PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Ultra Compact

KevinGA
March 11, 2014, 21:04
I recently bought this from an individual. He said he had never fired it, and that he was not the original owner. When I test fired it I encountered some problems.

One was several failures to extract. I added tension to the extractor and it began to extract reliably. Sometimes right into my face! So I walked it back a bit.

Also had several light primer strikes. Each time I re-cocked the hammer and the second strike fired the round. I called Springfield Armory the next day, and the guy I talked to suggested the pencil test to see how forcefully the firing pin would eject a pencil. It was maybe twelve inches straight up. Tried my Mil Spec for comparison. Straight into the ceiling. So I swapped the pin and spring into the Ultra Compact. Went and fired about two hundred more rounds with no problems.

Springfield sent me a new titanium firing pin and Wolff XXPower spring, which are identical to the original pieces. The Wolff spring is about three fourths of an inch longer than the Mil Spec spring and noticeably stiffer.

I just can't see how a much stronger spring is appropriate for a pin with so much less mass. I am inclined to get a steel firing pin and a regular spring. I would welcome any thoughts or suggestions on this matter.

MACV
March 11, 2014, 22:03
I'm having the same problem. New pistol. Light strikes failing to fire Blazer aluminum case. About 1 rnd of every two mags. Pull the hammer back and it fires the second time. Winchester ammo fires every time. Guess I'll call Springfield too. The hammer spring feels light compared to my other Springer.

nearmisses
March 13, 2014, 14:47
Sounds like the problem a lot of these shorties have, not firing, slide out of battery, check and see that the slide is completely closed. Sometimes the hammer strike closes the slide the small amount necessary then fires the second time. Most of us use the 22 lb. Wolfe spring to alievate the condition but can also be cause by ill fitting extractor. Check for extractor marks on cases. Hope that helps.

jugrunner
March 13, 2014, 18:18
Sounds kike the problem a lot of these shorties have, not firing, slide out of battery, check and see that the slide is completely closed. Sometimes the hammer strike closes the slide the small amount necessary then fires the second time. Most of us use the 22 lb. Wolfe spring to alievate the condition but can also be cause by ill fitting extractor. Check for extractor marks on cases. Hope that helps.

my Colt Defender is 100% ... but I shoot it ... sounds like the OP's needs a good grease job and the chit choot out of it ... :wink:

Springfields are good pistols but are a little rough from my experience ... need to be slicked up and shot ... MAKE it shoot ... !!!

KevinGA
March 13, 2014, 21:20
my Colt Defender is 100% ... but I shoot it ... sounds like the OP's needs a good grease job and the chit choot out of it ... :wink:

Springfields are good pistols but are a little rough from my experience ... need to be slicked up and shot ... MAKE it shoot ... !!!

Yeah, the gun definitely needs to be broken in. Springfield told me this gun was manufactured in 2002 (it's the Mil Spec Ultra Compact, which was only made for a couple of years), but my guess is that when I got it it had no more than maybe a box through it. At this point I've fired it about another 300 rounds.

I have the Hallock .45 Auto Handbook and the Kuhnhausen books, but I've only skimmed them. Honestly I haven't needed to do anything to any of my full size 1911's (which have also been Springfields) since they have all worked pretty flawlessly right out of the box. So I have to start doing some research.

KevinGA
March 13, 2014, 21:24
Sounds kike the problem a lot of these shorties have, not firing, slide out of battery, check and see that the slide is completely closed. Sometimes the hammer strike closes the slide the small amount necessary then fires the second time. Most of us use the 22 lb. Wolfe spring to alievate the condition but can also be cause by ill fitting extractor. Check for extractor marks on cases. Hope that helps.

The gun appeared to be going into battery when the problem happened, but I admit that I didn't check it very closely before the hammer fell the first time. So it is possible that it happened as you described. I'll try the 22 lb. spring and see if I can discern any extractor issues.

I appreciate the replies and suggestions, and I will provide an update if there are any developments to report.

jugrunner
March 14, 2014, 16:57
I'd take some 400/600 wet/dry paper and smooth the rails ... ammo is high ... !!! ... be careful ... :wink:

is it stainless or park/blue ... ???

KevinGA
March 14, 2014, 18:46
I'd take some 400/600 wet/dry paper and smooth the rails ... ammo is high ... !!! ... be careful ... :wink:

Okay, I haven't tried to smooth the rails yet. Could this be done with a fine lapping compound?

is it stainless or park/blue ... ???

It's a Mil Spec Ultra Compact, so it has the parkerized (or what appears to be parkerized) finish.

gobbler
March 15, 2014, 07:29
I have one & it had feed issues too. I found it is very finicky with the magazines. Lube the hell out of it and only use rounded bullets........it does not like the cone shaped ones at all. This goes for my compact Colt Defender too. As Jugs said ......shoot the crap out of it!

gobbler

jugrunner
March 15, 2014, 09:12
Okay, I haven't tried to smooth the rails yet. Could this be done with a fine lapping compound?

It's a Mil Spec Ultra Compact, so it has the parkerized (or what appears to be parkerized) finish.

I went back and read "Mil-spec" ... figured it was park ... lapping compound will do ... I have better control with the paper but that's just me ...

unlike Glocks ... 1911's are built to last several life times ... takes awhile to get 'em slicked up ... broke in ... they don't evaporate either ... :wink:

I'm sure you know all that living in Ga. ... :bow:

ALL FAL
March 17, 2014, 21:43
Just glancing quickly here I see a Pistol that Brand new is a rebuild waiting to happen, when NEW you should expect maybe a little oil addition and trouble free firing, dang Maker should be all over this PR nightmare.

Thanks for the warning, if I want a compact I can build one that will go Bang every time the trigger is pulled. :wink:

gates
March 18, 2014, 01:04
We had one that had to go back to Springfield - it came back and I bot it, it's been an awesome pistol - Springer has EXCELLENT CS - send it back and they will make it right. It sucks but cutting a 1911 down to micro size creates issues.

Aeroscout
March 18, 2014, 04:25
While you have that 400/600 wet dry paper out....polish up the breech face while you are at it......shiny like a mirror.

Less breech face friction the better.

KevinGA
March 18, 2014, 20:11
Okay, I haven't done any polishing yet, but here's how things stand. I put a steel firing pin (from my full-size Mil Spec) in the gun and have fired about 300 rounds without any more misfires.

I have not had any failure to extract since the first test either after having added a little tension to the extractor.

I have some Chip McCormick magazines, and some Wilson Combat magazines that the seller included. I have had a couple of instances where the last round failed to chamber from a Wilson. Unfortunately, I did not mark them to see if it was one or more than one, but the Chip McCormicks have never done this, so until I can replace the springs and try them again, the Wilson mags are hors de combat.

So, using a steel firing pin instead of the original titanium firing pin, and using the Chip McCormick magazines, the gun functions reliably. I have also let both of my sons fire it and they experienced no problems.

jugrunner
March 19, 2014, 20:38
it appears you fixed it ... :bow: ... I've only had a couple that couldn't be fixed (by me) ... easily fixed by a "real" gunsmith ... shooting them really helps ... the DO need a "break-in" ... go ahead and polish it a little ... :wink:

ya done good ... !!!

Okay, I haven't done any polishing yet, but here's how things stand. I put a steel firing pin (from my full-size Mil Spec) in the gun and have fired about 300 rounds without any more misfires.

I have not had any failure to extract since the first test either after having added a little tension to the extractor.

I have some Chip McCormick magazines, and some Wilson Combat magazines that the seller included. I have had a couple of instances where the last round failed to chamber from a Wilson. Unfortunately, I did not mark them to see if it was one or more than one, but the Chip McCormicks have never done this, so until I can replace the springs and try them again, the Wilson mags are hors de combat.

So, using a steel firing pin instead of the original titanium firing pin, and using the Chip McCormick magazines, the gun functions reliably. I have also let both of my sons fire it and they experienced no problems.

March 29, 2014, 12:09
long ago i looked at the .45 ultracompacts but reliability is numero uno so i got the glock 27.