PDA

View Full Version : Colt Mustang Question

gobbler
May 23, 2014, 07:17
Should the hammer drop with the safety engaged when a mustang is on half cock or hammer down? This is my 1st real experience with one......also the safety is not crisp when cocked & locked. Any suggestions?

gobbler

olgunner
May 25, 2014, 13:40
Interesting question, since I don't think I ever checked before...

I don't have a Mustang, but I have two .380 Govt Models which I believe are the same internal design. And you don't specify if yours is a classic or new prod, but I'm not sure there's much difference there, either.

But for what it's worth, both of my GMs behave the same:
Hammer back and safety engaged: Safety works as designed (hammer does not drop).
Hammer at "half-notch" and safety engaged: Hammer drops when trigger is pulled.
Also, if the hammer is down and safety engaged, I can thumb back the safety to half-notch, but no further. To fully cock the hammer, the safety must be disengaged.

Both of these pistols are in excellent condition and have been fired very little (neither are close to the thousand-round mark yet), so as far as I know, these behaviors are by design.
...FWIW.

As for the crispness of your safety, one of mine has a great "snap," while the other is a softer click. This is a function of the precise shape and depth of the detent on the backside of the switch, and the strength of the detent pin spring. You might be able to replace the spring (Wolff used to sell them, but you might be able to get them from Colt or other sources now that Colt is making the Mustang again)...but as long as the safety remains in the position you put it in, the "snap" may be more of a personal comfort issue than a mechanical requirement.

Last I checked, Cylinder & Slide was pretty much the only place that worked on the old .380s, but with new production, I'm hoping other smiths will start offering tuning and upgrades.

stitcher
May 25, 2014, 14:00
I'm no pro, but sounds fishy...maybe somebody dif some home gunsmithing?

olgunner
May 25, 2014, 15:31
Understand that the "half-notch" on these is more like a quarter notch--leaves maybe 1/4" of travel under very light spring tension. Since these are inertial firing pins, dropping the hammer from the "quarter" notch probably doesn't present much risk.

Also, consider that the half-cock notch is not intended to be used as a carry position. It's an added safety to catch the hammer if it's accidentally dropped.

If the OP's pistol acts this way, and both of mine act the same way, it's unlikely that Bubba got to all of them the same way. I'm guessing it's simply a feature of the design--even if unintentional.

BTW, I checked gunsprings.com (Wolff) and they do still carry springs for these little pistols. They offer a "Service Pak" that includes "12 Lb. extra power recoil spring, extra power firing pin spring, hammer spring, magazine catch spring and firing pin safety spring and safety plunger spring" for $12.99, or $18.29 with an extra-power mag spring.

olgunner
May 25, 2014, 15:34
I just looked at your website, Stitcher. Some nice looking leather there!
Since we're on the topic (sort of), I don't suppose you make a holster for these old .380 Govt Models, do you?
It's a lot easier to find leather for the Mustangs than for the slightly longer GM.

stitcher
May 25, 2014, 15:58
I just looked at your website, Stitcher. Some nice looking leather there!
Since we're on the topic (sort of), I don't suppose you make a holster for these old .380 Govt Models, do you?
It's a lot easier to find leather for the Mustangs than for the slightly longer GM.

Thanks, I'm awaiting a website update, my designs and finishes have improved greatly!
I'm limited to available training weapons, I need a blank to make a holster :(

silenced46
May 26, 2014, 06:26
Yeah, it's normal. I have several and they are all this way.

gobbler
May 26, 2014, 09:48
Thanks guys,
Mine is an older Mustang & it looks like it hasn't been fired much, if at all. I have always wanted one & finally took the plunge. I may round up a new spring just to see what difference it makes......think Brownells may have a couple listed. Now if we can find Josh a pattern....... we can have some quality holsters for the little buggers!

gobbler