PDA

View Full Version : Python prices - not for the timid

April 01, 2014, 23:48
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=python

dammmnnnn

SWOHFAL
April 02, 2014, 02:42
Ten years or so ago, they were still to be found under a grand.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=406150947

jshema
April 02, 2014, 03:21
Makes me wish I had paid the $500 for a used hard chromed one about 12 years ago!

D P Six
April 02, 2014, 08:21
An attractive gun for sure but very prone to go out of time with few people knowing how to work on them anymore. Always an expensive gun compared to a S&W, Colt dropped the Python about ten years because they weren't selling. Now everyone seems to want one....go figure.

TenTea
April 02, 2014, 09:19
Judging by that search, they aren't too scarce.

nwobhm
April 02, 2014, 09:43
$5k for Python Elite.....had one. It was a total POS out of the box @ $1k. Sold it, no regrets.....fools with $.

kwthor
April 02, 2014, 09:44
Most aren't selling.
They ones with bids are in the teens.

nwobhm
April 02, 2014, 10:01
I wouldn't want one for $800. They don't run worth a shit.

DJ
April 02, 2014, 15:00
I bought my Python 15 or 18 years ago. I paid somehwere around 450 bucks for it. It's nickled and I'm not big on nickled guns, but that little voice told me I best buy it if I want a Python.
I bought it. It's the last one I've seen for sale....until now with prices through the ceiling.
My son has his eye on one down in the Abilene Texas area. Guy wants 2300 for it and won't budge. Justin wants one, but not that bad.
I told him if he can wait awhile, he can have mine.

SWOHFAL
April 03, 2014, 00:48
$5k for Python Elite.....had one. It was a total POS out of the box @ $1k. Sold it, no regrets.....fools with $.

Still have one and would trade it for a 60s or 70s model. I may just sell.

raexcct2
April 03, 2014, 01:59
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=python

dammmnnnn

For that kind of stupid money, I would just get a Smython (S&W with Python barrel) built.

M62/M76
April 03, 2014, 09:02
I'll pass on that kind of stupid money.
No Python, but I do love my other Colt's.
I am happy with my NIB SP101 .357 for $425.00.

SteelonSteel
April 03, 2014, 09:41
I got a 4" Royal blued one a few years ago. The guy wanted $300. I gave him $400. I knew him. :wink: It had a touch of light wear at the tip of the barrel from holster wear, the man wore it to work as a town cop.

It's a sweet gun but I like the S&W double action better, just the way the springs stack up differently. They're both smooth but the Colt has a final stackup that I find a bit disturbing to my aim.

Retired Bum
April 03, 2014, 15:16
There is a local gunshow at the county fair grounds this weekend. I am tempted to get out my 1975 made blue six inch Python and pull the Packies off and replace them with the factory grips and take it to the show just to see what kind of offers I get from those old farts sitting behind the tables.

According to my records I paid $385 for this Python almost 25 years ago. I bet the top offer I would get for it would be $500 give or take a few dollars either way. I've said it before and I will say it again. If you own it then it is worthless. If they own it then it is priceless....

And so it goes and it would go for the right price in cold hard cash.

The Retired One

D P Six
April 03, 2014, 22:01
My wife has her late Dad's 1970 Python which I believe was $125 when purchased new.

Insider
April 04, 2014, 11:38
The price on Pythons is totally ridiculous! They are common guns, look how many are out there. There are much nicer S&W's out there for less money.

Mark IV
April 04, 2014, 18:21
I'll take my S&W 19 over a Python any day of the week.

SWOHFAL
April 05, 2014, 03:23
Everyone ought to have one Python, if only because of their looks, but I do think S&W are more realistic choices and a Manurhin MR-73 would be something I'd look for if I wanted a top quality revolver with the price to match, it being an improved and hand-fitted take-off of a S&W adapted for severe duty.

DJ
April 05, 2014, 08:26
I have my Python with it's butter smooth trigger and I have my 6" Smith 28 that I bought new back about 1972. I've put lots and lots of rounds through that 28 and it's trigger is butter smooth, too. Got a pair of Pachmayers for it, also a set of Herretts that are on it now.
If push came to shove, and I had to pick one or the other, I spose I'd go with the Smith, just because.....
I do like that Python, though.

cavman 69
April 06, 2014, 11:17
Pythons have always been big money. I bought mine in 1986 and it was north of $650. I still have it, shoots perfect. 357 ammo is another matter,$$$$$.

DJ
April 06, 2014, 16:51
I just got my Python out of the safe and looked up the serial number. It was made in 1968, I bought it used in May of 1990 and paid a whopping $399.95 for it.

Gazz
April 07, 2014, 05:31
I bought a Python way back in 1989 for about $275 - it was included in a package deal with some other firearms. I never cared much for it other than it was nice to look at. If I shot it at an indoor range with the partitions between each position, I was always rewarded with lead spray in the side of the face. I sold it not long after I bought it. I bought a S&W 686 before I bought the Python and it never did any of that. I still have the S&W and many rounds later, is still very accurate.

mpnv
April 07, 2014, 19:27
I wouldn't want one for $800. They don't run worth a shit.

+1
I had two. Sold both. They are notorious for going out of time with mag loads.
Colt Cool-Aid

bozzman3
April 07, 2014, 22:01
Had one, purchased for $650 4 inch bright nickle.Sold it for $1800 in one day!I purchased a Smith Model 19 prior to selling my Colt.The Smith was so good,the trigger so much better that the colt had to go!!!!

BubbaTheKid
April 10, 2014, 09:51
The price bump is due to "The Walking Dead" TV show. Main character uses Stainless Colt Python. Someone would buy it for stupid loot if it were on offer, but there you have it, there aren't any for sale. And so it goes...

Clark
May 17, 2014, 22:41
I got a 1978 Python 6 months ago for $1235 + tax at a pawn shop in the Seattle area.

DJ
May 18, 2014, 09:43
Just a FWIW, 2 weeks ago, there was a 6 inch blued .22 Diamondback in the gun library at the Fort Worth Cabelas. 1600 bucks.

STGThndr
May 21, 2014, 20:13
Ive got a 4" deep-blued Python I picked up in or around 1980, paid something outrageous like $400-500 bucks. Every payday I went to the bank and then to the dealer to make a payment. It's real eye-candy! Didnt need it, but wanted the biggest and bestest revolver in my social circle... It's a gleaming beauty!
Somewhere along the line I misplaced the (worthless) wood grips, and have a set of Pak's and a set of Hogue finger-grips (Which I prefer). Need to replace those misplaced woodies. It's too expensive to shoot so I carry my S&W Highway Patrolman when I want a .357 revolver, which is seldom in any event.
Now I hear a lot about the weakness of the Colt internals and lead-spitting. I find that it DOES "spit" when hot loads are used, I thought it was just ME shooting too-hot rounds.
In any event it's a beauty for looks, handling, field accuracy, and making other guys jealous...

W.E.G.
May 21, 2014, 21:37
Me and Stinkbutt is all the .357 I needs.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/686-5/stinkbutt-smaller.jpg

May 23, 2014, 15:58
Got a dealer friend who has a 6" blue one in his case for $2500 - o'course it's in .22...

Retired Bum
May 23, 2014, 17:48
You want a super rare Python? Back in the 1960's Colt made up 20 of them chambered for the .256 Winchester Magnum. These were presentation pieces and given to the Colt executives. So what do you think one of these would fetch in today's market?

And so it goes.

The Retired One

.30-06
May 23, 2014, 20:13
Just got a trooper for $500, good enough for me.

H_Talon
May 24, 2014, 13:52
There is a local gunshow at the county fair grounds this weekend. I am tempted to get out my 1975 made blue six inch Python and pull the Packies off and replace them with the factory grips and take it to the show just to see what kind of offers I get from those old farts sitting behind the tables.

According to my records I paid $385 for this Python almost 25 years ago. I bet the top offer I would get for it would be $500 give or take a few dollars either way. I've said it before and I will say it again. If you own it then it is worthless. If they own it then it is priceless....

And so it goes and it would go for the right price in cold hard cash.

The Retired One

and those OLD FARTS would then put it on their tables for 1800 ++
better off keeping it :-) My .02

fake name
May 24, 2014, 18:49
I always wanted a Python when I was a kid. My family didn't have a lotta cash and guns were for hunting and plinking. Pythons were like Corvettes-who didn't want one but who could afford one? Years later, when I worked in a couple of gunshops I gazed at them with awe, they're just so good looking with that deep blue, the vented lugged barrel, and that silk smooth action. But I couldn't afford one-no way. Back in the 80's there was no other revolver that could come close to a Python for quality (S&W was churning out junk then-but hell, you could sell an M-29 for twice MSRP with metal filings pouring outa the barrel). About 15 years ago I got some "found' money and purchased a 6" blued Python. Never regretted it. It's never seen a holster, I've only taken it out to the range a half a dozen times, but every time I do it turns heads. Helluva accurate handgun when I do my part.............

May 26, 2014, 06:42
Amen

Timber Wolf
May 31, 2014, 09:02
Ive got a 4" deep-blued Python I picked up in or around 1980, Somewhere along the line I misplaced the (worthless) wood grips,

Hmmm, I wonder what it will cost you to replace those "worthless" wood grips.;)

DJ
May 31, 2014, 16:44
Hmmm, I wonder what it will cost you to replace those "worthless" wood grips.;)

Just for grins and giggles, I just looked on Flea Bag and Gun Broker......original Colt Factory Python grips ain't cheap. Well over 250 bucks on Gun Broker.

EinheitElf
June 02, 2014, 14:49
Hi all, hey I am trying to help a friend locate a Colt Python, blued, 4" barrel, think he is looking for a pre 1968(?)-basically he wants one with a low/no serial#(did colt EVER do a gun without a serial?) Have NO idea ...

He is a legit guy, just looking for his holy grail.... aren't we all...:]

If anyone can give me some leads I would appreciate it greatly...:beer:

I need to post pics of my couple old revolvers......:beer:

June 03, 2014, 07:46
The original grips are pretty but mostly useless. mine would tear the skin off the inside of my shooting thumb.
I know a 14 year old kid who just received a 6" colt python from his dad. kid doesn 't want it. dad doesn't either. me smells blood in the water.

augie1
June 03, 2014, 13:53
Cool guns but never a big fan. Shot a Python and a Trooper a few times but always preferred my S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman. Just a matter of what you prefer I guess.

Retired Bum
June 03, 2014, 15:32
I whole heartedly agree with the wooden checkered factory grips for the Python being uncomfortable to shoot with full power loads bare handed. I've had three Python's over the years and I replaced the factory grips with after market grips. A set of Herret's Shooting Star wooden grips on my first Python. Number two got a set of Packies with the gold Colt medallions. My current Python wears Packie Grippers.

I seldom shoot the Python these days. Maybe once a year with some easy shooting cast lead 150 grain SWC's. As it has been previously mentioned Colt will not repair a broken DA revolver. When I want to shoot full power jacketed .357's I break out my six inch S&W 686 or one of my three N frames.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

tx_oil
June 27, 2014, 10:16
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu27/tx_oil/100_3153.jpg (http://s630.photobucket.com/user/tx_oil/media/100_3153.jpg.html)
This one lives in the safe and looks purty. (The shiny one, BTW)

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu27/tx_oil/Picture077.jpg (http://s630.photobucket.com/user/tx_oil/media/Picture077.jpg.html)

This one gets carried and shot regularly.

Both are fine revolvers. The Colt is a trophy wife, the Smith Model 66 is a woman who hunts, camps, works next to you and makes a mean crawfish etoufee'.