PDA

View Full Version : What the heck I had to clean my Glock

Guy-epic
April 13, 2014, 15:51
To start I hate Glock's why no real reason just do. But I bought a 9mm 17 gen 4 so cheap even a Glock hater had to buy it. Well I have warmed up to it a little bit and then today after my trip to the range I had a hanger and another issues. From what I can tell lack of lube and cleaning are the reason. So I checked and yep I and over 2000 rounds that must be the number when you clean them. Now there are few guns I treat like this. But it's a Glock I figured I would shoot it until it stopped then clean it right? Just wondering if that is the norm. On the Glock?

MACV
April 13, 2014, 17:23
I usually clean mine every 3000 rounds. Were you using Russian ammo? That stuff is kind of dirty.

Guy-epic
April 13, 2014, 17:40
No white box Winchester target ammo and some china norinco hmm maybe it was the China Ammo. Could be that it was very dirty but cleaned easy would of been easier if the wife would of let me throw it in the dish washer with the other Tupperware

yellowhand
April 13, 2014, 17:54
Carb cleaner, a couple of sprays and good for another 3000 rounds:whistling:

tac-40
April 13, 2014, 17:55
Glocks like to be run almost dry. You only need a touch of oil in a few places. Excessive oil attracts powder residue and dirt causing malfunctions. I clean my carry G21 once a year after it has been exposed to the weather, plus 500-750 rounds of qualifying and practice through it. It was issued to me 20 years ago and still works when I need it.

12v71
April 13, 2014, 19:38
No white box Winchester target ammo and some china norinco hmm maybe it was the China Ammo. Could be that it was very dirty but cleaned easy would of been easier if the wife would of let me throw it in the dish washer with the other Tupperware

Believe it or not, The dishwasher thing works pretty well if you make sure it drys properly after. Then lube normally as you reassemble.

Guy-epic
April 13, 2014, 19:40
Ya I had heard on the light lube and carb cleaned it gtg for a year or a few thousand rounds

MACV
April 13, 2014, 21:14
You can always empty a mag under water, that'll clean out most of the gunk.

VALMET
April 14, 2014, 11:47
When you say "hanger and another issues" what exactly do you mean? Failure to feed? Failure to eject? I've been a hardcore Glock guy for almost 15 years and I find it hard to believe that lack of cleaning is the culprit- especially after only about 2k rounds. Can limp-wristing be a possibility as occasionally this will cause a FTE? I'm curious as the Gen 4s have had a few issues but it seems many have been ironed out in the past 1-2 years. What vintage is your G-17 (what are the 1st 3 letters in the SN)?

Guy-epic
April 14, 2014, 15:32
When you say "hanger and another issues" what exactly do you mean? Failure to feed? Failure to eject? I've been a hardcore Glock guy for almost 15 years and I find it hard to believe that lack of cleaning is the culprit- especially after only about 2k rounds. Can limp-wristing be a possibility as occasionally this will cause a FTE? I'm curious as the Gen 4s have had a few issues but it seems many have been ironed out in the past 1-2 years. What vintage is your G-17 (what are the 1st 3 letters in the SN)?

VEE first letters in serial number it is a gen 4 One stove pipe aka shell pointing up jamming the slide. Then there were some failure to feeds round would go 90% of the way of in the chamber. Please let me know your thoughts. I can promise you it was not due to a limp wrist hold on the pistol. Pm me if you want details on why I am so sure. I would like info you have

DYNOMIKE
April 15, 2014, 14:50
Having a GLOCK malf at all is pretty out of the ordinary..
2000 rds is a good bit but still assuming it was properly lubed not extraordinary..

I don't use CARB cleaner on anything gun related but I do oft use CRC Brake & Parts cleaner (red can) sparingly along w/compressed air..
Clean like any other gun and apply lube to the correct points..
As TAC noted already over lube is as bad as under lube as too much attracts un-burnt powder and crud and can cause malfunctions..

This isn't the greatest link but it's OK:
http://www.tannersgun.com/glock-lubrication-how-to-lubricate-a-glock.aspx

There where some issues with the early Gen 4 guns but they have been corrected..

Guy-epic
April 15, 2014, 15:10
It was the first time I had ever torn down or cleaned or lubed it at all

DYNOMIKE
April 15, 2014, 17:14
The lube applied at assembly is good stuff but I'm not sure I would go 2K rounds before my first cleaning & w/out new lube...

Before I did anything at all I would give it a good cleaning, proper lubrication and then shoot t some more.. "IF" your stoppages/malfs continue then a closer look will be needed but I wouldn't be surprised if they disappear..

Guy-epic
April 15, 2014, 17:40
The lube applied at assembly is good stuff but I'm not sure I would go 2K rounds before my first cleaning & w/out new lube...

Before I did anything at all I would give it a good cleaning, proper lubrication and then shoot t some more.. "IF" your stoppages/malfs continue then a closer look will be needed but I wouldn't be surprised if they disappear..

Yep like I said I am not a Glock fan and I plan to abuse said pistol until I kill it and from what I hear that is impossible. Challenge accepted! It is a work horse I will say that and runs good. Damn I hate that.

yellowhand
April 15, 2014, 20:55
Yep like I said I am not a Glock fan and I plan to abuse said pistol until I kill it and from what I hear that is impossible. Challenge accepted! It is a work horse I will say that and runs good. Damn I hate that.

Damn I hate that!
But you're right, dang things go bang each and every time right out of the box.
Went to war several times with a 1911, great firearm.
I own 6 1911's, another five BHP's, enough S&W wheel guns to start a road rally, etc.
IF I ever need to go to war again, it will be with two Glock's and a dozen mags!
Damn I hate that!:eek::cry::biggrin:

DYNOMIKE
April 15, 2014, 22:08
Glocks aint for everyone and get it.
BUT, even those that don't like them still can't talk shit about their reliability...

"IF" you decide you want a better trigger there are options for that but everything else on these pistols just works...

Damn, I just love that.... :wink:

yellowhand
April 15, 2014, 22:19
Got my first one after used police mags came onto the market, stayed away when mags were going for 30 to 40 a pop, mags at 8 to 12 got me looking and one day when I forgot to take the smaller white pill, bought my first, a used model 22.
Then fired a model 32 in 357 Sig, and the game was over.
Now got six I think, one 45, 4 in 357Sig and a model 19.
Can't look at the adds for J and G, those used ones call my name:D:D:D

DYNOMIKE
April 16, 2014, 10:08
I have a custom 1911 with lots of great parts on/in it and it's a really nice pistol, it shoots great, looks nice, and I like it..... Also very much like my G21 and it was a LOT less $$.. :shades:

In fact for what the 1911 cost I coulda bought 4 G21's and a pile of mags...

Even with a couple CZ 75's, a couple BHP's, a couple TAURUS 9's (old PT92, and even older PT99) I still bought a G34, & a G35 because I like them too...

G21 is at ZEV now getting some interesting mods done, hope it gets back soon as I'm kinda looking forward to messin w/it.. :p

yellowhand
April 16, 2014, 10:22
My 45 Glock is compensated, ported whatever they call it and with full house loads seems to just sit on the target round after round.
The mid frame 357 Sig is also factory compensated/ported, would hate to shoot it without that, thing is loud!
Added the rear sight laser to the 357 Sig and now carry it everywhere at night.
Sorry, everyone, but the $$$$$$ Colt Gold cup has been returned to the locker:eek::eek::eek:waiting for my smallest grandson to discover one day!
Everyday carry is a 22 with a LW barrel in 357Sig, an old beat to shit police trade in, cops and seat belts/keys do a job on the right side grips, mismatched frame and slide and a silver barrel with .40 mags full of 357Sig rounds
It has always fired and hits point of aim:whiskey::whiskey::whiskey:

Guy-epic
April 16, 2014, 11:50
I have read there have been issues with larger caliber Glock's can anyone confirm these?

kotengu
April 16, 2014, 14:08
I have a model 30 with 7,000 rounds that is flawless. I also have a 21 with a couple hundred rounds that doesn't shoot as accurately as the 30, but still functions flawlessly so far.

No issues on my end.

yellowhand
April 16, 2014, 19:40
I have read there have been issues with larger caliber Glock's can anyone confirm these?

My forty five Glock has a couple thousand rounds full house loads, no issues at all and it loves JHP's right out of the box!

The mid frame glock in 357Sig had me a little concerned at first, but after 1000 rounds, it's fine as well.
10 grains of Bluedot pushing a 124 grain JHP, close to 1500 fps

Takes a beating and keeps on ticking..

VALMET
April 16, 2014, 23:04

No- there haven't been issues with larger caliber Glocks. I know of several (Glock 20s and 21s) with well over 10k rounds thru them that have never had any trouble. Someone did some serious torture test vids with a Glock 21 on YouTube a few years back.

Guy-epic
April 17, 2014, 10:31
I have been thinking about a 45acp Glock for carry.

VALMET
April 17, 2014, 12:49
Lots to choose from- 21 which is great but big and blocky, 30 or 30S, or the single-stack 36.

yellowhand
April 17, 2014, 16:31

I'm six foot two and 220, so easy for me to carry the 21, depending on your size, might be a little chunky,,,but weight is great on all day carry.....

Guy-epic
April 17, 2014, 17:27
Oh man I can't believe I am thing about a Glock as a carry pistol

yellowhand
April 17, 2014, 17:45
^^^^^
We all have to face our demons at one time or another!:facepalm::wink:

MACV
April 17, 2014, 21:03
Oh man I can't believe I am thing about a Glock as a carry pistol

Why would you even consider carrying a gun that is light weight, hi capacity, accurate, and hardly ever jams? Jeez :)

Guy-epic
April 17, 2014, 21:42
Why would you even consider carrying a gun that is light weight, hi capacity, accurate, and hardly ever jams? Jeez :)

I know exactly my problem. It kills me if is said Colt on the side and was 25 years old I would be in heaven, but it says GLOCK. I am a gunacist I discriminate against all things Glock. Why is it. Well they did it and I didn't think of it. Actually I have huge respect for who ever designed the first G-series Tupperware. I remember when they came out all the hate, & Glock sat back and let them try to break it. It could not be done. They have proved they are GTG. This is why I bought the 9mm, now I got it super cheap. But now I want to get one the carry? What am I thinking?

Fn/form
April 18, 2014, 23:37
I'm sure you can find the basic Glock Armorer's function test somewhere on the 'net.

Extractor and Recoil Spring Assembly (RSA) have had some teething and worse problems.

What does you ejection pattern look like? Video yourself shooting.

I run Apex Gen4 extractors with recommended related OEM parts and late model RSAs in my Gen4 G17s. The extraction/ejection was lazy and inconsistent before swapping to the Apex. But I never had problems.

My Gen4 G22 (I was an early adopter) had an RSA come apart--but it wasn't evident until I stripped the pistol. Glock replaced it for free after a phone call. The new RSA had a different revision level. No problems since. But I now have spares on hand.

One of the nice things about Glock is the ability to stock replacement parts affordably and do the work yourself.

homelandprotector
April 19, 2014, 00:33
Check out the new G41. :]:beer:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369948

yellowhand
April 19, 2014, 01:05
Check out the new G41. :]:beer:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369948

That is one nice pistol!

MK ULTRA
April 19, 2014, 06:49

Your a GLOCK hater. You don't like Glocks. You don't want a GLOCK.

If you really plan to abuse your Glock until it breaks, Sell it to me. You should stay away from GLOCKs.

I don't think you could break it. There's a Glock thats been used for 20 years. They lend it out for tests and take it to range is like thunder ranch. Were shooters will put thousands of rounds through it in a few days. probably has a half a million rounds through it by now. They have only changed a few Springs and maybe a trigger part.

So you'll never break it. You should sell it.

I read or write up about it 10 years ago and it had almost 200,000 grounds in through it then.

Its bad when when someone hates something because they don't understand it.

ALL FAL
April 19, 2014, 18:49
You all Glock Hater's, so, send me all of your old Glock parts and pieces and I can build my first Glock, then I will give away the parts that are not used in a Pay it FWD thread to some body else to build their first Glock.

Not sure I want or need a Glock as I have plenty of Tokarevs, the Sig .357 would be my favorite, unless I could get a Glock in Tokarev. :|

Let me know who wants my addy first so ya can send me those parts.

Last but not least, why are there no American made Glocks in .30 Tokarev? are the cops that afraid of them? :tongue: yES i SAID aMERICAN mADE gLOCK.

MK ULTRA
April 20, 2014, 09:21
GLOCK USA, SMYRNA GEORIGA

GLOCK is US made and they have a he'll of a warranty.

Im sure someone makes a 762 x 25 barrel for one.

ALL FAL
April 20, 2014, 20:17
Huh, learn something new all the time round here, I was under the impression that glocks were strictly Austrian made, maybe assembled in Smirna EH?

The Glocksters here told me that the .357sig was as close as I would get to a Tokarev Glock, maybe they were wrong.

yellowhand
April 20, 2014, 20:25
Huh, learn something new all the time round here, I was under the impression that glocks were strictly Austrian made, maybe assembled in Smirna EH?

The Glocksters here told me that the .357sig was as close as I would get to a Tokarev Glock, maybe they were wrong.

The 357Sig has been picked up by a lot of LEO's, even SS, that's Secret Service, can't believe I printed it that way, so once fired brass is pretty cheap, on par with 9mm, so reloading is easy and mags are the same for regular 40 SW.

STGThndr
April 20, 2014, 21:34
I have a Glock 21- the .45ACP. Some years ago there was an issue with .45 Glocks undergoing rapid disassembly. Some police depts, including our local PD divested of Glocks and went to SIG. The ka-boom stories werent just rumor, google Glock ka-boom and you will find some interesting reading.

MK ULTRA
April 21, 2014, 07:27
Google search for 762*25 GLOCK 29/20 barrels.

http://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-verizon&source=android-home&site=webhp&source=hp&ei=xYlUU-S7EtOxsAT-wIGoBQ&q=7.62+x+25+glock+barrel&oq=7.62+x+25+glock+barrel&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.3...13310.37999.0.39404.24.24.0.8.8.0.2215.1362 7.2-2j4j10j3j4j9-1.24.0....0...1c.1.41.mobile-gws-hp..6.18.6018.3.G2zTU3AasNY

Seems the 10mm GLOCK is needed due to the round length. It shows 1911 barrels too.

The Polish guns were only $200 and make a great carry piece. The G barrels would be that much. Article says you would also need a hammer spring and a longer firing pin for the military primers. So that's probably another hundred you're looking at a $300 barrel and parts Change over. Plus you have to buy the 10mm unless you already had it. I've heard the 10mm's are hard to find. That could be why the 762*25 barrels have gone away.

That is a good round and it would make a good rifle round. I wish I'd bought in about 10 cases when it was cheap. I only have less than a case.

Also looks like GLOCK has offices in 5 countries.

USA, Smyrna Georgia
Austria
Uruguay
Hong Kong
Dubai

They appear to be a large company now.

VALMET
April 22, 2014, 15:34

Glock production in the US began about 1.5-2 years ago in Smyrna, GA as the US made guns are marked so ("USA" on slide and the state of GA shaped proof mark). Glocks offices in Smyrna opened in the late-80s IMO where the guns were imported and in some cases assembled (?) but 100% US production is relatively new.

ALL FAL
April 23, 2014, 21:38
Thanks for the info Gent's, so who wants my addy to send me all those unused Glock parts? :biggrin:

jugrunner
April 24, 2014, 17:17
There where some issues with the early Gen 4 guns but they have been corrected..

how do you "correct" something that "evaporates" .. . :whistling: ... :shitstorm: ... and has NO safety ...

TheRussian
April 24, 2014, 18:42
I love my Glocks, I have since they came around..
All one has to say is "Imitation IS the MOST sincerest form of flattery" ;)

yellowhand
April 24, 2014, 19:18
how do "correct" something that "evaporates" .. . :whistling: ... :shitstorm: ... and has NO safety ...

:tinfoilhat::tongue::biggrin::facepalm::cry::skull ::calvindancing::idhitit::hobbesdancing::notlisten ing::crystalball::hammering::rockets::lolsign::coo ldown::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

jugrunner
April 24, 2014, 20:11
3 (three) threads in the Dead Glock Files ... if'n I didn't come and stir once in awhile ... what would you 3 guys do ... ???

yellowhand
April 24, 2014, 20:19
3 (three) threads in the Dead Glock Files ... if'n I didn't come and stir once in awhile ... what would you 3 guys do ... ???

nothing but:love:

jugrunner
April 25, 2014, 16:53
there's actually life on the dark side of the moon I see ... :facepalm:

DYNOMIKE
April 26, 2014, 21:24
how do you "correct" something that "evaporates" .. . :whistling: ... :shitstorm: ... and has NO safety ...

You so funny.....
IIRC it had to do with the ejector angle dangle, not evaporation.. :tongue:

ALL FAL
April 27, 2014, 23:11
Hey, I don't see any Glock parts arriving at my door, but then nobody wanted my address, must be the whole Glock melts into nothingness and there are no spares.

Buncha Tightwads.:sad:

yellowhand
April 27, 2014, 23:17
After this thread, I cleaned ALL of my Glocks, Smiths, Browning's, and Colts, and an old Taurus 357 Mag mama keeps in her night stand, even my house AR's and AK's.
Good for another five years in this climate!:whistling:

Tyris
April 28, 2014, 12:26
Google search for 762*25 GLOCK 29/20 barrels.

Seems the 10mm GLOCK is needed due to the round length. It shows 1911 barrels too.

Near as I can tell the 7.62x25 glock barrels are a myth. I've never seen, and the two people I've talked to that claim to have seen them can present no proof that they had ever owned one. I've never seen one for sale.

All of the threads from the google link are discussions about theoretical conversions that typically runs aground when the topic of hard primers and striker fired mechanisms combine.

A few years ago I've emailed several after market barrel makers and they all told me that it would not fit (due to OAL ) nor would it function and were unwilling to attempt a 7.62x25 glock conversion barrel.

I would love to see a modern pistol in the round, particularly with a double stack mag. I think it MIGHT be possible if the glock 10m mags were increased in length a millimeter or two, along with the frame and slide. But that is completely different proposition than merely a barrel swap.

The 1911 conversion struck me as no more interesting than the CZ52 due to single stack capacity constraints.

That all said, I do carry a glock 17c, and think it would be tits if I could get a glock in 7.65x25, or to a slightly lesser degree of desirability 5.7x28.

pardon my rambling and day dreaming out loud. It is monday morning...

-T

Enquiring Minds
April 29, 2014, 21:53
HOW do we keep these low-maintenance, high-reliability roscoes out of the hands of ghetto thug-trash? THAT is da question!

ALL FAL
April 30, 2014, 00:51
Near as I can tell the 7.62x25 glock barrels are a myth. I've never seen, and the two people I've talked to that claim to have seen them can present no proof that they had ever owned one. I've never seen one for sale.

All of the threads from the google link are discussions about theoretical conversions that typically runs aground when the topic of hard primers and striker fired mechanisms combine.

A few years ago I've emailed several after market barrel makers and they all told me that it would not fit (due to OAL ) nor would it function and were unwilling to attempt a 7.62x25 glock conversion barrel.

I would love to see a modern pistol in the round, particularly with a double stack mag. I think it MIGHT be possible if the glock 10m mags were increased in length a millimeter or two, along with the frame and slide. But that is completely different proposition than merely a barrel swap.

The 1911 conversion struck me as no more interesting than the CZ52 due to single stack capacity constraints.

That all said, I do carry a glock 17c, and think it would be tits if I could get a glock in 7.65x25, or to a slightly lesser degree of desirability 5.7x28.

pardon my rambling and day dreaming out loud. It is monday morning...

-T

Pretty Good for a Monday morning, you made sense and in series with my thoughts on the matter.

I was gonna have the daughter get out her hot glue gun, a large plastic squirtgun and an Old CZ52 barrel and just make one, call it a Schlock. :biggrin:

PARA FN FAL
May 02, 2014, 10:41
Glocks are loved by many for a reason. I never cared for Glocks as they looked cheap and had a weird grip angle. So I would use to carry a Sig at work then one day some guys there were all excited about their new Glocks. So I decied to give it a try and it started to grow on me. Now here it is eight years later and I just can't find a reason to dislike them. In eight years I have never had a malfunction that wasn't related to a couple cheap ass Korean mags. Another positive note is Glock parts and holsters are everywhere. I still love the feel of a 1911 but I only shoot Glocks in 3 gun and for a daily carry.

MK ULTRA
May 03, 2014, 20:37
HOW do we keep these low-maintenance, high-reliability roscoes out of the hands of ghetto thug-trash? THAT is da question!

Shoot the "ghetto thug-trash" and take them...

That was easy.....

Wecsogery
May 04, 2014, 14:20
Shoot the "ghetto thug-trash" and take them...

That was easy.....

This! :cool:
But really I don't care if they have it, because I don't lie awake nights worrying about other people having something I may or may not approve of.

nyalaman
May 28, 2014, 17:16
The 9mm should be used with 124 grains minimum, or heavier. They are not designed to be shot with 115's or reloads. That may have been the issue. however 2k rounds without cleaning....I hope no one is complaining.

VALMET
May 28, 2014, 17:21
The 9mm should be used with 124 grains minimum, or heavier. They are not designed to be shot with 115's or reloads. That may have been the issue. however 2k rounds without cleaning....I hope no one is complaining.

Where are you getting your info regarding 124-gr as a minimum?

Guy-epic
May 28, 2014, 17:38
Your a GLOCK hater. You don't like Glocks. You don't want a GLOCK.

If you really plan to abuse your Glock until it breaks, Sell it to me. You should stay away from GLOCKs.

I don't think you could break it. There's a Glock thats been used for 20 years. They lend it out for tests and take it to range is like thunder ranch. Were shooters will put thousands of rounds through it in a few days. probably has a half a million rounds through it by now. They have only changed a few Springs and maybe a trigger part.

So you'll never break it. You should sell it.

I read or write up about it 10 years ago and it had almost 200,000 grounds in through it then.

Its bad when when someone hates something because they don't understand it.

I think you have me wrong all wrong. I am just way behind the curve. I was raised to shoot Colts, Browning, and Winchester. The good old guns. So now I am older and learning things for myself. I just find it odd that I like, dare I say love the Glock.? Just a slow process for me. My uncle about dropped dead when I pulled my AK out at the range the first time with him. I actually have found I can't break my Glock so now I embrace it. Had I not bought it so cheap I would have never been so happy. My only issue is the small 45 I want you really have to grip it differently to control it well.

yellowhand
May 30, 2014, 18:10

ALL of my target/practice 9mm for Glocks and everything else is 115 Grain FMJ's and never had any issues and ALL are reloads, 30,000 rounds worth, may be more.
And I shoot lead bullets out of my Glocks as well, never had a boom/boom, but I do clean the barrels after shooting exposed lead in everything.

VALMET
May 30, 2014, 21:14
I've fired thousands upon thousands of rounds of 115-gr 9mm ammo in all of my 9mm Glocks without a hiccup. I've never heard of a 124-gr minimum as it sounds like some bit of info one would pick up in an LGS.

Skilter
May 30, 2014, 22:10
I like Glocks... The only one I EVER had any issues with was the Gen 1 G36 using heavy lipped steel case ammo.

The G21's have great barrels.(especially the early ones) The G30's are awesome. The G29 is a carry gun that just will not quit.

Broke the mold... Aside from bad ammo... (and then only twice in thousands of rounds) I have NEVER had a G17 malfunction on me. EVER.... EVER.

I don't shoot like I used to do. But... I love guns. I collect guns. But I CARRY a GLOCK.