PDA

View Full Version : FYI ----- CMP .22 ammo update

Jaxxas
April 14, 2014, 23:07
Received an email from CMP concerning my .22 lr ammo order I placed about 15 months ago. I had a case on back order, I replied to ship away at the $305 price! Interesting to note that the price difference wouldn't buy a brick at the last gunshow I attended.

For the first time in 18 months the CMP has received a full container (1,000 cases) of Aguila Standard velocity .22LR ammunition. Because of the significant price increase from $260 per case to $305 per case, we are contacting customers, oldest orders first, to verify that the customers do still want the ammunition at the new price of $305 or if they wish to cancel their orders. We regret that we can no longer absorb the price increases.

Because we do still have over 7,000 cases already ordered by clubs and customers, please respond at your earliest convenience as to whether to cancel the order or to process the order at the new price.

Thank you for your understanding and support of the CMP.

Orest Michaels

Chief Operating Officer

SAFN49
April 14, 2014, 23:33
That's 5000 rounds for $305, correct?

$0.06 a round. Highway robbery! I'll take that super expensive stuff off your hands... LOL!

I haven't been able to find any in decent quantity for less than $0.10 a round.

Nice score!

Jaxxas
April 14, 2014, 23:45
That's 5000 rounds for $305, correct?

$0.06 a round. Highway robbery! I'll take that super expensive stuff off your hands... LOL!

I haven't been able to find any in decent quantity for less than $0.10 a round.

Nice score!

Yep!

I might want to hang on to it though! :wink: Last gunshow they were asking $65 a brick!

Again I ordered about 15 months ago!

starbuck
April 15, 2014, 07:59
I've heard the explanations but $.02/rnd to $.15/rnd is just too much of an increase to make any sense and its been going on for a long time now. Something is fishy about .22 prices.

HankC
April 15, 2014, 15:58
.06/rnd for Aguila Standard velocity is not a bad price. I think I paid for .03/rnd probably 8 yrs ago. Still have couple K. Great ammo but smell funny.

fnogger
April 15, 2014, 21:23
Wonder how much of that will end up on dealer shelves, at gun shows, flea markets, and gunbroker?

xtremerange
April 16, 2014, 06:55
I think this is a great sign. Regionally, I am hearing that 22lr is starting to last a few days on the shelves. This news means Aguila might be coming close to catching up to open orders.

My prediction is 22lr will be readily available within 6 months. A lot of dealers that are hoarding now are going to be stuck with a lot of inventory. Look for deals on cases early next year as they realize they are stuck with this stuff at retail.

ALL FAL
April 16, 2014, 12:59
I was going to start a thread like this as Yesterday I saw .22 for sale X50rnd boxes at 1.99 a box, the sales people had a case of bricks they were putting out slowly, they too are TIRED of the AMMO SCALPERS.

Jaxxas
April 16, 2014, 21:27
I think this is a great sign. Regionally, I am hearing that 22lr is starting to last a few days on the shelves. This news means Aguila might be coming close to catching up to open orders.

My prediction is 22lr will be readily available within 6 months. A lot of dealers that are hoarding now are going to be stuck with a lot of inventory. Look for deals on cases early next year as they realize they are stuck with this stuff at retail.

While I think it is a good sign, understand my post is about one vendor with a 30-35 million bulk round order backlog!

SAFN49
April 16, 2014, 23:10
Doubt it's going to be available unless made overseas and imported.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/explosion-tenn-ammunition-factory-injures-4-report-article-1.1758901

You can bet OSHA is going to be all over every ammo plant in the U.S. with large fines and possibly shutting them down.

yovinny
April 17, 2014, 13:35
You can bet OSHA is going to be all over every ammo plant in the U.S. with large fines and possibly shutting them down.

Thats neither the first nor last plant that will ever go BOOM.
Ammo plants, explosive plants and the WORST,,,Fireworks plants, all can and do blow up on occasion, even with every safety measure and precaution in place....just cause shit happens..
You can rest assured the Govt agencies involved (osha, dod, atf, epa) will be doing nothing out of line or special above what they already do now, yearly inspections for compliance and checking record keeping.

I do that compliance checking and record keeping for a plastic explosives manufacturing facility,,,And until something in one of their regulations change, it will just continue to be statis-quo. One place going Boom means almost nothing,,,Except to the people there.
No different than your neighbors house burning down meaning that your going to get a critical inspection from the fire marshal.

Cheers, YV

Jon Frum
April 18, 2014, 07:07
Walmart 550/$19.95

starbuck
April 18, 2014, 07:42
Its been 2 years since I've seen .22lr at walmart or Meijer.

croftonaviation
April 18, 2014, 07:53

Last night was the first time since sandy hook, that our walmart had any 22 other than from 7:00-7:03 when the scalpels get it. They had 4 or 5 boxes of 100ct cci mini mags.

Insider
April 18, 2014, 13:40
I've heard the explanations but $.02/rnd to $.15/rnd is just too much of an increase to make any sense and its been going on for a long time now. Something is fishy about .22 prices.

You got that right! I'm seeing .22 everywhere, but at center-fire prices! :eek:

sniper69
April 19, 2014, 12:09

The local walmart got 2 cases of federal 550 rd bulk packs, 1 case of Winchester 555 bulk packs and 1 case of 50 rd packs of cci stingers that they put out this morning. Their truck came last night and they put out in the AM. There were about 7 or 8 guys in line by the 8am sell time.

I haven't seen any at Meijer since Sandy Hook happened.

GaryH
April 21, 2014, 10:35
Walmart by me had a bunch of the remington 525 round boxes as well as some 250 round boxes. Nobody waiting either. Grabbed a box, but thats about all I need.

catmguy445
April 27, 2014, 14:46
Still no .22 LR ammo in Boise to speak of. Wal Mart hasn't had any for months, Sportsman's Warehouse has a tiny bit that disappears as soon as the store opens, Cabela's hasn't had any for a while, other than the day after their truck delivers it to the store. Local gun shops, zilch.

However, the reports from around the rest of the country are encouraging, so hopefully there will be some available here before too long.

notfrommt
April 27, 2014, 16:55
There is no shortage of 22 LR. There is just a few people who have created a black market by cornering the market. If there was a legitimate shortage, there would be none on Gunbroker, as an example.

I am not buying 22 LR from anyone who is not a distributor, which means that I am not buying 22 LR for now. I refuse to bum-rush Fleet Farm or Wal-Mart like its Black Friday, like so many ignorant no-class fools.

The CMP price increase is mainly due to manufacturing material costs rising, IMO. Probably would have seen that increase anyway by now.

Jaxxas
April 27, 2014, 20:47
There is no shortage of 22 LR. There is just a few people who have created a black market by cornering the market. If there was a legitimate shortage, there would be none on Gunbroker, as an example.

WTH are you smoking?

notfrommt
April 27, 2014, 21:22
Nothing good, I assure you.

How many times before the "shortage" did you walk past a shelf of 22 and think that you would grab some later, cause its always there? I personally do not remember shelves overflowing with bricks of ammo. In fact, I remember not being able to get what I wanted because it was out.

The whole psychology of this situation is totally FUBAR. Everyone is keyed in to 22, so there will always be a shortage, because it will always be in demand.

And yes, I do believe that there are a handful of people making it worse by reselling for a profit. I know of several individuals who work for Wal-Mart that use the inventory system to buy up all stock in a shipment in order to resell it.

Jaxxas
April 27, 2014, 21:53
Nothing good, I assure you.

How many times before the "shortage" did you walk past a shelf of 22 and think that you would grab some later, cause its always there? I personally do not remember shelves overflowing with bricks of ammo. In fact, I remember not being able to get what I wanted because it was out.

The whole psychology of this situation is totally FUBAR. Everyone is keyed in to 22, so there will always be a shortage, because it will always be in demand.

And yes, I do believe that there are a handful of people making it worse by reselling for a profit. I know of several individuals who work for Wal-Mart that use the inventory system to buy up all stock in a shipment in order to resell it.

Never, but then I always try to look to the future. And I certainly remember a time of plenty with .22 LR ammo!

Can you find all the .22 LR ammo you want? If not, that is a shortage, regardless of your psychology!

notfrommt
April 27, 2014, 21:58
But 22 is available if you want to subsidize some assholes beer fund!

There is a shortage of 8mm Lebel, there is plenty of 22.

Exit308
May 15, 2014, 23:05
There is a regional chain around here called Bi-Mart. I have been able to buy Federal at $1.99 plus tax, 2 box limit per day when they have it. Yesterday I was in the area and stopped and they had bricks of 500 for $19.99. Later in the day I went to see a buddy in Gladstone so I stopped at the Fisherman's Marine in Oregon City and they had 3 flavors of bricks, $29.99/500 and $19.99/325. So yesterday I scored 1000 rds for about $50. Not like the old days but better than recently. I think it will be like the AR 15 backlog that then turned into the AR 15 glut, eventually.

ALL FAL
May 17, 2014, 17:34
There is a regional chain around here called Bi-Mart. I have been able to buy Federal at $1.99 plus tax, 2 box limit per day when they have it. Yesterday I was in the area and stopped and they had bricks of 500 for $19.99. Later in the day I went to see a buddy in Gladstone so I stopped at the Fisherman's Marine in Oregon City and they had 3 flavors of bricks, $29.99/500 and $19.99/325. So yesterday I scored 1000 rds for about $50. Not like the old days but better than recently. I think it will be like the AR 15 backlog that then turned into the AR 15 glut, eventually.

Yep, I noticed much the same around here. I would like to get some more mini mags for my MKI as it likes them over any other except for CCI STINGERS.

Cava3r4
August 10, 2014, 17:54
haven't been able to find any in wallyworld for about 2 years now in PHX.

palmettomoon
August 13, 2014, 16:05
Academy in JAX has THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of rounds of .22LR on the counter at Customer Service. There must be a paucity of neckbeards here compared to Macon, GA, where the sub-species of hominid seems to have flourished.

The whole .22 thing has driven me to the wholesalers and specialty suppliers of better quality ammunition, i.e. ELEY CLUB, MATCH, etc.

I figured if I'm going to pay 12 to 15 cents per round, I'll get a better cartridge to shoot (scores markedly improved BTW) instead of filling the pockets of the local bottom feeders reselling bulk crap .22.

fnogger
August 14, 2014, 08:37
Just got 1k of Norma Tac-22 for $108 delivered from bullets.com

This is rebranded RWS ammo, should be very good mid-grade match ammo, equal to Wolf or SK.

Bertellione
September 08, 2014, 22:31
You have to think one big thing that will keep the shortage going for awhile beside the pricks who are rapping and pillaging. Look at all the new 22 rifles and pistols that have come out since right before the the shortage started. Before the shortage an AR in 22 was big money and just for the upper. How many companies make clones of black rifles and pistols now at reasonable prices that have gotten people who normally only shot a 22 during squirel season that now want to shoot more.

Texgunner
September 09, 2014, 08:31
Did any of you buy the surplus .22LR that CMP sold a few years back? I believe it was Remington-made, and came in 5,000 round cases that were just plain vanilla packaging. I bought one of the cases and while it shoots okay, it is the dirtiest ammo I've ever handled. Your hands are black by the time you load a magazine. I guess I didn't know that the government used .22LR; I'm assuming that its used for some sort of training, no?

rarecat
September 09, 2014, 08:45
I'm near first in line for the next CMP shipment, my order is from mid May of 2013....will be a beautiful thing to get 10K rounds in one shipment

partisan50
September 10, 2014, 16:57
Did any of you buy the surplus .22LR that CMP sold a few years back? I believe it was Remington-made, and came in 5,000 round cases that were just plain vanilla packaging. I bought one of the cases and while it shoots okay, it is the dirtiest ammo I've ever handled. Your hands are black by the time you load a magazine. I guess I didn't know that the government used .22LR; I'm assuming that its used for some sort of training, no?

I bought two cases from a friend but I never opened them. I got them in Fall 2012 just before the Sandy Hook disaster.

MK ULTRA
September 11, 2014, 17:49
yeah I remember looking at CMP Ammo it was $50 for a 5000 round case. I wish I had bought a pallet of it back then. at that kind of markup you could have retired if you bought enough.

partisan50, what was CMP ammo going for back in the fall of 2012?

partisan50
September 12, 2014, 20:03
partisan50, what was CMP ammo going for back in the fall of 2012?

I think that I paid about $130-140/case.

MK ULTRA
September 15, 2014, 17:19
$13 a brick is still a great price.