PDA

View Full Version : STG44

carmenrose9967
April 06, 2014, 14:45
Has anyone an opinion on the STG44 .22. It look ok, but does it work. Investment?
:confused:Rich

xtremerange
April 06, 2014, 14:54
I got one about a year ago.

Only put about 500 rounds through it during 3 range trips. I think there might have been one malfunction in that time. Don't remember what it might have been, For a 22 mine is GTG for reliability.

The sucker is heavy for a 22. Weight does feel like a centerfire rifle like they advertise. Downside for my young kids is they have a hard time holding it up.

There might be a scope mount now that works but a year or two ago when I looked there was nothing good. ATI offered something that looked like it was a friction fit. Didn't look like a great solution, IMHO.

Trigger is pretty heavy. Have not tried to lighten it. Since I am using it as a plinker, that is far down on the to-do list.

I paid $500 for mine. At the time that was a steal. I think they can be had for less now.

I would buy again, FWIW.

paulo
April 06, 2014, 18:29
If you look in this forum there is a 3 page thread on them.
I like mine, for what it is.

PA Garand Boy
April 07, 2014, 12:38
Got one about a month ago. $425+ Xfer with the wooden crate. I'm quite happy with it.

Lubed it up and took it to the range - it functioned without a hitch. Bulk pack HV's and standard velocity ammo worked fine.

It is pretty substaintial in construction. Basically a basic blowback 22 in a well executed zinc alloy casting. People may bitch about that but the originals were pressed out of sheet metal - hardly the zenith of the gunmarkers art. As a semi auto 22 I'd rather have it than a 10/22 or one of the M4 or MP5 replicas.

It is heavy and the magazines are long. The sights are suprisingly sharp.

The ATI factory scope mount replaces the rear sight assembly and screws into place. Probably OK for a red dot but it would put a conventional scope farther forward. There are other receiver mounted options that you can rig up.

Investment? If you want to invest for financial return, buy an index fund, not a standard production firearm. That said, I think it has the makings of a classic when it goes OOP. It won't be a dog. Someone will always want one.

gunner30
April 07, 2014, 20:02
Grabbed one of the first ones to hit the market, no issues and its fun. Go buy one

paulo
April 08, 2014, 11:55
Grabbed one of the first ones to hit the market, no issues and its fun. Go buy one

This!!

BigBoy1
April 09, 2014, 05:31
I echo all of the comments so far - It is a great rifle. A bit heavy but them again it is a replica of a center fire rifle which are always heavier than a .22.

Here is a picture of my WWII MP43 and the .22 STG. Notice how they did an outstanding job of copying the real one which is the top rifle.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t308/i422twains/PICT0204.jpg (http://s163.photobucket.com/user/i422twains/media/PICT0204.jpg.html)

I've "tricked" out my STG44 by adding a scope and the ability to add a suppressor.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t308/i422twains/PICT0216_zps8313eb9e.jpg (http://s163.photobucket.com/user/i422twains/media/PICT0216_zps8313eb9e.jpg.html)

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t308/i422twains/PICT0217_zpsb5e54e72.jpg (http://s163.photobucket.com/user/i422twains/media/PICT0217_zpsb5e54e72.jpg.html)

All in all, it is a fun rifle to shoot and I don't think one can go wrong getting one. Just my $0.02.

gunnut1
April 09, 2014, 22:30
I have close to 1000 rounds through mine. I love it. I had a couple of miss feed when I first got the gun but that was me and my inexperience loading the mags. After that, I don't recall any stoppages.

However, there are a couple of problems. The front sight is WAY too high. you have to set the rear sight to 8 to zero the gun. I am going to file my front sight down.

They are a little fragile. Mine slide down the wall and hit the floor and bent the rear sight. It appear to be made of cast aluminum. I replaced it with an AK RPG sight.

I have 7 mags for mine. Seems like I spend all my range time loading mags!!!!
I really like the gn and I can live with the two idiosyncrasies

BigBoy1
April 10, 2014, 06:43
It appear to be made of cast aluminum.

The receivers are made from cast zinc, not aluminum. As such, make sure to wipe the gun down good with oil after each time it is handles as the acid from sweat can cause problems with the zinc receiver.

CRShooter32
April 11, 2014, 09:18
Bought one last summer, put as many rounds through it as my son would let me swipe from his dwindling supply, about 200. No issues with function, but, it does shoot a bit low, elevated the rear sight to accommodate that. It really is a fun plinker.

PA Garand Boy
April 11, 2014, 10:33
However, there are a couple of problems. The front sight is WAY too high. you have to set the rear sight to 8 to zero the gun. I am going to file my front sight down.

This is a universal issue with these rifles.

Before you file the front sight, try this:

Remove the rear sight leaf
Remove the spring, this will expose the mounting screws (these are also the attachment points for the factory scope mount)
Remove the mounting screws to take off the rear sight base.
You will see two bosses/projections where the screws attach to the receiver.
Put 2 #6 washers on top of each mounting point (you will need to shave the ones on the rear point) and reassemble the sight. This will raise up the entire base so you don't have to move the elevator on the rear leaf to goofy looking levels.

gunnut1
April 11, 2014, 17:47
Yea I know about that. But I see some problems with it. the biggest one is that you lose support for the rear sight by raising it. It looks funky and I consider it a band aid. Filing the front sight is the correct way to correct the problem. Since these are not collector rifles, I see no problem filling the front sight.

Blackmore
April 14, 2014, 17:40
Centerfire has these for just under $450 and ATI has a $50 factory rebate through the end of May.