PDA

View Full Version : Lane Suppressors

ratas calientes
May 27, 2014, 23:56
Anyone familiar with Lane Suppressors? What can you tell me? http://www.lane-products.com/index.html

2barearms
May 28, 2014, 13:32
I'd go with the known stuff. Compare it to SWR.

Scott S
May 29, 2014, 11:56
This is the first I've heard about them, but I do like the monocore design with unthreaded tube. However, if your dealer doesn't have any in stock, might be a long wait for one.

doneill
June 01, 2014, 10:23
I thought I would respond to this and share some ideas about buying less familiar brands.

I'm a Yankee (my first wife would call me cheap). I tend to look for value for my money. In some cases you get great value for your money and sometimes you get a lot less than you expect.

I liked the introductory price of the lane, liked the overall design, and spoke to a couple of folks that had them. After some consideration I ordered a titanium 5.56. I am not a tactical officer or operator so a threaded unit is fine with me. The weight was good. The size was similar to other units.

I am a bit concerned that the unit has the volume of each chamber the same. To me, it makes intuitive sense to me that the volume of the first chamber should be larger. I also wonder if another baffle (similar to their 22lr design) would reduce the signature more, but what works with subsonic .22, 9mm and .38 may not work in a rifle where the projectile will be supersonic anyway.

I have heard rumors of folks using the Lane .22 can in stainless on AR's and getting results as good as with the 5.56 can. I assume that is semi auto use. I am not advocating that, just reporting a rumor.

My 5.56 Lane can is at my dealer now and I am waiting on the form 4. At this point all I can say is that it seems well machined, lightweight and attractive.

Once I get to test fire it. (I will use it on an Colt 614 and try it with different barrel lengths starting with 14.5", a 10-22 and a belt fed .22 lr upper on the AR). If the 10-22 sounds good, I will get a threaded ruger 22 pistol upper too. Initially, I will be able to make a comparison to the only other detachable can I own, a CAC9 on the 10-22. I will report here. This might be fair because neither is designed as a 22 can but both can be used for that caliber.

The CAC9 is a high volume can originally designed, I think, for the MAC series. I use the CAC on several 9mm firearms. With 158 gr Fiocchi it is compares pretty well with more expensive suppressors on an Uzi. With standard 158 gr 38 spl loads through a NEF carbine, it is very quiet. Another advantage of a can is that when shooting .22, the lead deposits in the can and keeps a lot of lead dust out of the air.

The great thing about the CAC 9 is the customer service. I am on my third baffle stack. I have had it upgraded with Bower's new mount.
A basic cleaning and service costs $20 and has a week turn around. At the time i bought it Bowers was not all that well known. It has turned out to be a great purchase. I am hoping that the Lane turns out to be as good a can in the long run.

I am sure others will report horror stories with bargain cans and I understand that some makers have had disappointing customer service and quality control. I bet on the Lane and should find out if I won or lost in the not too distant future when the Form 4 comes in.

Dave

ratas calientes
June 01, 2014, 20:00
Thanks for the comments. I look forward to Dave receiving his Lane suppressor and reporting back on how it works.

doneill
June 01, 2014, 22:18
Ordered last June 04, (2013). To my dealer Jan 3, Form 4 submitted late Jan.

It has been long enough that the form 4 might show up at any time but it might take 3 more months or s!

Dave