PDA

View Full Version : accurate rifle w/compact magazine

mountainman
March 03, 2014, 16:36
OK, I was wondering if there is an accurate bolt action with double stacking magazine out there ( Like AR10 Magazine). If not, would it be worth while for people to have their Rem 700 magazine wells remachined/refinished to accept AR10 magazines? The idea here is to have a compact removable magazine in a Bolt action rifle. All discussion is pertinent. You have 2 cents to add, I have 2 ears to listen.

Hebrew Battle Rifle
March 03, 2014, 16:57
What would be the purpose of a bolt gun with a 20 rd mag? I am sure that there is one. I am just not seeing it.

shortround
March 03, 2014, 17:16
I got a Mossberg MVP patrol in 308 a couple of weeks ago. Haven't had time to do much other than fondle it. Takes AR10(M14 body type) mags, and has a pretty ingenious latch set up. most of the gun looks pretty much borrowed/stolen from Savage. The barrel has a nut and the trigger works a lot like the accutrigger. Where it differs is, there is a drop down "lip" on the bolt that facilitates it feeding from a double stack magazine. The jury is still out on the durability of that feature.

That said, the stock sucks.

So, to answer part of your question, there is a bolt action that takes double stack AR10 mags. Can't tell you yet if it's accurate.

JohnnyReb
March 03, 2014, 17:31
I bought a stock for my Savage that takes AE mags. Holds 12 rounds.

tdb59
March 03, 2014, 18:08
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WHbm_MQvnaM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tac-40
March 04, 2014, 12:53
I would say that any removable magazine bolt gun could be considered for a hi-cap mag conversion. That said, what would be the benefit of a that kind of magazine. A precision rifle is not designed for high volume fire and would suffer appreciably in the accuracy category - losing the precision moniker and reverting back to a standard battle rifle. Once it cools down, then accuracy would come back. I think that hi-cap mags on a bolt gun are solutions to a problem that doesn't exist. But that is my 2.

W.E.G.
March 04, 2014, 13:45
The only way this type of gun makes sense is in the context of legal restrictions which might disallow semi-auto guns.

Surely, we know that the semi-auto design has no detrimental effect on useful accuracy.

An example I can think of is the Pennsylvania hunter who may not want to own a large collection of rifles. PA law forbids the use of semi-auto for deer hunting. So, some PA guy wants a rifle that has capacity as a defensive weapon, and which can also be used for hunting in PA.

Tail wagging the dog?

Certainly.

Usefulness as niche solution to other inconveniences?

I think so.

mountainman
March 04, 2014, 18:27
never was thinking 20 rd mag. Compact as in 10 rd AR10 magazine. Would anyone out there think it worthwhile to open up their magazine area in the recvr to accept such magazines in a 700? I know there is a ten round option out there, but single stack and long.

W.E.G.
March 04, 2014, 19:25
never was thinking 20 rd mag. Compact as in 10 rd AR10 magazine. Would anyone out there think it worthwhile to open up their magazine area in the recvr to accept such magazines in a 700? I know there is a ten round option out there, but single stack and long.

It has been done.

Work required is substantial.
Demand is paltry.

Read some about it at http://www.homegunsmith.com/Archive/T20597.html

gunplumber
March 04, 2014, 20:04
I endorse the detachable mag in any bolt action, but even with the Badger/PTG trigger group for the AI mag (single stack), the 10 rd is a bit bulky. But the 5 round is so much easier to load than trying to get 5 rounds into the internal mag well.

kmurphy
March 04, 2014, 20:19
I endorse the detachable mag in any bolt action, but even with the Badger/PTG trigger group for the AI mag (single stack), the 10 rd is a bit bulky. But the 5 round is so much easier to load than trying to get 5 rounds into the internal mag well.

This is what I was going to type. I recently used a friends 700 with an AI stock/mag setup, and I realized how nice it was versus the internal mag well when I went back to my standard configuration.

Illurian00
March 04, 2014, 23:07
I think the increased mag capacity is a good option. Gives a little more flexibility for 'home defense'. But the availible options, as has been stated, are pricey.

Maybe Andythe Aussie mght chime in. I believe they use larger capacity mags in their bolt guns down there to tackle multiples of large varmints like kanagroos & pigs & camels & stuff.

Stoney
March 05, 2014, 11:39
SMLE

SAFN49
March 05, 2014, 12:41
Steyr Scout all the way! They have been around for almost a couple of decades but don't take M14 mags. you can get their mags in 5 or 10 rounders.

starbuck
March 05, 2014, 13:52
I am torn, I like to tinker, but when it comes down to it, I don't keep a gun I tinker with long. The fun is in building/modifying it. I like my go to rifles to be strait from the factory despite their shortcomings.

Thomas
March 05, 2014, 15:22
I have hunted deer with the Rem 721. And dad used the pump version.

I have seen 12 round mags at the gunshows that fit both.

Dad could shoot the pump faster than I could shoot the auto.

And he could really hit with it as well.

Texgunner
March 05, 2014, 15:35
What would be the purpose of a bolt gun with a 20 rd mag? I am sure that there is one. I am just not seeing it.

Well, although shown here previously, there is this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/byChkCfZqbE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>