View Full Version : Newest Sig

March 09, 2014, 22:28
and my other Sig. First my newest Model 716 Patrol, then my 556 with a 551 lower:

I picked the 716 up two Saturdays ago and had to send it back to Sig - the front sight was canted slightly to the right. It looked like the gas block was installed off square. Have not heard back from Sig yet despite sending an e-mail asking for some information. Other then that I really like the gun so far...

cavman 69
April 06, 2014, 11:11
I love that 556. I want one!

Tuscan Raider
April 06, 2014, 11:16
If I got back into .308, it would be with the 716.

Those things are sweet.

April 06, 2014, 11:21
My 556 sig is my only AR style rifle right now except a colt that needs to be sent to its new owner.

April 07, 2014, 12:29
Doesn't that essentially make the 556 a 551A1, but with a better lower receiver?

I have read reviews on the 551A1 and it is apparently no where near the quality of the true 55X series made outside of the states.

Fit and build quality or the furniture was also an issue with US made Sig rifles. How does your hybrid 55 and 716 fair?

April 07, 2014, 17:23
Don't believe everything you read online. There is a particulary bad review of the 551-A1 on youtube by 'Military Arms Channel', which would have you believe these SIG rifles are literally falling apart the moment they leave the factory, which is certainly not a common experience. His rifle has so many 'problems' its difficult to believe, but he has given SIG no leeway to correct them, which is very odd - as if he'd prefer not to have the rifle fixed. He also rags on features of the 551-A1 that are *indentical* to the legendary Swiss 55x rifles (such as the stock) while stating they are nowhere near as good as the Swiss (duh its exactly the same part).

I have a very early 556, as well as a 551-A1. My old 556 (which now has a genuine Swiss lower) was a very early one (3xxx s/n) - it has been and continues to be both extremely reliable and accurate. My 551-A1, unlike the one reviewed by MAC, is 100% tight with no upper/lower slack, no slack in the stock, and negligible slack in the handguards. The 551-A1 lower is forged aluminum, unlike the old Swiss lowers, which are stamped steel, but note that the latest Swiss made 553s have very similar forged aluminum lowers.

In my opinion, the current US made handguards are actually superior to the Swiss ones in that they are made of a slightly stiffer plastic and are sturdier (although purists prefer the slightly different design of the Swiss ones).

A few of the very early 556's (2007ish) had a canted top rail, which SIG US fixed. That small initial problem seems to have haunted them for years and given rise to the myth that they all have terrible problems - something the AR industry seems happy to keep alive, or so it seems to me.

April 07, 2014, 22:24
10-4, Thank you for the positive input. I am in the dreaded Califorina and it is difficult to find an in stock 551A1 to handle at LGS's. Particularly hard in Northern CA.

I'll have to keep looking, however most people selling theirs either do not have bullet buttons or want $1400+ used for the rifles. That is unfortunately the market that CA commands. Everything is more expensive because it is harder to get.

April 15, 2014, 16:24
Didn't Sig run the ads with the flash hider upside down?

April 16, 2014, 18:57
My 556 sig is my only AR style rifle right now except a colt that needs to be sent to its new owner.

A 556 is way closer to an AK than an AR. Other than sharing caliber and magazines ( and maybe a butt stock if you have an early one) they have almost nothing in common.

Or did you mean 516?

April 17, 2014, 05:22
Didn't Sig run the ads with the flash hider upside down?

Heh, maybe! The 556 originally came with an AR style A2 flash hider - I suppose if it wasn't tightened down properly with the crush washer it could have happened!

April 23, 2014, 11:00
Sucks to hear about that front sight. That 716 looks nasty. I like it