PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight 5" gun

shlomo
March 23, 2014, 18:47
After most of 20 years sitting on a hook on the pegboard, the aluminum full-size frame finally got built from odds and ends lying around the shop.

Pretty much a GI pattern gun, all dark park and anodized, GI barrel and bushing, wood stocks, and standard short trigger, grip safety, hammer and thumb safety. All of which are unusual for a gun I build for myself.

Only real departure, other than the aluminum frame, is the old-school blocky King's combat fixed sights, with a painted block under the notch, and a dot on the front blade.

Took it up to see if it worked today. It did, 100%, even with lead SWC ammo, much to my surprise. The ramp isn't even polished. It ate about 200 rds of that, and a couple mags of ball, which is a no-brainer.

I was also surprised that it was very tame to shoot. I rather expected it to have snappier recoil impulse than the regular gun. If it did, it was negligible.

I will have to make one alteration to it, though. I have that little chewed place the size of a match head on the back of my hand between the thumb and forefinger, despite my best efforts not to "high-grip" it.

Gonna go out now and see if I have a beavertail I can cut down a bit to cure that fault. If I can get it sorted out, I may have a new carry gun after a bit more proving out. This thing is notably lighter to both hand and belt.

shlomo
March 23, 2014, 20:49
Went out a few minutes ago, and weighed it, and it turns out that it goes 27.9 ounces empty. The stainless gun I've been carrying is 37.4 oz.

The lightweight is one ounce lighter with a magazine of 8 rounds of hardball than the stainless gun is empty. :)

This is it. Plain Jane:
http://i61.tinypic.com/27ze0ds.jpg

yellowhand
March 23, 2014, 21:40
We go shorts and T's here in AZ 10 months out of the year.
Picked up a light weight Springfield 1911 several years ago and it became my carry 45 after the first trip.
Helps keep my pants in place!:D
The difference in carry weight is very noticeable.
Very Nice looking 1911, a beaver tail will tame the bite.

tdb59
March 23, 2014, 21:44
No spur, no bite.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/597x324q90/33/novak001.jpg

Hebrew Battle Rifle
March 23, 2014, 22:01
Did you anodize the frame?
Have you ever used one of these grip safeties?
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t290/maddogkiller1/IMG_5006.jpg (http://s163.photobucket.com/user/maddogkiller1/media/IMG_5006.jpg.html)
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t290/maddogkiller1/IMG_4954.jpg (http://s163.photobucket.com/user/maddogkiller1/media/IMG_4954.jpg.html)

Olaf
March 23, 2014, 22:20
NICE !
Love the old school look, and the GI safety, never understood the need for extended, The GI is easy enough to disengage when there's a need and if your putting your heater on safe, the danger should be gone (one would hope).

What is the make of the slide you used.

Sijones
March 23, 2014, 22:24
I REALLY like that safety quasi beaver tail! Who makes that ?

shlomo
March 23, 2014, 22:27
NICE !
Love the old school look, and the GI safety, never understood the need for extended, The GI is easy enough to disengage when there's a need and if your putting your heater on safe, the danger should be gone (one would hope).

The slide is a GI part.

I also find that a standard thumb safety works just fine for me, even though I have traditionally used Swenson-type speed safeties--single sided.

Hebrew Battle Rifle
March 23, 2014, 22:32
NICE !

That is a COLT M1911A1 slide made post WWII as a replacement slide.

shlomo
March 23, 2014, 22:32
Did you anodize the frame?
Have you ever used one of these grip safeties?
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t290/maddogkiller1/IMG_5006.jpg (http://s163.photobucket.com/user/maddogkiller1/media/IMG_5006.jpg.html)

That's quite a nice arrangement. Ideal, in fact, in every way. Well done! :) :beer:

The frame has some kind of factory anodized finish. I have not used that particular grip safety, but normally like a blended-in full size Ed Brown type of high grip beavertail. I have one such in hand just now, but will be altering it so as to not need to chop the frame to fit it.

Hebrew Battle Rifle
March 23, 2014, 22:36
That's quite a nice arrangement. Ideal, in fact, in every way. Well done! :) :beer:

The frame has some kind of factory anodized finish. I have not used that particular grip safety, but normally like a blended-in full size Ed Brown type of high grip beavertail. I have one such in hand just now, but will be altering it so as to not need to chop the frame to fit it.

That isn't my pistol. I just saved the pics for inspiration for my own projects.

shlomo
March 23, 2014, 22:38
No spur, no bite.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/597x324q90/33/novak001.jpg

Ah, the spirit of Bob Loveless still walks abroad! Somewhere around here I still have both a hammer and a grip safety made up like that. Had them on a commander that was not very different from HBR's above.

I can't recall why, but I decided that I didn't like the hammer in that guise. Maybe it was the fact that it was unprotected by a spur from a blow.

shlomo
March 23, 2014, 22:40
That isn't my pistol. I just saved the pics for inspiration for my own projects.

More's the pity, as it is very well thought out, and nicely done.

ALL FAL
March 24, 2014, 00:04
I have a question Gent's, can a Titainium frame be had? :)

jdinabqnm
March 24, 2014, 01:52
take a look at the Caspian Arms website for a Ti frame

http://www.caspianarms.com/RR.php

shlomo
March 24, 2014, 07:48
Gonna be rockin' the lightweight in a Milt Sparks Yaqui Slide that a certain kind soul here (^^) forwarded to me in the Pay it Forward thread. :biggrin:

W.E.G.
March 24, 2014, 08:36
...but does it bean you in the noggin with brass?

shlomo
March 24, 2014, 08:49
...but does it bean you in the noggin with brass?

Negative. It's all about the extractor hook. ;)

I may get around to lowering the side of the ejection port some day, however. Just because.

shlomo
March 24, 2014, 17:23
Shot it again late this afternoon. Also brought along the stainless "match custom". Curiously, and inexplicably, the lightweight gun is noticeably softer to shoot in a side-by-side comparison. I let another guy shoot both guns and he agreed that the difference is unmistakable.

Anybody got a theory?

tdb59
March 24, 2014, 17:40
Anybody got a theory?

Any differences in interior slide cuts ?

Wider grip panels ?

pistol5
March 24, 2014, 17:41
That shortened/blended Bvtail is Heirloom Precision...Jason Burton is one of their 'smiths...great idea, and never seen it commercially other than them. Love the alloy frames for carry.......P5

shlomo
March 24, 2014, 17:45
Any differences in interior slide cuts ?

Wider grip panels ?

No. And No. I'm wondering if it's recoil spring differences. Oddly, over the years I've noticed that lighter springs seem to make the gun less "snappy" to shoot. More like it "chugs" in its cycle. I don't perceive much difference in the effort needed to rack the slide between the two, but there is definitely a slicker feel to the slide on the match gun.

I wonder if friction is slowing down the slide on the lightweight?

L Haney
March 24, 2014, 17:52
No. And No. I'm wondering if it's recoil spring differences.

I'd say, "yup."

You know I want to shoot that thing. I'll bring fodder. You bring the stainless and I'll bring my Metrosexual Arms pimp gun and we'll do that.

Heh, the way I hold one these days the term 'shake down' takes on a whole new meaning.

tdb59
March 24, 2014, 18:03

I wonder if friction is slowing down the slide on the lightweight?

Tighter hood fit / longer link on the match gun ?

That will give a sharper initial impulse to the firing hand.

shlomo
March 24, 2014, 18:29
I'd say, "yup."

You know I want to shoot that thing. I'll bring fodder. You bring the stainless and I'll bring my Metrosexual Arms pimp gun and we'll do that.

Heh, the way I hold one these days the term 'shake down' takes on a whole new meaning.

Any time, bucko. I forget which is the MAPG.

I still think it's mainly friction. Slide velocity is lower in both directions on the LW. Still, if I can shave 10 ounces off the gun and get lower recoil impulse, what's not to like?

Gotta either bob the hammer or install the beavertail, though. Prolly the former.

shlomo
March 24, 2014, 18:31
Tighter hood fit / longer link on the match gun ?

That will give a sharper initial impulse to the firing hand.

The barrel/slide are better mated to be sure, but the link is standard, IIRC. There is no "snap-over" on unlocking, though, if that is your question.

March 29, 2014, 11:29
are aluminum frames prone to cracking ?

yellowhand
March 29, 2014, 21:07
are aluminum frames prone to cracking ?

Got well over 4K on an old FED ORD lite weight lower 1911 frame, still going strong:biggrin:

shlomo
March 30, 2014, 10:44
Got well over 4K on an old FED ORD lite weight lower 1911 frame, still going strong:biggrin:

Good news for me, since that's what mine is. :)

pistol5
March 30, 2014, 11:48
Kimber states they quit testing their alloy frames at 20,000 rounds(standard FMJ loads),w/no appreciable wear on the frames.YMMV/P5

yellowhand
March 30, 2014, 13:23
Good news for me, since that's what mine is. :)

Because I was in the Army, going and coming from OS assignments for 24 years, had to kept receipts/paperwork for everything that went bang.
Was bored once and put them all on computer,,,
:D, showing my age, paid $28.45 for mine, new!

shlomo
March 30, 2014, 14:57
Because I was in the Army, going and coming from OS assignments for 24 years, had to kept receipts/paperwork for everything that went bang.
Was bored once and put them all on computer,,,
:D, showing my age, paid $28.45 for mine, new!

I can't remember for sure, but I think I paid 45 or 50 bux for mine. Still do that again in a heartbeat. ;)

yellowhand
March 30, 2014, 17:00
I can't remember for sure, but I think I paid 45 or 50 bux for mine. Still do that again in a heartbeat. ;)

I carry a Lite weight Springfield Enhanced 1911 a lot.
Helps Keep my pants up, since as I got older, my wife says I ain't got no ass anymore!:(:wink::eek::rolleyes::facepalm:

shlomo
March 30, 2014, 17:08
I, on the other hand, have some I need to get rid of. Ask anybody.

yellowhand
March 30, 2014, 17:40
I, on the other hand, have some I need to get rid of. Ask anybody.

:biggrin: Hang onto it, hurts less when the old woman chews on it, or at least it did when I still had some:biggrin:

Guy-epic
March 30, 2014, 17:49
Darn nice looking pistol. Sure would like to put 8 down the pipe of it

tdb59
March 30, 2014, 18:49
:biggrin: Hang onto it, hurts less when the old woman chews on it..........

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pjkLf_X88WM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

shlomo
March 30, 2014, 21:25
Darn nice looking pistol. Sure would like to put 8 down the pipe of it

I have the time, place, and ammo.

All ya gotta do is cross the continent to do it. :biggrin: