PDA

View Full Version : Help identify HP

cheepertokeeper
May 06, 2014, 03:24
Always liked these, not familiar with all the variants. Found one local. Marked FNHB left side of frame, Browning patent Depose under. Right side has matching serial #'s on frame, barrel, front grip. C prefix. Black contoured composite grips. Fixed sights, Parkerized refinish, assume it was blued originally. Looks, functions fine. Serial # in 77k range, no mag safety, removed? Older military model? Any input appreciated. Thanks ctk

gunplumber
May 06, 2014, 08:57
Is it marked FNHB or written out? FN only started going by FNH recently.

Mk II, Mk III or II/III hybrid? Cast frame? Serial number isn't a commerical, my guess is a Mk II/III hybrid ISraeli contract, but that's only a statistical probability as its the most common non commercial in the last 20 years.

cheepertokeeper
May 06, 2014, 14:29
Spelled out, all steel. Thanks.

fiream29
May 06, 2014, 17:24
That sounds like it is one of the FEG made 'fake' Hi-Powers. I have two of the 'C' series. They are well made guns but you shouldn't be paying a HP price for them.

gunplumber
May 06, 2014, 17:31
That sounds like it is one of the FEG made 'fake' Hi-Powers. I have two of the 'C' series. They are well made guns but you shouldn't be paying a HP price for them.

FEGs are so marked, they are not marked FNHB

fiream29
May 06, 2014, 17:44
Gary Cole (cdisales) has sold at least a hundred of them over the past year or so. They are fairly well known among HP collectors though not so much outside.
They are marked as FN weapons and appear at first glance to be authentic but the serials give them away. I believe B, C, and F, five digit serials have been identified so far. He only has four listed right now.
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=*fake&IncludeSellers=2621012

Forgot the 'L' series also. While the four listed are in pretty bad shape, most of the ones sold were in great shape with little if any wear or pitting. One buyer recently bought a bunch of the nicest ones and I figured it wouldn't be long before they started showing up as 'real' FN's.

gunplumber
May 06, 2014, 17:55
Even looks like the bottom half a liege proof on the barrel. I probably would have been fooled.

fiream29
May 06, 2014, 18:06
Even looks like the bottom half a liege proof on the barrel. I'd have to check my notes on it saying "Belgium" instead of "Belgique", but I probably would have been fooled.

ETA - now wait, this one does have the typical spelling.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=414294088

I know, even the proofs have been duplicated. Whoever ordered these pistols wanted them to appear authentic. I've seen claims Saddam tried to order HP's from FN but was refused so went to FEG for the contract. In all honesty, I have yet to see a single shred of documentation that these are really FEG guns. I've always wondered if the Israelis didn't order these themselves, possibly from FN, and specify the serial ranges. FN is documented as providing serial ranges to customer specs and GC imports a LOT of Israeli weapons.

I don't really know the origins of these guns but the HP 'experts' insist they are FEG and the serials do follow FEG practice.

gunplumber
May 06, 2014, 18:12
I've worked on a few FEGs and IIRC the safety and sear don't interchange with browning. But these were imports from about 20 years ago and my guess is these are considerably older.