PDA

View Full Version : Info Needed on Officers ACP Replacement Slide

Will C
April 10, 2014, 00:01
Just acquired a well-worn Colt officers model .45 that I'm planning to refurbish. I want to get rid of the 80-series slide and replace with a series 70 style, delete the firing pin lock in the frame etc. Caspian Arms appears to offer a replacement slide that will fit the bill.

Anyone here have experience building with Caspian products - good, bad or otherwise? Also, is there any other reputable manufacturer/s that offers series 70 type replacement slides for the Officer's ACP?

tdb59
April 10, 2014, 04:03
Just acquired a well-worn Colt officers model .45 that I'm planning to refurbish. I want to get rid of the 80-series slide and replace with a series 70 style, delete the firing pin lock in the frame etc. Caspian Arms appears to offer a replacement slide that will fit the bill.

Anyone here have experience building with Caspian products - good, bad or otherwise? Also, is there any other reputable manufacturer/s that offers series 70 type replacement slides for the Officer's ACP?

Have only used Caspian products a couple of times, but they were good.

You will want to use this part as well.... http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/frame-hardware/fillers/tj-s-1911-series-80-to-series-70-conversion-shims-prod13121.aspx

TenTea
April 10, 2014, 08:11
Why not just use the original Colt slide along with TJ's shim, save a pile of cash and call it good?
In this way, the series 80 parts are nixxed and you have a series 70 for all intents and porpoises.
Save the series 80 parts if you ever want to *go back* for some ungodly reason. :wink:

N4KVE
April 14, 2014, 10:32
Rock Island slides are 70 series guns. But if it were me, I'd just remove the extra 80 series parts like my Dad did for me 30 years ago. GARY

KoKodog
July 15, 2014, 10:03
You will want to use this part as well.... http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/frame-hardware/fillers/tj-s-1911-series-80-to-series-70-conversion-shims-prod13121.aspx

good catch, a useful shim for reliable function

catmguy445
July 19, 2014, 12:47
I agree with TenTea, you'd save a pile of money by just converting your Series 80 and dumping the FP block parts. However, if you just absolutely have to have a new slide, Caspian makes great ones.

This is fairly dated info, but I worked for a company back in the 1980's that was one of the best custom .45 shops in the country, and our gunsmiths used Caspian frames and slides both in building custom 1911's. The guys in the gunsmith shop also said that Caspian was a Colt subcontractor and supplied a lot of frames and slides for Colt back in the day when Colt was still making Series 70's.

I'm pretty sure that you can also get an Officer's ACP-type slide from Cylinder & Slide Shop, but stand by for a little sticker shock. They aren't cheap, but they're top quality.

And if you don't mind supporting the Philippine economy, Rock Island parts are good quality too, from everything I've heard and read about them, but I don't have any direct experience with Rock Island parts or guns.