PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on precision folding stock...

davesrb
May 11, 2014, 18:09
Hey guys, I need a little advice. I want to set up a "thank you" gun for a great friend. He is an avid hunter and precision shooter. About 6 months ago his house burned to the ground due to a faulty wire in a kitchen appliance. Long story short, he lost his guns and most everything else. Insurance will get his house built, but he's starting from scratch on his guns. This guy has been a true friend to me and my family, and my wife and I both agreed that we want to get him something he will deny himself to provide for his wife. So...

I have a nice Remington 700 short action and UMSS Pro Series Barrel, 11 degree target crown, Small 3 Port Maxi Brake in 308, and a Swarovski Z5 that I am going to allocate to this project.

What I need help with is the stock. He is a big fan of folding precision stocks, but has never owned one. So I was thinking of setting him up with one. I have looked at the Eberlestock M11 and a few others. Does anybody have any experience with one of the skeletonized folders? Pro's or con's?

E5c03
May 11, 2014, 18:44
Accuracy International Chasis System,,aka AICS.
Would be my one and only suggestion.
Stage 2 is the folder,,mags can be a bit expensive.
But well worth it.

davesrb
May 12, 2014, 10:34
Thanks! I have looked at the AICS also, and they look very nice. Ok, Im starting to get jealous! I'm setting him up a better rifle than I have!

d762nato
May 12, 2014, 17:08
The AICS stocks are nice and really well built that's the pro side. The con side is that their heavy. If it's going to be a hunting gun ie. getting carried a lot you may want to think about that. If it's for say sitting on a hillside and shooting from a fixed position then it'll work great. I had one on an AI-AW in 300 mag and it was a heavy beast but they are top of the line.

HighRatMaster
May 13, 2014, 00:30
I use a McCree chassis, heavy, ugly, tough as nails, very solid. Folds left, uses AI mags, has space for enough cheese graters to make an AR jealous.

L Haney
May 13, 2014, 05:45
I'm setting him up a better rifle than I have!

I can't offer any help with your question but what you are up to here says a lot about you Dave. :beer:

d762nato
May 13, 2014, 06:27
Dave check this site out as I read good things about their stocks and they also make folding stocks as well as hunting stocks.

http://mannersstocks.com/