View Full Version : Remington 700 VS

March 13, 2014, 13:07
I have a 20 year old (bought it brand new in 1995) Remington 700 VS in 308 Cal, that I'm thinking of trying to sell. I have probably shot it less than 100 times since I bought it.

It is the 26" Heavy Barrel.

Looking around on the interweb, it appears as if the new version of this rifle is called the "SPS" and goes for around $550 plus shipping and transfer fees (plus state tax if you're not lucky). It also appears to have a different style of stock.

I had thought all the newer Remingtons were equipped with some kind of bolt locking mechanism. Is this true?

Are there any significant differences in the new vs old versions?

Are the older ones any more desirable?

Looking for input. Thanks.

March 13, 2014, 13:42
I'll take it for $550! :( I can't do that to you. It's worth a little more depending on the stock and condition. $700 to $800 in my opinion. The older Remingtons seemed to have a better finish and machining....

March 13, 2014, 14:16
The VS stock is 100 times better than the pos stock they put on them now. The older Remingtons are much better made as well. Think they did put some kind of lock on them, but I don't own any new ones. After 2000, I'd rather have a new Winchester than a new Remington.

I have a 223 and a 308 VS (308 bought here on the Files from somebody that said it wouldn't shoot, stock was touching barrel, Dremel put it right quick). The 223 killed probably 80+ coyotes, I had a streak going at one time when I had 30 coyotes down, 1 shot, 1 kill, no misses. That rifle would put 5 in a dime size group with Federal factory 50 gr hp's. Have not shot the 308 much, but the little I did, it grouped well under .75 inch.

At $550 it would sell quick...:beer:

March 13, 2014, 14:22
If you decide to sell you may want to put it on GB with a $600 dollar start and No Reserve. You might be surprised at what it may bring. It's not wood stocked, so I think it may go for $800+. Just my opinion.

March 14, 2014, 21:26
I have one exactly like that one. DO NOT sell it, DO NOT! You will be sorry if you do.

March 14, 2014, 22:45
I have an older 700V on my rifle if you put the safety on the bolt is locked down on my friends 700 SPS if you put the safety on you can still operate the bolt to unload/load it.

L Haney
March 15, 2014, 04:53
My Bud at work has that same model I believe. Off a bench-bipod and with 45 grain ballistic tips it will do head shots on a steel crow target @ 230~ yards every single time. That's with him shooting it, I don't do quite that well.

He does have excellent glass on it which shows exactly what the rifel is capable of.

Were I you I'd hold onto that thing.

March 17, 2014, 07:38
They still use that stock on the VS SF II, LTR and the 5R. I sold my last one, and bought the 5R. I do like the new adjustable trigger, with the better barrel it was a noticeable upgrade. Hold out for $750 or so, the stocks are $400 and a new rifle with that stock is almost $1100.