PDA

View Full Version : L85A1 Rifle?

smcrea
March 21, 2014, 19:55
Sorry folks for I didn't really know where to ask this question and so landed on this forum!

I'm ex Brit Military now a proud US citizen living here in Kalifornia. I'm in the middle of an L1A1 build, have just finished an AR build and was wondering if it's possible to get the parts needed to build a L85A1 (SA-80) (l-85) here in the US?

I've never actually fired one as I left the mob in 1990

Any leads?

Thanks!

Bubacus
March 21, 2014, 21:33
A company here in the states called Prexis had a semi-atuo DIY SA 80 kit out a few years ago. I never heard much about what happened with them. The link to the product no longer works, but here is a pic of what they were selling:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/laser_cut_teaser_plates-tfb-tm.jpg

Topbanana
March 21, 2014, 23:00
A company here in the states called Prexis had a semi-atuo DIY SA 80 kit out a few years ago. I never heard much about what happened with them. The link to the product no longer works, but here is a pic of what they were selling:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/laser_cut_teaser_plates-tfb-tm.jpg

I was following that project. It never really came to fruition.

Story
March 22, 2014, 12:45
IIRC, there were a handful of semi-autos imported in the late 80's and were going for @ $600 at the time.

Edit: my bad - a former owner on ARFCOM said "approximately 100 semi-auto SA80s imported into the U.S. in 1987 or 1988, made by British Aerospace and imported by Golden State Arms Co of CA. $5,000 each". :uhoh:

(This dude here http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=3439192&postcount=8 )

This bein' 'murica (at last for the moment) and folks can spend their money as they see fit, smcrea, I'm curious as to why you'd *want* one?

I thought the universal opinion of UK troops was that they sucked?

enbloc8
March 22, 2014, 13:33
IIRC, there were a handful of semi-autos imported in the late 80's and were going for @ $600 at the time.

Edit: my bad - a former owner on ARFCOM said "approximately 100 semi-auto SA80s imported into the U.S. in 1987 or 1988, made by British Aerospace and imported by Golden State Arms Co of CA. $5,000 each". :uhoh:

Wow, never knew about those. Somehow I'm surprised that RSAF Enfield would have bothered.

This bein' 'murica (at last for the moment) and folks can spend their money as they see fit, smcrea, I'm curious as to why you'd *want* one?

I thought the universal opinion of UK troops was that they sucked?

Even if they do, they're next in line after the SLR, and if you're interested in British small arms....

gaijinsamurai
March 22, 2014, 13:39
I have read/heard that the Brits have worked out the bugs of the earlier L85/SA80.

As a collector of British small arms, I'd be interested if I could find one at a reasonable price, which i know won't happen.

kmurphy
March 22, 2014, 20:19
There is a PL-85 setup for sale right now on Weaponsguild.

Story
March 22, 2014, 20:40
Even if they do, they're next in line after the SLR, and if you're interested in British small arms....

For the same price I think I'd rather have a BREN or Vickers, even semi-auto.

But ...Baskin Robbins, 31 Flavors.

smcrea
March 22, 2014, 20:46
I agree with <gaijinsamurai>... As Ex British military I'm interested in Brit small arms and always wanted my L1-A1 :smile..which is being built as we speak, and I have a Lee Enfield .303.

But I'm certainly not going to dig deep in my pockets for a SA-80... maybe if I could get one for around the same price an AR then I would consider it!

I've heard that they suck big time which is probably why they're not being imported into the US! :whistling:

Story
March 22, 2014, 20:50
FYI: The kit on weaponsguild uses an AR15 bolt, has a bent receiver (so FFL item) and the guy's asking $1800. No idea what /how much work is needed to finish that.

.30-06
March 22, 2014, 21:26
I agree with <gaijinsamurai>... As Ex British military I'm interested in Brit small arms

Hey smcrea, if you're looking to build another Brit rifle that is reasonably priced, I might look for a British-made G3 parts kit. They were for sale on APEX for a while and I kick myself for not getting one at the time, they aren't too expensive when they pop up.

gaijinsamurai
March 22, 2014, 22:01
Actually I'm pretty sure they had to send them to Z Germans to get them to work properly.

Yeah, I read somewhere that H&K unfvcked them.

PA Chris
March 23, 2014, 10:32
Sorry folks for I didn't really know where to ask this question and so landed on this forum!

I'm ex Brit Military now a proud US citizen living here in Kalifornia. I'm in the middle of an L1A1 build, have just finished an AR build and was wondering if it's possible to get the parts needed to build a L85A1 (SA-80) (l-85) here in the US?

I've never actually fired one as I left the mob in 1990

Any leads?

Thanks!

Save your money!
They really were a POS. We were issued ours in about 90/91. These had the first bugs ironed out. Optics would no longer mist up or leak (So they said), magazine catch had a raised housing around the release button to stop the mags going missing, and the plastic furniture was replaced to stop it falling off.
My first trip to the range resulted in, a misted up susat, the charging handle pulling out every other time weapon was charged. Best of all, after stripping it for cleaning, it wouldn't go back together as the gas parts would no longer fit together. This was the same on a good two thirds of the weapons used on our first trip to the range with the SA80. They never ran 100% and tough if you were left handed.
The SA80 A2 (Rebuilt by H&K at 400 UK pounds per rifle) is supposedly a 100% better rifle, but the damage has been done. Its replacement is due to be announced this year, I believe.
They must have sold off lot of the early ones, as they were available as DEACTS a few years ago in the UK.
Chris.:(

smcrea
March 23, 2014, 11:19
Save your money!
They really were a POS. We were issued ours in about 90/91. These had the first bugs ironed out. Optics would no longer mist up or leak (So they said), magazine catch had a raised housing around the release button to stop the mags going missing, and the plastic furniture was replaced to stop it falling off.
My first trip to the range resulted in, a misted up susat, the charging handle pulling out every other time weapon was charged. Best of all, after stripping it for cleaning, it wouldn't go back together as the gas parts would no longer fit together. This was the same on a good two thirds of the weapons used on our first trip to the range with the SA80. They never ran 100% and tough if you were left handed.
The SA80 A2 (Rebuilt by H&K at 400 UK pounds per rifle) is supposedly a 100% better rifle, but the damage has been done. Its replacement is due to be announced this year, I believe.
They must have sold off lot of the early ones, as they were available as DEACTS a few years ago in the UK.
Chris.:(

Thanks for the explanation Chris!... actually I don't have a burning itch to own one.. not like the L1-A1 which I've been dreaming about for years! :-)

I think I was more interested in the 'why' don't you see them over here in the US... I think you've answered my question LOL :-)

Thanks Again!

enbloc8
March 24, 2014, 10:32
As a collector of British small arms, I'd be interested if I could find one at a reasonable price, which i know won't happen.

Just wait'll they get retired and certain Angry Beavers get ahold of 'em....

enbloc8
March 24, 2014, 10:33
Yeah, I read somewhere that H&K unfvcked them.

Yes. "The Last Enfield" from Collector Grade is the whole story of the SA-80 and how it came to be such a mess, along with the decline and fall of RSAF Enfield.

gaijinsamurai
March 24, 2014, 11:02
I've seen that book. It's a little depressing.

enbloc8
March 24, 2014, 17:43
Yeah, more than a bit. Telling, though, as to what damage a few hardheaded people plus a lot of apathy can do. :facepalm: :cry:

gunplumber
March 24, 2014, 19:46

Yep - there was a gun store across from the El Toro Armed Forces Recruiting station - they had a SA version for a bit more than that in 1986, I think it was $800. I couldn't imagine anyone paying that for it . . . you could buy an HK 91, 93, or 94 for about the same or a little less.