PDA

View Full Version : High Standard Supermatic Citation

notfrommt
April 12, 2014, 16:35
So I ran into a guy I used to work with at Cabelas yesterday. He was trying to sell them a High Standard Supermatic Citation model 107 in the ML6xxxx serial number range. They offered him $500 for it, and I was honestly trying not to eavesdrop....but I did. He walked out with it, so I caught up with him and long story short bought it from him.

Haven't shot it yet, but man does this thing feel like a tack driver!

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b591/notfrommt/20140412_161553_zps217ed177.jpg (http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/notfrommt/media/20140412_161553_zps217ed177.jpg.html)

jugrunner
April 12, 2014, 18:03
it will be ... :wink: ... recommended to use non-plated lead/standard velocity IIRC ... my wife has 2 of the slant grip model 103's ... (they're really mine) ...

they require cleaning and lubing ... mag may need tuning ... I like fooling around with 'em, as they really are tack drivers ...

go the the High Standard Collectors site ... they'll have interesting stuff to tell you about your pistol ... do you have a gold plated trigger ... ???

notfrommt
April 12, 2014, 18:06
Chrome plated...

What would gold plating indicate?

J. Armstrong
April 12, 2014, 18:26
I've got one just like yours, and it is indeed a tack driver ! It's a love/hate relationship, though. They can be finicky as all hell as far as ammo goes. I don't shoot mine much because it is such a PITA in that regard. You can tune the mags to shoot a given type of ammo reliably but don't expect it to feed much of anything else.
Pretty much the reason my beloved old Browning Challenger II is the one that gets out of the safe most of the time. Not quite as accurate as the HS but it feeds most anything without any pampering.

CWizard
April 12, 2014, 18:34
Mine has the shorter bull barrel. It was just the ticket for 50 foot bulls eye matches for years. I thought it would have been great for squirrels but PA doesn't allow semi auto rifles or handguns for hunting.

SAFN49
April 12, 2014, 23:59
Don't listen to these guys, just clean your mags with kerosene. :wink:
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s30/djm540idjm540i/HS_zps62c76fe5.jpg (http://s148.photobucket.com/user/djm540idjm540i/media/HS_zps62c76fe5.jpg.html)
Welcome to the High Standard Supermatic Citation owners club. Mine is a 104

JohnnyV1966
April 13, 2014, 07:12
Hi Standard Pistols of that era were made exceptionally well. Nice Find! Sweet looking pistol. I remember shooting the Shorter Barrel Version of that pistol on the College Team belonged to and remember it as a, great shooting pistol. Hi-Standard Pistols were the "Gold Standard" of 22LR Bullseye Competitions handguns of the day then, and I'm sure many are still out there today.

Just out of curiosity how do the modern day Hi-Standard Pistols compare in terms of accuracy, quality and price?

notfrommt
April 13, 2014, 08:21
I am planning on shooting it this week, and when I do I will post the results....

Kerosene is lovely stuff, and underappreciated these days as a cleaning solvent. I have my magazine soaking right now.

Thanks everyone!

J. Armstrong
April 13, 2014, 08:29
I find it hard to believe kerosene is going to fix a feed angle sensitivity problem that is inherent in the design, but I sure will give it a try !

SAFN49
April 13, 2014, 09:38
Guys the kerosene comment was tongue in cheek. I think HS was trying to say keep the mags clean and don't use heavily lubed ammo.
There is a guy still making the mag tuning tool.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=407006535

DYNOMIKE
April 13, 2014, 10:05
Here ya go J., this should help... :whiskey:

http://www.gun-tests.com/pdfs/1-3-20steps.pdf

I own TWO Supermatic Trophy's and they are wonderful pistols to shoot..
They do like to be clean, yes they can be ammo sensitive, and finding mags is tough.. But it's worth it..

I have not seen that Mag adjusting tool in many years and I will be ordering one..
Thanks for posting that link..

On another note, what is the secret for disassembling a H/S Mag??

SAFN49
April 13, 2014, 11:35

You really don't want to do that. The are a PITA to put back together. That's why they tell you to soak the mags in a cleaner.

If you must disassemble the mag. use something like a wooden dowel to push the follower all the way down. Pull button out of the enlarged opening at the bottom of the slot, remove wooden dowel and watch the follower and spring shoot across the room.

Reassembly, find follower, try to force spring and follower back into mag body while using your third hand to place dowel on follower to collapse spring and reinsert the button.....;)

DYNOMIKE
April 14, 2014, 07:14
You really don't want to do that. The are a PITA to put back together. That's why they tell you to soak the mags in a cleaner.

If you must disassemble the mag. use something like a wooden dowel to push the follower all the way down. Pull button out of the enlarged opening at the bottom of the slot, remove wooden dowel and watch the follower and spring shoot across the room.

Reassembly, find follower, try to force spring and follower back into mag body while using your third hand to place dowel on follower to collapse spring and reinsert the button.....;)

I never have really tried as there just doesn't seem to be a way to do so??
Just wondered if anyone knew a secret...
I'll just keep doing what I've done for years..

J. Armstrong
April 14, 2014, 09:07
Here ya go J., this should help... :whiskey:

http://www.gun-tests.com/pdfs/1-3-20steps.pdf

I own TWO Supermatic Trophy's and they are wonderful pistols to shoot..
They do like to be clean, yes they can be ammo sensitive, and finding mags is tough.. But it's worth it..

I have not seen that Mag adjusting tool in many years and I will be ordering one..
Thanks for posting that link..

Thanks for the link, Mike. I had the instructions and tool, "tuned" a couple of mags to a particular brand of ammo, and she ran fine, but not much else will run through it now. I'm not going to keep adjusting mags although I will try to find a spec that will at least let a couple of types of ammo run. I had lost the instructions, so the link is a help !

Probably will stay a safe queen, though - there are too many other options that are dead nuts reliable without all the fuss.

Bruce, if you find a source for good mags, let me know :beer:

jugrunner
April 14, 2014, 15:26
I bought 2 (old) NOS mags at the local funshow not long ago ... :biggrin:

$55.00 for both ... they prolly need tuning ... I have that tool and it works great ... I've managed to pick up 8 or 10 extra mags in the last few yrs so keep looking ... they are out there

I don't care how much trouble they are ... nothing else shoots like they do ... !!!!

HankC
April 15, 2014, 06:44
I have a 106 Citation just like the one in picture, but maybe a better condition, that my friend sold to me. He owns it over 50 yrs and only shot it a few times! He gave to me at an excellent price, but I never know what it actually worth. What is a fair price for a Citation in original box, accessories, documentations and original receipt now?

paulo
April 15, 2014, 12:30
FYI, High Standard in Texas makes mags for their older pistols.They should have them back in stock around mid May. $47.00 ea.