View Full Version : uhh, need a bit of help-making Savage 720(A5) Riotgun- MAG TUBE ISSUE!

June 03, 2014, 15:24
:(:(Hey guys, I am finally messing with an old Savage 720(Remington 11/Browning A5) and am starting to change it to a riot gun and have run into a BIG snag regarding the mag tube... and a couple other questions...

Magtube issue- shotgun say 3 shot.... fair enough, disassemble to take out the 'limiter...' aaand guess what.. Savage uses a 2 piece tube with the threaded end that has the endcap threads on it threading INTO the magtube and it has a long 'nose' so it prevents the spring from using the whole tube and COMPLETELY prevents the follower from using the whole tube.......
Even if I cut the 'nose' off the piece the bore of the piece MAYBE lets the mag spring through BUT there is NO WAY to have the follower pass throuhg... unless it is bored out like an 1/8"+ in the ID...
SO I need to know if I can use a remington or browning magtube spring and follower, well really the tube,follower and endcap for the tube, then I will be using a Nordic Components extension kit to get to 8 rounds or so.... have not decided on how long to chop the barrel to, right now I think it is like 30" with a polychoke.

I was hoping to do a cheap riotgun(bought this for the princely sum of $146+ 20 shipping.... and this really is in pretty good clean shape.. basically only wanted/need to replace forend ,add magtube kit,chop barrel and done! maybe in the future put a zombie pickle sticker on the end:uhoh::wink::]:beer:

Other question, forend suggestions? I am looking at a nice walnut one for cheap but listed for Rem 11--- My forend apparently is notched to slip into the front of the receiver, I see rem 11 have 2 'pins'(?), dont know on the A5's....

I know there were a couple guys here who did these, any help on this would be great....:beer::beer:

June 04, 2014, 09:29
Nevermind, got it sorted I think, found a c 5 shot tube that is 1 piece and hopefully will allow me to install a nordic mmag tube extension. Will post pics when done..

June 04, 2014, 12:48
I'd like to know this as well. I have a Savage that is a candidate for a longer tube. I haven't taken it apart yet though.

June 04, 2014, 17:30
I will post pics of the 3 shot mag tube assy once I have the 5 shot tube so you can see this fiasco they came up with.... Bladewurk- if yours says '3 shot' along the lower edge of the LHS of the receiver, you may have the same thing.. if it is blank or a '5 shot' you are probably good to go..

June 06, 2014, 19:58
I will post pics of the 3 shot mag tube assy once I have the 5 shot tube so you can see this fiasco they came up with.... Bladewurk- if yours says '3 shot' along the lower edge of the LHS of the receiver, you may have the same thing.. if it is blank or a '5 shot' you are probably good to go..******** ***************** ***************************************** width="1" height="1"><param value="*********************************************"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="*********************************************" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object>

Sounds good! Let's see those pictures :)

June 06, 2014, 21:06
soon as I get the 5 shot tube, then I will take the shotgun apart and the tube.... I sent off payment for the tube, hoping it will be here by mid week.....

Now I just need to decide how far back to chop the barrel.... thinking 20" or so, can do a +4 shell tube, if I go to 22-24- do +6.... crap gets looong though...:uhoh:

June 17, 2014, 02:17
Alright, update finally on this....

Received the 5 shot mag tube today, proceeded to swap out the 3 shot tube on my savage 720 and found out a few things.. of which a couple I am not happy with..

1- not only is the 3 shot tube a different length than the 5 shot(I thought they just machined a 5 shot into a 3 shot) BUT the Endcap and thread size of the 3 shot is SMALLER than a 5 shot--WTFH!:redface::redface: Savage ACTUALLY made the front portion with the different thread size,cap and threaded a normal tube internally to do the limiter instead of just making a spacer or dowel.... talk about over engineering ....

2- the forend is also shorter than a 5 shot..:redface::redface::uhoh: and I would have no clue at this point if a Rem 11 or A5 5 shot forend will even work but will find out when I get one....

THANK GOD the 5 shot tube and 3 shot main tube are the same diameter AND the same thread at the receiver end AND the follower is good to go... the spring for the 3 shot is compressed so much that I THINK it is actually for the 5 shot... but since I am going for a Nordic extension soon I guess it is a moot point.

So now I need a new /replacement forend , not going to bother with getting a proper end cap since going Nordic.... but dammit, always something.
That Nordic BETTER thread on and not give me grief otherwise iwill be looking for a Rem 11 or A5 tube and make it work...

I will now post a few pics, sorry for the quality and somewhat lack of description but you can see the tubes and also a warning, IF you look at a 720 and it says '3 shot model' on the receiver like mine, beware if you want to change/extend mag capacity....... Otherwise I think for the money it was a good buy still.....

Now pics...

June 18, 2014, 21:32
I think I'd just get an 870, 1100 or an 1187. I think all the tubes interchange on those. keeps things much simpler.

I do like those old A5s and the copies.

June 18, 2014, 23:19
Yea, but I feel like I need a recoil operated riot gun where the barrel moves back and forth like a cannon!:biggrin: just something about it, when someone 1st posted one here I was like , ok cool, CR semi auto rio gun on the cheap:biggrin: maybe not going to be that cheap:facepalm: but still total like ...... $300 or less total.....:biggrin::beer: