PDA

View Full Version : Tales of a Walmart .22 Hoarder

Bubacus
May 18, 2014, 22:11
This guy has quite a bit of time on his hands...That pesky thing called a job gets in the way of me getting to the .22 LR on Walmart shelves at 8:03am.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WAWS4dYthEE?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

EPC WN
May 18, 2014, 23:22
Looks like he made over 700 bucks to me. All he has to do is take it to the fun show where jack asses are paying 75 bucks a box for the 550s. :facepalm:

E5c03
May 18, 2014, 23:44
Haaaha,,guess he doesn't come here.
There is always ammo

.30-06
May 19, 2014, 15:57
Assholes like this piss me off. He's the reason that regular people cant get any .22 because the shelves are bare by the time we get off work...

ALL FAL
May 19, 2014, 16:21
Assholes like this piss me off. He's the reason that regular people cant get any .22 because the shelves are bare by the time we get off work...

True story. Some of those guys here do not just make a little extra cash, they are making a Living off this behavior and some of the walmart employee's are complicit too, sometimes ammo does not even make it to the shelf, it is reserved for those azzholes.

I have enough .22 for some time but it is the principal, and these guys keep the availability low and the price high.

olgier
May 19, 2014, 16:30
meh. Once people stop buying it from the scalpers, it with smooth out. I haven't bought any in over a year. (on purpose)

Bubacus
May 19, 2014, 17:41
I haven't bought a brick in about a year myself...I don't want to feed into this behavior and I'm just too damn cheap...

K. Funk
May 19, 2014, 18:41
I am well stocked in regular .22, I picked up a few bricks here and there from some of the estates I have handled over the years. The only .22 I have been buying is the CCI 1050 fps subsonic for use in the suppressed 10/22. I am paying about $7.50 for 100 locally, but supply is sporadic and rationed. Regular .22 continues to sell for about $100 for 500 at auction. A guy wanted to trade me .22 ammo for a VZ-24 I was selling on GB. I just could not fathom myself trading a nice Mauser rifle for 3 bricks of .22!!!

krf

Guy-epic
May 19, 2014, 18:42
Wow I guess I am lucky I tell my friend that owns a gun store when I want more he calls me I go pick it up when it comes in. This guy is sick, but you know what if people are stupid and pay the price it is what it is. I love the fact he was ticked off a employee bought a box. Really? He is just a dirt bag.

ALL FAL
May 19, 2014, 21:17
Wouldn't ya just love to hook that fugger up to a Taser. FOR A WEEK.

justashooter
May 19, 2014, 22:57
i just couldn't sit thru the whole thing. hillbilly aholes just make me want to puke.

Blackmore
May 20, 2014, 07:50
hillbilly aholes just make me want to puke.

Neckbeards.

I always thought they were an ARF.com myth, but saw one in the wild at WalMart yesterday.

MAINER
May 20, 2014, 09:11
Local Wallymart has a sign on the ammo case, "Notice, due to limited supply there is a limit on .22 ammo, three boxes of 50 ea. per customer a day".

I'm guessing other Wallys have a first come, first serve free for all.?

Insider
May 20, 2014, 10:46
Who would have thought we would see the days of .22 rationing!:cry:

Thorack
May 20, 2014, 11:33
Yep,

So much a .22 being a cheap training rifle. Wonder if 10/22 sales have slowed down?

Thorack

Guy-epic
May 20, 2014, 11:49
I disagree I still get the ammo cheap and this will pass give it time

longhair51
May 20, 2014, 17:49
I just got home from the walmart closest to me. It's about 30 miles east of Independence, MO, and 14 miles from me. The ammo case was full of almost everything except .22. There was a sign indicating a 3 box limit on .22. All ammo was behind locked sliding glass doors.

Part of me would like to see these guys having to eat all of these .22s' that their buying. On the other hand, part of me sees a businessman at work.

Blackmore
May 21, 2014, 09:06
Yep,

So much a .22 being a cheap training rifle. Wonder if 10/22 sales have slowed down?

Thorack

Based on my own experience working the last year's worth of gunshows along with talking to other dealers, the difficulty get .22LR ammo is affecting sales of anything in that caliber.

W.E.G.
May 21, 2014, 09:12
neck-beard-mobile ready to launch

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/neckbeardcar_zpscb08c7d7.jpg

12v71
May 21, 2014, 11:07
:rofl::rofl:

Guy-epic
May 21, 2014, 12:23
The great thing about 22 ammo going up it has made it harder for guys to sale some rifles and pistols in 22. I have a young son and I have been on a small buying spree to make sure he will have plenty of things to shoot at the range with daddy.

Beckman
May 21, 2014, 15:06
The Great Ammo Shortage is first and foremost due to the antigunners, specifically Obama and his pals.

Yes, many people have profited from the panic buying of guns and ammo, but that panic was started by the threat of more gun control. Although I detest those who hoard and resell, the real problem is those who want to ban or control the sales of guns, ammo, and magazines.

Illurian00
May 21, 2014, 15:38
Going back to 2007 I was telling people to buy ammo. I wished I had bought more.

The stores iin my area have gained a good stock of ammo in general,,,but 22 rimfire is 'hard come by'. When (if) I find it, I buy what I can. I'll call a couple of my brothers and a friend or two and tip them off as well.

If this guy was buying beans & rice no one would give a hoot. My complaint is that he is beating me to it,,,:redface::rolleyes:

W.E.G.
May 21, 2014, 15:45
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/gixxerjoeca/article-1353166-0D06EA08000005DC-655_634x416-1.jpg

...and then there's http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76533&stc=1&d=1400705278

RT
May 22, 2014, 03:29
If any of y'all have a extra brick of 550 I can use it my walmart never has it. So if you don't want to Rape me pm me a price that is fair thanks Richard

paulo
May 22, 2014, 20:34
Fu%k this cheese dick. It ain't right.

Thorack
May 23, 2014, 08:24
So,

This guy makes up for all the gas he spends driving to 5 different Walmarts? HOLY Crap whats the markup nowadays on .22? Thats insane!

Thorack

GOVT1911
May 23, 2014, 21:55
It's Capitalism at work. For any of y'all bitching about people selling for a profit, I'll gladly sell you a couple k of .22lr at 2005 prices if you'll sell me your FAL or kits priced from the same timeframe. :-)

chet
May 24, 2014, 11:53
Any of you guys figure out why this only occurs at Walmart? It's because Wal mart is actually selling BELOW market price. If they weren't, there wouldn't be a margin here, but there is. I used to be shocked when I read posts from anti capitalists complaining about a man turning a buck. Ignorance ain't bliss, I guess.

L Haney
May 24, 2014, 13:08
It's Capitalism at work.

So is selling C/D sheathing plywood at a hundred bucks a sheet after a hurricane in the area.

I just make note of who's doing it and make sure I can be of assistance to them in the future.

chet
May 26, 2014, 10:28
So is selling C/D sheathing plywood at a hundred bucks a sheet after a hurricane in the area.

I just make note of who's doing it and make sure I can be of assistance to them in the future.

Because an individual who fronts the cash for the lumber and the truck to move it, sleeps and eats in said truck, and plays a very dicey game of beating the rest of the incoming supply, you know, while there is still something to keep dry………deserves to operate at a loss. :facepalm:

Do all you "anti-gougers" go to movie theaters and protest the price of tickets for first run movies and jujube's too, or what? After all, we can go to Redbox at the drugstore and get the same movie and candy for $1.35 total. Death to cinematic capitalist pigs! (Maybe that's why it's called 'Redbox')

.30-06
May 26, 2014, 15:07
It's Capitalism at work. For any of y'all bitching about people selling for a profit

It has nothing to do with selling for a profit, take my word on this one. It's that people like this hoard as much as possible and leave almost nothing for the rest of us. At this point whatever is left is sold at insane prices. I've converted many nay-sayers who hated guns to enjoy it and even go on to buy their own by taking them to the range in the past and shooting a couple of bricks of .22. Believe me, I was afraid of guns before a buddy of mine took me to the range with a couple of 10/22's years ago. However now, I can't take friends to the range for some cheap fun because .22 is so scarce. This behavior is killing off the opportunity for regular people to afford ammo and keep their skills sharp.

.30-06
May 26, 2014, 16:03
Do all you "anti-gougers" go to movie theaters and protest the price of tickets for first run movies and jujube's too, or what? After all, we can go to Redbox at the drugstore and get the same movie and candy for $1.35 total. Death to cinematic capitalist pigs! (Maybe that's why it's called 'Redbox')

Some of us are smart enough to download our movies online...

Illurian00
May 26, 2014, 17:19
The great thing about 22 ammo going up it has made it harder for guys to sale some rifles and pistols in 22. I have a young son and I have been on a small buying spree to make sure he will have plenty of things to shoot at the range with daddy.

Oh ? So you admit you're a hoarder ? :uhoh:

Nomad, 2nd
May 27, 2014, 01:50

1. Anti hoarding laws only apply to certain things. And ammo AIN'T one of them.

2. Let me explain to you how the market works: prices rise or fall till demand and supply meet.

Me, I'm not in the market, I bout back when it was cheap, so im helping you unprepared types by REDUCING market demand.

Want prices to fall, it's REALLY SIMPLE: STOP BUYING till it hits. A price you are willing to buy at.

SO SIMPLE A CAVEMAN COULD DO IT!!!

chet
May 27, 2014, 13:38
It has nothing to do with selling for a profit, take my word on this one. It's that people like this hoard as much as possible and leave almost nothing for the rest of us.

Interesting that you would put "your word" up as collateral on a really stupid economic concept. The idea that anyone has to leave anything, much less some silly rimfire rounds, on the shelf "for the rest of us" is……wait for it…..communist. I know communists are uncomfortable with certain truths but let me toss one up over the rim for you: anytime "the rest of us" get real tired of .22 availability, someone can open a new business and try their luck. If they can actually produce enough for someone to take notice, be prepared for prices to drop like French rifles about the time the start up capital is spent. :) Cheers.

At this point whatever is left is sold at insane prices.

There you go with that artificially constrained market stuff again. Silly communists. :confused:

I've converted many nay-sayers who hated guns to enjoy it and even go on to buy their own by taking them to the range in the past and shooting a couple of bricks of .22. Believe me, I was afraid of guns before a buddy of mine took me to the range with a couple of 10/22's years ago. However now, I can't take friends to the range for some cheap fun because .22 is so scarce. This behavior is killing off the opportunity for regular people to afford ammo and keep their skills sharp.

Imma help you out again because introducing someone to the sport of shooting has about as much to do with "converting" as introducing someone to knitting does. What did you think you converted them to? A patriot? A person who values and understands freedom? Please. Millions of child soldiers the world over have clue one about freedom when the local warlord puts an AK in their hands.

Regardless, how 'bout some Econ 150 homework?

1. What is the per pound increase in the cost of metals since 2000?
Copper?
Lead?
Brass?

1a. How do you expect this to affect ammunition prices?

2.Has the international demand for base metals continued to rise despite cost increases?

2a. How has the buying power of the devalued dollar fared against world currencies in this market?

3. Has the cost of doing business in the USA increased MORE because of:

A. Higher fuel prices over the last decade.
B. New govt bureaucracy like Obamacare, EPA nonsense and nebulous import restrictions.
C. Both are equally crappy.

4. From a manufacturer's perspective, how would you explain lower sales in larger calibers and it's effect on rimfire sales and prices?
A. An increase in demand for .22 was due to a shift in consumer behavior - i.e. the consumer is trying to find the least expensive ammo regardless of caliber.
B. Lower sales margins from centerfire calibers means the margin from rimfire must go up to float the ammunition business.
C. The massive reduction in US and foreign military revenue streams puts stress on the remaining revenue generators, like sporting ammunition.
D. Unlike centerfire calibers, rimfire machinery is unique. In order to increase production, additional rimfire machinery has to be purchased rather than converted from center fire machinery. However, an uncertain economy makes capital purchases unadvisable. It is better to operate at max capacity for now rather than incur the risk of capital investment to meet a temporary demand spike.
E. All of the above.

5. From a wholesale standpoint, which is better:
A. Having a large retailer who pays net 30 for an entire production run who intends to resell it as a loss leader to increase floor traffic. Retailer will also purchase NUMEROUS other licensed products at a significantly higher margin which will offset margin for both manufacturer and retailer.
B. Having thousands of small retailers who might pay net 90 and, due to uncertainty, may change orders drastically.

6. As a retailer, what is the purpose of limiting the purchase of items that are priced below market (loss leaders) i.e. limit 2 per customer:
A. It is to institute a sense of fairness on the planet. After all, everyone NEEDS .22 ammo and we are morally obligated to make sure they get it.
B. It is to stretch the length of time we have product on the shelf, after all, we are selling this stuff for very little or no profit. We want to attract as much floor traffic with it as possible so the consumer will buy other stuff, like a $20 Remington hat, which is 300% profit for us.

Post your answers below.

GOVT1911
May 27, 2014, 13:46
Interesting that you would put "your word" up as collateral on a really stupid economic concept. The idea that anyone has to leave anything, much less some silly rimfire rounds, on the shelf "for the rest of us" is……wait for it…..communist. I know communists are uncomfortable with certain truths but let me toss one up over the rim for you: anytime "the rest of us" get real tired of .22 availability, someone can open a new business and try their luck. If they can actually produce enough for someone to take notice, be prepared for prices to drop like French rifles about the time the start up capital is spent. :) Cheers.

There you go with that artificially constrained market stuff again. Silly communists. :confused:

Imma help you out again because introducing someone to the sport of shooting has about as much to do with "converting" as introducing someone to knitting does. What did you think you converted them to? A patriot? A person who values and understands freedom? Please. Millions of child soldiers the world over have clue one about freedom when the local warlord puts an AK in their hands.

Regardless, how 'bout some Econ 150 homework?

1. What is the per pound increase in the cost of metals since 2000?
Copper?
Lead?
Brass?

1a. How do you expect this to affect ammunition prices?

2.Has the international demand for base metals continued to rise despite cost increases?

2a. How has the buying power of the devalued dollar fared against world currencies in this market?

3. Has the cost of doing business in the USA increased MORE because of:

A. Higher fuel prices over the last decade.
B. New govt bureaucracy like Obamacare, EPA nonsense and nebulous import restrictions.
C. Both are equally crappy.

4. From a manufacturer's perspective, how would you explain lower sales in larger calibers and it's effect on rimfire sales and prices?
A. An increase in demand for .22 was due to a shift in consumer behavior - i.e. the consumer is trying to find the least expensive ammo regardless of caliber.
B. Lower sales margins from centerfire calibers means the margin from rimfire must go up to float the ammunition business.
C. The massive reduction in US and foreign military revenue streams puts stress on the remaining revenue generators, like sporting ammunition.
D. Unlike centerfire calibers, rimfire machinery is unique. In order to increase production, additional rimfire machinery has to be purchased rather than converted from center fire machinery. However, an uncertain economy makes capital purchases unadvisable. It is better to operate at max capacity for now rather than incur the risk of capital investment to meet a temporary demand spike.
E. All of the above.

5. From a wholesale standpoint, which is better:
A. Having a large retailer who pays net 30 for an entire production run who intends to resell it as a loss leader to increase floor traffic. Retailer will also purchase NUMEROUS other licensed products at a significantly higher margin which will offset margin for both manufacturer and retailer.
B. Having thousands of small retailers who might pay net 90 and, due to uncertainty, may change orders drastically.

6. As a retailer, what is the purpose of limiting the purchase of items that are priced below market (loss leaders) i.e. limit 2 per customer:
A. It is to institute a sense of fairness on the planet. After all, everyone NEEDS .22 ammo and we are morally obligated to make sure they get it.
B. It is to stretch the length of time we have product on the shelf, after all, we are selling this stuff for very little or no profit. We want to attract as much floor traffic with it as possible so the consumer will buy other stuff, like a $20 Remington hat, which is 300% profit for us.

Post your answers below.

Well said, Chet.

GOVT1911
May 27, 2014, 13:50
It has nothing to do with selling for a profit, take my word on this one. It's that people like this hoard as much as possible and leave almost nothing for the rest of us. At this point whatever is left is sold at insane prices. I've converted many nay-sayers who hated guns to enjoy it and even go on to buy their own by taking them to the range in the past and shooting a couple of bricks of .22. Believe me, I was afraid of guns before a buddy of mine took me to the range with a couple of 10/22's years ago. However now, I can't take friends to the range for some cheap fun because .22 is so scarce. This behavior is killing off the opportunity for regular people to afford ammo and keep their skills sharp.

You're upset because someone else places more value on finding and buying a product than you do. Most of the "ammo gougers/resellers" I've seen spend a considerable amount of time tracking down the items they want. Who are you or I to tell them what they can/can't sell THEIR items for?

That would be like saying that I know you got a really good deal on that Polytec Legend AK for $300, you're a complete asshole if you don't sell it to me for the same price. I don't care if the current market value is $1000, you're nothing but a gouger if you sell it for much more than you paid.

.30-06
May 27, 2014, 14:19
I stopped reading chet's hissy fit after the word "communist" got thrown out. Have we already resorted to name calling? My point being is that ammo gougers are only hurting the sport. I'd rather take one box instead of two if it meant that someone else would get to go shooting as well. And even when I go shooting, I share my ammo with my friends because I enjoy the fact that I can share the fun with others. Like I mentioned before, the best way to show someone who hates guns how stupid the anti-gun mindset is, is by taking them shooting. The local ranges have seen dramatic declines in attendance since prices went ballistic, this in turn causes memberships and entry fees to rise. Then all of the sudden people stop buying ammo and gun ownership takes a dive. Then the government has an easier time pushing further anti-gun legislation because the pro-gun side doesn't have the numbers to stop it, which in return further diminishes our gun rights. I live in CA and I have seen first-hand what happens when gun/ammo prices and taxes soar...people lose interest. I'm not suggesting you can't buy ammo, nor should you stop. I'm just simply pointing out the fact that you are hurting the gun community and it has and will make things worse. I guess I'm just one of those people that you know...thinks about others from time to time, which apparently makes me a communist.

.30-06
May 27, 2014, 14:26
That would be like saying that I know you got a really good deal on that Polytec Legend AK for $300, you're a complete asshole if you don't sell it to me for the same price. I don't care if the current market value is $1000, you're nothing but a gouger if you sell it for much more than you paid.

That's not the argument I'm making here, a steady rise in price comes with the market, I get that. Not to mention that they are no longer being made/imported to the US, however .22 is still being produced. A jump from $20 per box of 500 to $60 overnight on something that is still being made in the same numbers as before is ridiculous. Plus, you can still build an ak for about $300 with the right tools...

Illurian00
May 27, 2014, 14:51
30/06 :
"the local ranges have seen dramatic declines in attendance since prices went ballistic, this in turn causes memberships and entry fees to rise."

Memberships tend to, actually are in decline. Ofcourse, this is not a good thing. Dues will rise till they hit a point most are unwilling/unable to pay."]"Then all of the sudden people stop buying ammo and gun ownership takes a dive. Then the government has an easier time pushing further anti-gun legislation because the pro-gun side doesn't have the numbers to stop it, which in return further diminishes our gun rights. I live in CA and I have seen first-hand what happens when gun/ammo prices and taxes soar...people lose interest."

The average gun owner/fudd has never been a threat to TPTB. 'Our' side has ever been ; complacent, indifferent, selfish, ignorant, cowardly and cheap. We would sooner bicker among ourselves.That is why we lose, and continue to lose.
The current crisis simply exacerbates 'our' longstanding , ongoing decline.
We lose because we deserve to lose.

chet
May 27, 2014, 15:28
I stopped reading chet's hissy fit after the word "communist" got thrown out. Have we already resorted to name calling?

Look, get comfortable with it - there is no other word for your philosophy. Claiming that someone else OWES YOU OR ANYONE ELSE a retail product is straight out of the manifesto. The fact you don't understand this is probably why you are still uncomfortable with the word.

My point being is that ammo gougers are only hurting the sport.

Your point is invalid because you still don't understand why Wal Mart is selling .22 ammo at the same price most distributors are.

I'd rather take one box instead of two if it meant that someone else would get to go shooting as well. And even when I go shooting, I share my ammo with my friends because I enjoy the fact that I can share the fun with others. Like I mentioned before, the best way to show someone who hates guns how stupid the anti-gun mindset is, is by taking them shooting.

And yet, "the best way to show people how great capitalism is, is by leaving product on the shelf"?? Yeah, it don't fly, does it?

The local ranges have seen dramatic declines in attendance since prices went ballistic, this in turn causes memberships and entry fees to rise.

Well, no screaming eagle puckey. Welcome to the recession, bro. You may still not have a grasp on the situation but if you do your Econ 150 homework, you are going to get a glimpse into the nightmare US business is facing.

Then all of the sudden people stop buying ammo and gun ownership takes a dive.

People stop buying stuff when they run out of money to buy it with. Buying two boxes of ammo at a time is not going to reduce the price of ammo and it is not going to put money back in other consumer's pockets. I realize this is an alien concept for a zero sum, local activist thinker. But, there it is.

Then the government has an easier time pushing further anti-gun legislation because the pro-gun side doesn't have the numbers to stop it, which in return further diminishes our gun rights. I live in CA and I have seen first-hand what happens when gun/ammo prices and taxes soar...people lose interest.

No, the govt has an easier time pushing through this nonsense because "people don't understand how stuff works". And, I got news for you - there are plenty of armed liberals in this country who vote to screw themselves out of all kinds of stuff - they believe people should change habits for the greater good, just like you do.

I'm not suggesting you can't buy ammo, nor should you stop.

Really? Because the anti-"gouger" crowd seems to be pretty adamant about this in general

I'm just simply pointing out the fact that you are hurting the gun community and it has and will make things worse. I guess I'm just one of those people that you know...thinks about others from time to time, which apparently makes me a communist.

So it's "Hey new shooter, buy some guns and ammo but make sure it is a casual amount only. No new competition shooters! We want to preserve the ammo for hobbyists."

:(

chet
May 27, 2014, 15:43
That's not the argument I'm making here, a steady rise in price comes with the market, I get that.

No……no, you don't. The market has absolutely nothing to do with "a steady rise."

Not to mention that they are no longer being made/imported to the US,

First, AK's were not produced here in the US in the past, only imported. In fact, there are more domestically produced AKs here in the US than at any other time in history. Again, file this under "Stuff I don't understand."

however .22 is still being produced. A jump from $20 per box of 500 to $60 overnight on something that is still being made in the same numbers as before is ridiculous.

Didnt happen overnight, dude. You don't understand the real reasons for this because you haven't completed your Econ 150 homework.

Plus, you can still build an ak for about $300 with the right tools...

OK, the only AK kits I can find start at that price. Plus a receiver, plus US parts, plus tools, plus time. And at the end of the exercise, I still have a used gun made to whatever specs I can muster. So, not near the same thing as a $300 brand new Legend. Not even close. The price for a new US made AK is $650 plus tax, plus shipping, plus whatever your local store tacks onto that. Again, you don't understand the difference between purchasing a ready made product and the raw materials to build one, much less the difference between new and used, much less the value of your own time.

:facepalm:

olgunner
May 27, 2014, 23:18
Chet, you may need to use smaller words for me because I'm even confused why you're talking about market forces like the price of fuel between 2000 and now, when the ".22 ammo crisis" didn't really start till the tragedy at Sandy Hook, just 18 months ago.

No, the ammo didn't dry up "overnight," but it didn't take much longer than that.
Two years ago, I was regularly buying bricks of Federal at WalMart for around $15. The jump to $80+ (now down to just $60-65) was sure as heck not due to some sudden increase in the price of copper.

That's not what you're implying is it? The 500% increase in the cost of .22lr between December of 2012 and, let's say, March of 2013 was not a reflection of an increase in brass prices or sudden new EPA regulations, was it?

No, I'd say the sudden jump was a self-fulfilling prophesy of market panic that ammo was going to disappear or be outlawed or shoot up in price, right?

So I understand that jump.
But I don't understand why .22lr seems to be the only item that has <i>remained</i> sky high ever since.
ALL ammo jumped in price at the same time. Black rifles, too. But today, many calibers are back to just about Pre-Sandy Hook prices, and ARs can be had for even a little less than before that shooting.
...But not .22lr.

So what does Econ 150 say about that, specifically?
Are you saying that $60/brick is the right-sized price, and that all those previous years, .22lr was nothing but a loss leader?

chet
May 28, 2014, 07:47
Chet, you may need to use smaller words for me because I'm even confused why you're talking about market forces like the price of fuel between 2000 and now, when the ".22 ammo crisis" didn't really start till the tragedy at Sandy Hook, just 18 months ago.

There is a lot more to understanding what changed with .22 than Sandy Hook.

No, the ammo didn't dry up "overnight," but it didn't take much longer than that.
Two years ago, I was regularly buying bricks of Federal at WalMart for around $15. The jump to $80+ (now down to just $60-65) was sure as heck not due to some sudden increase in the price of copper.

And before $15, it was $11.99 and before that it was $8.99 and before that it was $7.99 (2006). And no, it wasn't just copper. It was base metals, plus fuel, plus inflation, plus regulation, plus shift in demand, plus panic, plus lack of ability to increase supply enough.

That's not what you're implying is it? The 500% increase in the cost of .22lr between December of 2012 and, let's say, March of 2013 was not a reflection of an increase in brass prices or sudden new EPA regulations, was it?

No, exponential increase was due to multiple aspects……...

No, I'd say the sudden jump was a self-fulfilling prophesy of market panic that ammo was going to disappear or be outlawed or shoot up in price, right?

Of which, panic was only one aspect, perhaps the last. You can google up posts in other forums talking about .22 ammo availability issues WAY back in 2008.

So I understand that jump.
But I don't understand why .22lr seems to be the only item that has <i>remained</i> sky high ever since.

….because the shift in demand to .22 hasn't changed. It's sky high too. But, how many .22 manufacturers are going to invest in new machinery to meet that spike in demand in this economy? How many are going to add employees to work it if the length of the spike is uncertain?

ALL ammo jumped in price at the same time. Black rifles, too. But today, many calibers are back to just about Pre-Sandy Hook prices, and ARs can be had for even a little less than before that shooting.
...But not .22lr.

Again, the demand shifted.

So what does Econ 150 say about that, specifically?
Are you saying that $60/brick is the right-sized price, and that all those previous years, .22lr was nothing but a loss leader?

No, I'm saying the "right" price is "right below the point at which it quits selling" which has only started to happen recently. And, I'm saying Wal Mart don't care too much about the "right" price anyway because they can buy it and sell it well below everyone else, take minimum margin or a loss on it and still make money. That's why guys can buy it at Wally World and resell it in the first place.

juanni
May 28, 2014, 14:19
Go get um Chet. :bow:

Some guys think they are entitled to ammo/plywood/whatever at a "fair" price in the free market and get pissed at those that don't put out.

Others think they are entitled to love and sex from hot babes and get pissed at those that don't put out. :(

.............juanni

W.E.G.
May 28, 2014, 16:10
Ladder-post-response syndrome on internet forums and email makes me nauseous.

I say make your best point and move on.

MK ULTRA
May 28, 2014, 18:37
well the last not paid was $5 a brick. how long ago was that? I am thinking no more than 10 years ago. probably back during Bush's first term, sometime after 2003 For ten to fifteen years I'd buy a brick or two every time I'd go into Walmart. I guess I was just hedging my bet.

and I still have enough.

I've said it before but its funny how people want stuff when it gets hard to find and the more expensive. when its cheap and available no one thinks about it.. that's the sheeple mentality.

Wonder what they'll do when they can't get groceries and gas and health care.

TOWS220
May 28, 2014, 20:04
May be about time to say screw the lr and get a 22 cal pellet rifle. Problem solved.

EinheitElf
May 28, 2014, 22:23
If I see a guy pulling this crap and it seems that he is 'habitual' then write his plate,keep an eye out, slash his tires if he is in getting all the ammo.. happen a few times maybe get the message... but then again I am just vindictive sometimes...... but yes I would like to take my niece and nephew shooting also.... these dicks piss me off also....

olgunner
May 28, 2014, 22:43
I certainly hope I'm not coming across as argumentative. I understand (to some extent) and respect market forces and I support capitalism! I'm not bitchin' because some dweeb with time on his hands runs around and scores a bunch of ammo. I "stocked up" before the "crisis" and am not out yet (although I have adjusted my habits to help stretch things).

I'm just still trying to understand what is creating the current price bubble (if it IS a bubble) for .22lr, and why .22lr prices are behaving differently than other ammo.
I'm trying to understand it so I can figure out if it's going to pass--or if I should expect $60+/brick to be the new (lasting) "normal."

I'm aware of previous shortages. I don't remember them lasting 18 months +.
And I understand that there is more to costing than Sandy Hook. But when the price skyrockets immediately following a connected event, we look to that event first.

Chet, you wrote that "panic was only one aspect, perhaps the last." I'm guessing you don't mean that the panic was of little consequence (seems that all contemporaneous evidence indicated otherwise), but if, by "last," you mean that it broke the camel's back, so to speak, then I would interpret that as meaning that .22lr was significantly "under-priced" prior to Sandy Hook. The market was basically waiting for something to trigger a jump?
Is that what you're saying?

Since .22lr HAS been going up for years--as you've pointed out--though, I don't understand how/why it could have been so undervalued in early December 2012.

Further, when the other ammo costs retreat but not .22, simply saying "the demand shifted" may be absolutely and 100% true--but it explains nothing.

The "demand" is obvious, but demand of most popular calibers went up...but then came back down. And if sales of .22 firearms is down because of ammo costs or scarcity, that demand for .22 ammo should also diminish...I would think.

See? I still don't understand it.

TOWS220
May 28, 2014, 22:47
Maybe we should get some of you guys badges and you can all make sure there is enough .22 for everyone. :rolleyes:

MK ULTRA
May 28, 2014, 23:28
yeah ammo has been going up but its only been going up for the last ten years.

its been a penny a round for the last hundred years up until less than10 years ago.. My grandfather was born in 1908 he died in 2003 at the age of 95. He told me stories about hunting and traping when he was a boy. I remember him telling me that 22 long rifle ammo was a penny a round back then. now that is 50 cents a 50 round box and $5 a 500 round brick. which is what I paid for years at Walmart for it until about 10 years ago.

so when you speak about how its been going up over the years its only been < 10 years that has been going up.

as I said earlier it started going up during Bush's first term as president sometime after 2001 when Bush took office. then 911 happened and about 4 years after that ammo prices so that puts in a 2005- 2006. so at the most its been 8-9 years that ammo prices have gone up.

and I am NOT in any way putting Bush down for this. I'm just trying to figure out when prices started going up.

GOVT1911
May 29, 2014, 06:54
If I see a guy pulling this crap and it seems that he is 'habitual' then write his plate,keep an eye out, slash his tires if he is in getting all the ammo.. happen a few times maybe get the message... but then again I am just vindictive sometimes...... but yes I would like to take my niece and nephew shooting also.... these dicks piss me off also....

You'd slash a guy's tires because he works harder than you to get something he wants? That puts you directly in the Douchenozzle category.

Somebody said it nicely earlier when they called everyone whining about resellers Communists.

W.E.G.
May 29, 2014, 07:18

Slash the tires???

Come on!... Surely you can be more creative than THAT!!!

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76579&stc=1&d=1401365885

chet
May 29, 2014, 07:20
I certainly hope I'm not coming across as argumentative. I understand (to some extent) and respect market forces and I support capitalism! I'm not bitchin' because some dweeb with time on his hands runs around and scores a bunch of ammo. I "stocked up" before the "crisis" and am not out yet (although I have adjusted my habits to help stretch things).

I'm just still trying to understand what is creating the current price bubble (if it IS a bubble) for .22lr, and why .22lr prices are behaving differently than other ammo.
I'm trying to understand it so I can figure out if it's going to pass--or if I should expect $60+/brick to be the new (lasting) "normal."

I'm aware of previous shortages. I don't remember them lasting 18 months +.
And I understand that there is more to costing than Sandy Hook. But when the price skyrockets immediately following a connected event, we look to that event first.

Chet, you wrote that "panic was only one aspect, perhaps the last." I'm guessing you don't mean that the panic was of little consequence (seems that all contemporaneous evidence indicated otherwise), but if, by "last," you mean that it broke the camel's back, so to speak, then I would interpret that as meaning that .22lr was significantly "under-priced" prior to Sandy Hook. The market was basically waiting for something to trigger a jump?
Is that what you're saying?

Since .22lr HAS been going up for years--as you've pointed out--though, I don't understand how/why it could have been so undervalued in early December 2012.

Further, when the other ammo costs retreat but not .22, simply saying "the demand shifted" may be absolutely and 100% true--but it explains nothing.

The "demand" is obvious, but demand of most popular calibers went up...but then came back down. And if sales of .22 firearms is down because of ammo costs or scarcity, that demand for .22 ammo should also diminish...I would think.

See? I still don't understand it.

It's pretty obvious I want to help folks understand the real problem. The problem is not guy at the front of the line in Wal Mart. That's the person that ignorant people can see and he has a handful of .22 and a smile so that is the guy they choose to hate. Salem witch trials operated on a similar mentality.

Ignorant people dominate American society. That's why any number of downright psychotic Democratic and Republican incumbents stay in office in perpetuity. Look at the outrage in this thread! Guys are pissed their plinker ammo is going up. And yet, I have yet to hear one guy in this thread correlate ammo prices with quantitative easing, i.e. intentional, govt-mandated inflation.

Unfortunately, I can't explain it all in one thread. It's semi-complicated and it's obvious several folks are utterly ignorant to the topic. (Folks should be asking themselves why they spent 12 years in public education and never even heard these terms).

Look, the die is already cast. It is a done deal. There WILL be a crash of biblical proportions that makes this recession look like Happy Days. Screw ammo. Screw guns. Screw gold. There is no "weathering the storm" on this one. The whole planet is going for a ride.

First, read as many of these books as you can:
http://www.swifteconomics.com/2011/08/30/top-ten-basic-economics-books/

Then, watch this entire movie:
<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/41771079" width="500" height="281" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Then, do like Peter Schiff and learn to laugh at it:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/r8kWVs5kWcM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ByrnieMac
May 29, 2014, 12:47
If folks are willing to buy boxes 550 .22's for $75+, so be it. I'll sit back and watch with amusement. These hoarders just piss me off because I want to actually shoot off my back porch and not have to sell body parts to afford the ammo...

This "shortage" of .22 is a stupid problem to have. However it is still a problem.

juanni
May 29, 2014, 14:26

^^^
Same mentality and delusion of entitlement that Elliot Rodger had. :uhoh:

............juanni

jwv3
May 29, 2014, 21:05
Look at the outrage in this thread! Guys are pissed their plinker ammo is going up. And yet, I have yet to hear one guy in this thread correlate ammo prices with qualitative easing, i.e. intentional, govt-mandated inflation.

I think you ment 'Quantitative Easing'. Yes, I think most of us know full well the Fed's purchasing of treasury bonds with printed money. This doesn't explain the price of .223 or .308 not following the trajectory of 22lr. ?

olgunner
May 30, 2014, 01:20
yeah ammo has been going up but its only been going up for the last ten years.

its been a penny a round for the last hundred years...that is 50 cents a 50 round box and $5 a 500 round brick. which is what I paid for years at Walmart for it until about 10 years ago...

Wish I had shopped where you did!
Last $5 brick of .22 I saw would have been very early 90's, and that was a sale price. I only remember that because I was at Penn State then and would wait for it to go on sale then stock up. (Always left plenty on the shelf, though, so no one would slash my tires.)

With the exception of a couple periods of shortage (including this one), .22 has always seemed "cheap," but I don't remember penny-a-round ammo 10, or even 20, years ago.

'Course, it could be that my mind is simply slipping. It was bound to happen sooner or later.

chet
May 30, 2014, 08:10
I think you meant 'Quantitative Easing'. Yes, I think most of us know full well the Fed's purchasing of treasury bonds with printed money. This doesn't explain the price of .223 or .308 not following the trajectory of 22lr. ?

Correct. That is most likely due to a shift in demand ("I can no longer afford .308/.223/9mm/40/45 and I still want to shoot so I'll switch to .22") and later, .22 panic buying. Centerfire demand actually decreases a bit, .22 doesn't.

yovinny
May 30, 2014, 10:29
$5. A 500RD BRICK ??
That had to be a LONG WAY before the 90's,,,cause I'm still shooting the 22lr ammo I kept when we closed our gunstore in 93' and it's all still got price stickers of $12.-$19. per brick.

hardass
May 30, 2014, 11:40
This was before the days when people got labeled as "Hoarders"

Here is a receipt for the 2nd to last bulk purchase I made. Note the date..
I bought another 5 bricks a month or so later on sale for $1.00 less per brick. Remington LR Golden Bullets. I didn't even make a dent on the stock items on the shelf. I'm still shooting these.
http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k371/jrz13/22/IMG_8106_zps4f5d7a6a.jpg~original (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/jrz13/media/22/IMG_8106_zps4f5d7a6a.jpg.html)
I remember buying .22s at the local Western Auto for .01 a round when I was kid in the early '60s.

No ID required :biggrin:

L Haney
May 30, 2014, 17:28
With the exception of a couple periods of shortage (including this one), .22 has always seemed "cheap," but I don't remember penny-a-round ammo 10, or even 20, years ago.

Cheapest I can remember was .69/50 box at Otasco Hardware. That was about 1969. I was nine at the time and the guys there seemed tickled when I managed to bring in three dollars and change. I think, but ain't sure it was Winchester ammo.

Exit308
May 30, 2014, 22:26
Here you go guys, all you want, no limit, for a price.
www.surplusammo.com/22-lr-armscor-precision-36-grain-hv-hollow-point-5000-rounds/

Bubacus
May 31, 2014, 10:41
Someday I hope we look back and laugh at this hoarding...Some day the stock piles will start to corrode as they sit under leaking pipes in the basements of mom's house. The green and blue colored rounds will spill all over their floors as the wet carboard splits and only 1/2 of them will fire. All of the hoarding for not.

ratas calientes
June 01, 2014, 21:09
He needs to spit the chew out of his mouth and take some diction lessons.

Same think happens here in the Albuquerque area. At the WalMart in Los Lunas (a town south of here) a few locals hit the store early, and then sell for double or triple the price from a booth on the side of the road in town.

ALL FAL
June 01, 2014, 23:53
He needs to spit the chew out of his mouth and take some diction lessons.

Same think happens here in the Albuquerque area. At the WalMart in Los Lunas (a town south of here) a few locals hit the store early, and then sell for double or triple the price from a booth on the side of the road in town.

Well, maybe some good American will run over the fugg'in Booth. :eek:

andresere
December 29, 2014, 10:01
neck-beard-mobile ready to launch

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/neckbeardcar_zpscb08c7d7.jpg

WEG, I know this is an old post but I know exactly where that's at (or at least I think I do). That car is always parked in the handicap spot at Sportsman Warehouse here in Phoenix. Google Earth 19205 North 27th Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85027 - there are two sections of handicap parking. This car is in the lower right section of the north HC parking block, partly under the tree.

1911Ron
December 29, 2014, 11:22
WEG, I know this is an old post but I know exactly where that's at (or at least I think I do). That car is always parked in the handicap spot at Sportsman Warehouse here in Phoenix. Google Earth 19205 North 27th Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85027 - there are two sections of handicap parking. This car is in the lower right section of the north HC parking block, partly under the tree.

You are correct!:thumbsup:

andresere
December 29, 2014, 11:31
You are correct!:thumbsup:

Now I'm curious - do you know the driver or are you the driver?

Wecsogery
December 29, 2014, 12:31
meh. Once people stop buying it from the scalpers, it with smooth out. I haven't bought any in over a year. (on purpose)

This is exactly right. In fact, I take it a step further: when I go to a gun show, I don't buy anything from anyone who has .22 ammo priced at more than 150% of Walmart's price for the same ammo. So if I see for example a Federal 550 bulk pack priced at $40 or more, I just walk past that table. If there is no price listed, I will ask the price of the .22 ammo before wasting my time on anything else at that table.

BTW, I fully support capitalism. I do not support some governmental edict against these scalpers. They have a right to sell the ammo they have purchased at whatever price they can get for it. But as a consumer, I also have a right to not do business with them. That is capitalism at work.
The fact is, if the ammo market were not already heavily government influenced, we wouldn't have a problem. For example, if Bush Sr. had not banned importation of ammo from China, we would probably be buying Chinese .22LR ammo for less than $15 a brick right now.
Along the same lines, has anyone wondered why there is no Wolf/Tula/Barnaul etc. .22 ammo on the market?

Oh, and one more small point: the material cost of a 500-round brick of .22 ammo is still well under $10. Of course there are transportation and other costs, and the supply line should certainly make a profit. But just keep that bottom line of material cost in mind, since there have been some claims here of justification for the current prices we are seeing based on that.

randy762ak
December 29, 2014, 15:48
This is exactly right. In fact, I take it a step further: when I go to a gun show, I don't buy anything from anyone who has .22 ammo priced at more than 150% of Walmart's price for the same ammo. So if I see for example a Federal 550 bulk pack priced at $40 or more, I just walk past that table. If there is no price listed, I will ask the price of the .22 ammo before wasting my time on anything else at that table.

GREAT Minds Think alike -!! and Ill remember them long after the 22 shortage stops!

ALL FAL
December 29, 2014, 19:35

GREAT Minds Think alike -!! and Ill remember them long after the 22 shortage stops!

Take pictures of the scumbags/and gather intelligence on them from the paperwork for renting the Booth area. Tase the fuggers when you can.

hueyville
December 30, 2014, 03:23
I still have bricks in stock with prices marked 8.99 that have seen in the pile. If dig may find some cheaper. I will by no means run out of 22 ammo anytime in next decade but some of my specialty ammo is getting down to levels of concern. I sold a lot of 22 lr during peak when tapping 100 bucks per brick on Wallyworld fodder. May have sold more than should but at 50 dollars per brick can buy back to a point and still be ahead. I assumed it would be normalized by now.

Aguila 60 grain Sniper Subsonic is my favorite squirrel load and down to 2.5 bricks and I shoot a couple hundred per year minimum plus having to rezero scopes from summer to winter. Federal Premium Gold Ultra Match is down to three bricks, last I saw was 21.99 per 50 round box and only ten 100 round boxes of CCI Green Tag. Have a lot of premium tail ends of a box of x and two boxes of y but setting up scope for one then a little practice and have to start with another tail end of brand z. I can't seem to find premium ammo locally anymore as folks buy anything that comes in. They days of shooting 1/2 brick of match ammo in a day may be gone for me as irreplaceable due to current prices. I can shoot my Hornets cheaper than premium rimfire now. Actually been buying Hornet pills in 1,000 bullet lots and spending a lot of time at bench.

fnogger
December 30, 2014, 10:44
Along the same lines, has anyone wondered why there is no Wolf/Tula/Barnaul etc. .22 ammo on the market?

The Wolf 22lr isn't really a Wolf product - it is made by Lapua and is the *same* as the SK Std+ and Rifle Match (Wolf MT and ME) and is very similar but not quite as high quality as the Lapua offerings (Center-X, etc). The "bulk" verison is a 500 round can labled as SK Magazine, which may be lot overruns or lots that fail some QC marker

The reason you don't ever really see it unless you go looking for it is that even pre-2012 Panic it was $50/brick ammo. Very popular with the 10/22 target crowd. Availability has always been in surges, with pallets hitting the market, selling out after a few weeks, none available for a few weeks, then more pallet loads.

1911Ron
December 30, 2014, 13:01
Now I'm curious - do you know the driver or are you the driver?

No I am not!:) But have seen it there before.

EPC WN
December 30, 2014, 13:08
.22 is still hard to get? Huh... buy it cheap and stack it deep pays off again!

pjpjr
December 30, 2014, 23:35
I don't see any problem with it! The market will dictate the price.....very simple economics at play here. For all the whiners why don't you figure out a way to acquire some....maybe be at Walmart earlier than "them"? I guess it all boils down to how bad you want some! And for those guys running booths over and slashing tires.....how second grade is that:facepalm:

ALL FAL
December 30, 2014, 23:39
Well PJJR , I have plenty, bought before the shortage, created by a few greedy fuggs. it IS the Principle with me, do you understand that?

pjpjr
December 30, 2014, 23:59
Well PJJR , I have plenty, bought before the shortage, created by a few greedy fuggs. it IS the Principle with me, do you understand that?
So your one of those guys who never sold for profit? You probably NEVER bought a gun at a ridiculously low price, sold for bunch of money then bragged to your buds how much you made?? Oh that's different!! It is the principle of simple economics. Do you understand that??

RetiredNSmilin308
December 31, 2014, 00:35
May be about time to say screw the lr and get a 22 cal pellet rifle. Problem solved.

TOWS220...I did just that. An RWS DIANA 460 Magnum. It is even louder than my CB caps...and faster.

As for ALL of my 22 ammo. It resides in the safe locked up with all of my other extremely valuable things. I have no intention of ever shooting it until "THE INSANITY" is over.

My 1400 round bucket is STILL on backorder from Midway since December 24th, 2013.

RetiredNSmilin308
December 31, 2014, 00:37

.....can I get an AHMEN on this, brothas & sistas.:bow:

ALL FAL
December 31, 2014, 00:40
So your one of those guys who never sold for profit? You probably NEVER bought a gun at a ridiculously low price, sold for bunch of money then bragged to your buds how much you made?? Oh that's different!! It is the principle of simple economics. Do you understand that??

Honestly, I can say I never did that with a gun or have I ever resold ammo to make a proffit. I have however offered .22 ammo for free to a few on this board.

I'll stick to my old fashioned principles. More than economics going on here.

RetiredNSmilin308
December 31, 2014, 01:12
I did not see the start of it, but was there at the end of it......

A FACT some of these ' free market " types do not understand.

When I lived in Florida that year 4 hurricanes swept through.

In Melbourne I watched as a crowd pretty much beat to death some SOB for selling $100 bags of ice. I do not know if he died or not. I do know there were people still stomping on him long after he quit moving. His buddy in the truck hauled ass on foot.

$100 bags of ice after a hurricane???? OK...Free Market....sure...legal...maybe

but it still did not keep him from getting his head pounded in and his truck cleaned out.

try and explain you have a right to do that to the crowd. I am sure they will understand.

ALL FAL
December 31, 2014, 01:32
Thanks RNS.308, just the analogy I was looking for.

ftierson
December 31, 2014, 02:27
I did not see the start of it, but was there at the end of it......

A FACT some of these ' free market " types do not understand.

When I lived in Florida that year 4 hurricanes swept through.

In Melbourne I watched as a crowd pretty much beat to death some SOB for selling $100 bags of ice. I do not know if he died or not. I do know there were people still stomping on him long after he quit moving. His buddy in the truck hauled ass on foot.

$100 bags of ice after a hurricane???? OK...Free Market....sure...legal...maybe

but it still did not keep him from getting his head pounded in and his truck cleaned out.

try and explain you have a right to do that to the crowd. I am sure they will understand.

Unfortunately for him, he probably didn't have an FAL...

Forrest

Whydah
January 01, 2015, 13:13
Around here its the pawn shop guys and a few flea market regulars who show up early and buy all the .22 inventory from the local WalMarts and Dick's.

Some years ago I got into the habit of picking up a brick or two each month and stashing it away. It was cheap and plentiful, and could be used in a lot of applications. I also thought (and still do) it could be used as currency one day. I have a LOT of it! Am I a hoarder? Could be. But I call it foresight. Not into the profit of it, and not interested is selling any of it. Its for personal use and use by the family.

Hopefully prices will settle out. If they ever do, I'll add a few more bricks.

ftierson
January 01, 2015, 14:34
Around here its the pawn shop guys and a few flea market regulars who show up early and buy all the .22 inventory from the local WalMarts and Dick's.

Some years ago I got into the habit of picking up a brick or two each month and stashing it away. It was cheap and plentiful, and could be used in a lot of applications. I also thought (and still do) it could be used as currency one day. I have a LOT of it! Am I a hoarder? Could be. But I call it foresight. Not into the profit of it, and not interested is selling any of it. Its for personal use and use by the family.

Hopefully prices will settle out. If they ever do, I'll add a few more bricks.

About sums it up...

Forrest

hueyville
January 01, 2015, 16:59
If someone doesn't prepare and stock enough ammo for glitch in supply the issue is on them. If you don't like the regulars beating you to Wallyworld then get their earlier. I am only semi concerned about my target grade ammo as I shoot target ammo 75% of the time. Still sitting on more bricks of Thunderbolts and other bargain brand 22 lr than can shoot in decade or more. When there is plenty buy plenty, if just keep enough inventory for next few sessions then you are allowing hoarders and price gougers to stick you. I gave a neighbor a brick a month ago and his wife has been brining us a pie every week. When pies stop am sending him another brick. I would rather have pie than a gazillion bricks of cheap 22's.

I bought a brick every week at Wallyworld for 30 years. Also bought one 100 round pack of 12 gauge field loads every week till got more expensive than worth to me. When 325 round cartons of Automatch became a staple added one of those per week to buggy. Every trip to LGS would buy a box, sleeve or brick of specialty or match 22 lr. Have two OSHA explosion proof lockers full of 22 ammo and sold one lockers contents while high to fund guns and reloading supplies. Actually purchased a new 22 Hornet to add to collection from sales of 22 lr. Past year my load development and work with my Hornets has satisfied my plinking needs and pest control. Also added a nice 22 caliber air rifle for shooting indoors which keeps eye and trigger control as sharp as 22 lr.

Anyone that enjoys shooting should have ammo in inventory for runs as this was not the first nor will it be the last. Now that I have dialed in my reloading steel case 7.62x39 with cast bullets I average adding a few hundred more rounds to the pile each week. Stores can stop selling x39 for rest of time and I can keep recycling and shoot till death do me and my rifles part. Same with 223 and 308. Can recycle pistol ammo for years as primers and powder don't take up much room. Lead will always be available.

Same as my vehicles. After Katrina there was little to no fuel around here but the 500 gallon tank at work and its brother at house along with a 250 gallon diesel tank kept us driving without waiting in long lines to pay five bucks a gallon with 10 gallon maximum limit. If grocery stores dont open next week not going to starve.

Either be prepared to care for self, family and some friends or be prepared to suffer and show some dignity as opposed to whining because others thought ahead and you didn't. If kids cant go shoot their 22's its Dads fault, not the guy beating him to Wallyworld. Hope kids are not hearing same whine as may learn to blame others for lack of preperation. If someone actually writes down peoples tag numbers and even joke about cutting their tires much less be serious that makes them white trash in my book. Can quote me on that. We are masters of own destiny to a degree and if you choose to be on losing end of game then you should suck it up and place blame where it belongs...

MontanaGrant
January 01, 2015, 22:36
Agreed with all you said.

with ONE caveat....

The local wal-fart sporting goods manager isn't even putting out .22 ammo. We've snagged a few boxes here and there (me and dad were already heavily stocked up, but we watch and get for friends that are short).....only happens when he is on vacation.

Otherwise the counter monkeys say "Nope, no .22 has arrived in forever", and we get there when they are stocking other ammo.

When he's on vacation or off/etc. whatever we get a box or two. When he's there? it never hits the shelf. It gets stashed for him and his buddies.

Sortof peeves me off but..*shrugs*....way it works I guess. At least he isn't reselling, he's a huge .22 guy and does go through a pile of shells in a month.

55bird
January 02, 2015, 10:10
+1 on the pellet rifle. As a bonus I have enjoyed playing urban sniper on the squirrel population. One shot threw the squirrel backwards and all I could see was the bottom of his feet. (third eye shot upon examination.)