigger failed, since the trigger didn't return 2 times in a row. I'll check the spring, and keep using this gun frequently, because it's my fave revolver.