PDA

View Full Version : 98 Mauser question

rmsbill
April 02, 2014, 02:10
Can someone explain the purpose of the vertical grooves
machined into the rear of the cocking piece?
Thanks, Bill

kar66
April 05, 2014, 14:28
I read somewhere sometime. Don't remember where or when that you were suppose to be able to recock the action with another round. I have tried to do it a few times and not been able to do it. Maybe somebody younger and stronger could. But I can't. Even though I still try once and awhile.

Wecsogery
April 17, 2014, 02:35
According to what I have read, the slot is there so you can use the rim of another round or fired case to recock the striker in the event of a misfire. This is a safety feature, because having the round fire while you are lifting the bolt handle to recock could be disastrous.

kar66
April 17, 2014, 11:14
I don't ever remember trying to do it while the bolt was still in the rifle. I may have been able to do that. Every time I needed it recocked was when I got in a hurry and forgot to turn the safety up when working on a bolt.

jdmcomp
April 18, 2014, 07:55
Can you not insert a coin in the slot to hold the fp back to make taking the bolt apart easier, or for cleaning?

Wecsogery
April 30, 2014, 16:21
It's easier to have a hole in your bench for that. Ever notice how some military Mauser stocks have a metal-lined hole through the side? That's to assist in bolt dis/ reassembly, just in case you didn't already know.