PDA

View Full Version : Any difference between W.German P220's and P220's made afterwards quality wise?

.30-06
June 11, 2014, 21:47
Title.

olgunner
June 12, 2014, 22:52
That's a question almost always sure to generate a pissing match.
The W German guns were excellent quality. I don't think many people will dispute that.
It's the US guns that you'll find differing opinions on. Quite honestly, I think the current US guns are very good--as good as the German guns. But for a few years, the quality slipped.

I'm not sure of the years, but Bruce Gray (GrayGuns in Oregon) said the US products contained several MIM pieces for several years that were not of the quality they should have been. To their credit, Sig started doing away with the MIM after a few years and I don't know what parts, if any, are still MIM.
(And for clarity--MIM is not necessarily a bad thing. But substandard MIM is.)

There are some great US models now and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if it was a configuration I wanted.

Thomas
June 13, 2014, 19:47
How do you tell one from the other?

sweetwine
June 13, 2014, 20:07
German 220 have pressed steel slides, US made ones have machines bar stock slides.

sweetwine
June 13, 2014, 20:08
German 220 have pressed steel slides, US made ones have machines bar stock slides. German one are marked made in Germany.

.30-06
June 14, 2014, 17:10
How do you tell one from the other?

The west german ones say "made in W. Germany" in tiny letters on the slide.

moses
June 15, 2014, 19:22
I have a newer US made 220 and it's been 100% reliable and super accurate too!
Otis Treekiller here on the Fal files who is a good friend of mine has a german triple serial number 220 (most if not all german made guns have serial numbers on barrel, frame and slide) and I have shot it and it's just as good, unless you got a lemon that somehow slipped through quality control I think the US guns are every bit as good as the German made guns.

I know that Sig US also uses some parts made in Germany in their US guns just depends on what they had on hand when the gun was built.

Retired Bum
June 20, 2014, 17:25
All German made P220's had the stamped steel slide and triple serials. Mine is stamped made in W. Germany even though it was produced in 1995. Sig Sauer apparently continued to use the old stamps even after reunification in 1991. My newest Sig has a German made frame and a US made slide and barrel. The frame is stamped Made In Germany.

And so it goes.

The Retired One