PDA

View Full Version : Different ammo brands are different?

D P Six
May 24, 2014, 20:55
While my shooting is marginal at best, getting 2 1/2" groups with a scoped 10/22 supported @ 36 yds. is disconcerting. I was using Winchester T22, which I have had reliability issues in the past. In desperation I dug out some CCI mini mag which brought the group size down to 5/8". Could this batch of Winchesters just be defective or are different ammo brands that different?

Stranger
May 24, 2014, 22:56
While my shooting is marginal at best, getting 2 1/2" groups with a scoped 10/22 supported @ 36 yds. is disconcerting. I was using Winchester T22, which I have had reliability issues in the past. In desperation I dug out some CCI mini mag which brought the group size down to 5/8". Could this batch of Winchesters just be defective or are different ammo brands that different?

Quality varies broadly with brand and batch, in my experience.

Federal was my favorite for many years. Now I wouldn't buy Federal if it was the only 22LR on the shelf. The only thing consistent about it now is that it is ALWAYS underpowered/undercharged. It is typically 100-200 FPS slower than what is listed on the box. The velocities vary as much as 100 FPS.

Remington is hit or miss depending on the lot. I have been having lots of issues with bad primers lately.

Anything by CCI is usually good to go. I just with I had purchased more of the Velocitor ammo. That is some really consistent ammo.

hardass
May 24, 2014, 23:01
I just bought a new .22 today and have been shooting some of my very old stock ammo. Mostly Remington and some Federal. I've read on some other forums that newer .22 ammo is not as good shooting as some of the older stuff, but can't say for sure cause I don't have any new ammo.

I'm sure that with all this shortage bullshit and rushing to keep up with the demand that some companies Q.C has suffered.

fnogger
June 08, 2014, 13:19
Shot my almost NIB '93 vintage 10/22 today for the second time. First time out was irons and more of a function test and to see what I was starting with. Not bad, but terrible trigger.

Put a scope on and took it for groups today. Using CCI SV and SK Magazine I was getting groups at 25 yards nice enough to consider using this rifle for our next "medicine match" (tylenols glued to toothpicks at 25 and 50 yards... ran 20/20 today with my Savage). In fact, if I can get the trigger work done before next month I will :)

Unlike the Savage, the Ruger didn't seem to need/want 20-25 "fouling rounds" between ammo changes and shooting as good as it can. Kinda nice.

MAINER
June 09, 2014, 08:47
My 52 Winchester loves Winchester .22 ammo that was made for the military? Marked "Caliber 22 Ball Long Rifle Standard Velocity".
I always thought this was T-22 in a plain white box, but maybe not.

Same rifle doesn't like Federal Match .22's at all, and shoots cheap bulk ammo as well or better. Each rifle has its own preferences in ammunition.

Tylenols? Wouldn't aspirin be just as good and cheaper? Used to have a small board with a thin slot for holding Necco Wafers, mini clays. My daughter, when young called them "Target Candy".

W.E.G.
June 09, 2014, 09:02
There is a reason why accurate .22RF ammo costs more.

If you are just bouncing soup cans a 5 yards, anything that cycles will do.

DYNOMIKE
June 09, 2014, 09:31
.22 Rimfire Ammo (and guns for that mater) is notoriously sensitive/finicky....
One bx might shoot fer shit in one gun and shoot great in another..

For years if/when I was heading to the range with a new or different .22 I would often take 6-10 diff .22 ammo types and shoot groups at 50 yds with ea one.. It will very quickly become apparent what a specific gun likes or doesn't.

And YES, there is a reason quality/consistent .22 ammo costs more..
WOLF MATCH and or Match X-tra ($80.00-$90.00 per brick last time I looked) for example shoots pretty impressive groups from my heavy barreled 10/22's and my CZ Kadet upper..
But won't reliably function in my H/S Supermatic Trophy's or my S&W M41??
Ammo that functions and shoots great in these guns doesn't always do so in others??
It's ones of life's' mysteries.... ;)

chet
June 09, 2014, 15:20
Someday, I will find a .22 rifle and pistol that both love the same ammo. Until then……….:mad:

DYNOMIKE
June 11, 2014, 11:02
Someday, I will find a .22 rifle and pistol that both love the same ammo. Until then……….:mad:

I've gotten "close"...
But that only because the CZ Kadet seems to like pretty much everything I feed it and my 10/22's will shoot decent with a little variety of stuff...

tac-40
June 11, 2014, 20:38
Someday, I will find a .22 rifle and pistol that both love the same ammo. Until then……….

Well I found it. I use the CCI AR tactical ammo. 40 gr copper round nose. It shoots better than my abilities through my AR adapter, BRNO No1, MAS 45 and my Browning Buckmark. Now, I am not saying this is a one hole group ammo, but I am saying that I am satisfied with its performance and I still hae improvement to make and not worry about being held back by the ammo - so far.

ftierson
June 11, 2014, 20:43
Well I found it. I use the CCI AR tactical ammo. 40 gr copper round nose. It shoots better than my abilities through my AR adapter, BRNO No1, MAS 45 and my Browning Buckmark. Now, I am not saying this is a one hole group ammo, but I am saying that I am satisfied with its performance and I still hae improvement to make and not worry about being held back by the ammo - so far.

Unfortunately, the next lot you buy may perform no where near as well.

When you find a good 'load,' buy all that you can right then...

Forrest

DYNOMIKE
June 11, 2014, 21:29
Unfortunately, the next lot you buy may perform no where near as well.

When you find a good 'load,' buy all that you can right then...

Forrest

Boy aint that the truth.....

tac-40
June 12, 2014, 19:12
I agree. I learned that buying mil-surp. So I bought about 2k of the stuff when it was on sale a long while back. Still have about 1k left. Now just waiting for some more to become affordavailable.