PDA

View Full Version : Fin Mosin Nagant M39 not much of a range report

Sagerider
April 02, 2014, 23:06
I picked up a very nice Finland M39 Sneak Mosin Nagant from a fellow FF member and shot it for the first time today. After receiving it I removed the action from the stock to check it all out including the bolt locking lugs and firing pin stick out. All checked out 100%. :)
This rifle is very similar to the 91/30 model but similar is relative. The stock is serious heavy duty as is the barrel in comparison, yes it is heavy. It is a military battle rifle after all and being such at the time it was in use it is heavy. The trigger is more of a lever than a trigger by today's standards but that's the way it was and they liked it.
The steel target is 130 meters from the bench and 16.5 inches high over all, 12 inches not counting the upper section. The rear sight ladders first gradient is 1.5, 150 meters, more or less or the walking stride of Joseph Stallin. I put it on 1.5 and set up on the bench. One shot put me about 2.5 to 3 inches high vertically dead center. Mosin Nagants tend to shoot a bit high I understand so I set my sights at the lower half of the target. Bore had been mopped out clean and dried. I took my time with the rifle set up on a front rest and sand bag rear under the heal. I whistled a few bars of Dixie while I was reeling in the trigger then a nice flinch free let off. No other shots were taken as I figured this was too good to ruin and called it good. :)
Ammo was Russian military surplus 147 grain silver tip.
I really enjoy older rifles even though modern rifles have the advantage. There is just something about steam age rifles that is hard to beat.

Illurian00
April 02, 2014, 23:21
I think your shot knocked the target sideways , sorta' catty-wumpus. So long as your happy.

ismith
April 03, 2014, 00:17
Gotta love the Finnish Mosins! Raised hell with the 300 yard gong last weekend with some Finnish Mosins last weekend. The perfect winter plinker.

RG Coburn
April 12, 2014, 06:54
Run some Czech silvertip thru it. Mine like it.