PDA

View Full Version : S&W revolver value help?

Scott V2
March 06, 2014, 07:54
One of my industrial clients is wanting to sell me a stainless steel 357 S&W.

All he had was cell phone pics. It appears to be a PD gun because it has been stamped WPBPD 79. The serial number is 1d892xx. The wood grips were not beat up in the pic, it looked not have been used on patrol very much.

He's thinking he wants $600 for it and 500 rounds of reloads.

Any idea of real time value for this piece and what model it is? TIA

croftonaviation
March 06, 2014, 08:30
More specifics might help with identifying model and value. What barrel length is it, and fixed or adjustable sights? What sort of reloads, commercial or bubba? Are the reloads 38 or 357?

Fwiw around here a nice clean 4" model 66 (.357, adjustable sights, stainless) will bring $500 and up all day long.

The reloads if they are .357 are worth at least $50 for the brass alone.

Are you familiar with how to check the timing and lock up on a revolver? Also you can check for flame cutting on the top strap to see if it has had a lot of .357's through it. If you need help about checking the timing/lockup ask and I will do my best to walk you through it. Most of your police guns were carried a lot, shot a little, but it helps to check.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Timber Wolf
March 06, 2014, 09:42
Since we don't know what it is beyond a "Stainless .357 S&W" & "500 reloads" I would say that is not a bad price if the gun is in good condition, the reloads check out, and a fellow wants it. It is probably a 4" Model 66, according to my crystal ball anyway.:facepalm:

Scott V2
March 06, 2014, 15:16
Sorry about the cryptic information. I don't have the pics from his cell phone. I think it is a stainless 66 with a 4" barrel myself. I was hoping the serial number might be able to nail it down more.

Wouldn't sloppily stamped police department numbers on the frame diminish the value over a non-stamped revolver of the same lineage?

jugrunner
March 06, 2014, 15:53
Sorry about the cryptic information. I don't have the pics from his cell phone. I think it is a stainless 66 with a 4" barrel myself. I was hoping the serial number might be able to nail it down more.

Wouldn't sloppily stamped police department numbers on the frame diminish the value over a non-stamped revolver of the same lineage?

you're buying a shooter ... :wink: ... wouldn't bother me ...

ALL FAL
March 06, 2014, 22:06
Pick it up man.

W.E.G.
March 06, 2014, 23:03

Stinkbutt is much more refined.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/686-5/stinkbutt-smaller.jpg

croftonaviation
March 07, 2014, 08:35
The simple fact is that there will probably not be any S&W revolvers built that do not have a lawyer lock on them. A revolver with a police marking but without a lock is still way more desirable than a new one. Also the older revolvers were built before mim parts. Now if that is better or not can be debated, but a revolver guy wants the older gun. If your ok with the providence of the reloads, buy it and shoot it. It is not going to go down in value.