PDA

View Full Version : Catamount Fury 1 review

davechng
February 22, 2014, 17:51
I finally took the plunge and bought me a Catamount Fury 1 from Century Arms . Bought it from JG sales in Prescott AZ.

The item came in with the Basic Shotgun, cleaning rod and 2 5 rd magazine. The manual was quite good in describing everything.

Note:
Gun is well made and everything seems in place. the only thing bother me is the stock being quite long .. I am not a big guy, being about 5'5" I may cut the stock by another 1" to get it correct.,
The choke tube seems to be really tight and I could not remove it. ( Yet)
Magazine and everything fits great and I put in a few dummy rounds and doing the normal racking of the bolt it feed ok!
There is a detent that holds the gas block setting in different position !mine is kind of finicky since I press in the detent and it did not pop back up! i had to put some lube in it and kind of tap it lightly.

2-9-14
I bring my Fury out to the range and equipped with a box of high brass Long range shells and 2 boxes of cheapest box of 7 1/2 shells I got from Walmart.

1st 5 rds the cheap Walmart did not cycle ! I click on the gas setting and its the same.

next 10 rds I was shooting the high brass shells and it cycle with no problem. and for me hitting a flying clay was no problem.
After finishing about 25 rds of the higher powered rounds I switch back to the cheap rounds and it seems to cycle ok now... shoots 95% of the time with no problem! Had 1 shot that did not eject correctly. I think the break in kind of make it better

Finally finish all my shells and with minmal issue of ejection or anything just a fun gun to shoot.

Now for me to get the choke tube taken care of and stock shorten . I am quite happy with my purchase so far.

I manage to cut the stock down and put on a slipon buttpad.! next would be to remove the choke tube which I have not had a chance to do! Oh! i did put on a fiber optic sight placing right on top of the gas tube ! works great!

Here are the pic of my shotgun

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/davechng/Forsale/P1040750_zpsf9dbe1ef.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/davechng/Forsale/P1040749_zps07aa164d.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/davechng/Forsale/P1040747_zpsbbcf6f51.jpg

DAveC

W.E.G.
February 22, 2014, 18:41
That punkin-chucker just looks bad-ass.

Will they even allow you on the grounds of the orange-disk fuddfest if that gun is even in the trunk of your car?

davechng
February 22, 2014, 22:07
probably not.... :)

yeah! the best thing is it holds the last round bolt open and it has a bolt release button. 10 rd magazine just can;t go wrong for a good 3 gun match shotgun over any under loader.

so far I have not seen much review on this shotgun and i picked it up half the price of a Saiga that needs modification to get the features I wanted .

DaveC

February 23, 2014, 05:50
i hope the fury works out ok, just run some more high brass through it. does it shoot slugs? too bad it does not take saiga mags. my s12 has been working fine with about everything i have fed it. those 3" mag slugs will rock ya.
i got fondle a vepr 12 lately and that thing is now high on my wish list.
the last round hold open i do not miss with the s12. keep it simple.

Timber Wolf
February 26, 2014, 14:19
So just what is the 922r situation with these and why don't Saiga mags fit? Enquiring minds what to know.

GALILAR308
February 27, 2014, 14:30
I just bought a Fury 2, same thing but with a dragunov style stock. Cheap walmart shells would not cycle the action. I fired 25 3inch buckshot. No problems, I believe it needs a break in period. It takes giant ar15 style mags. Vepr and saiga mags do not fit.

stimpsonjcat
February 27, 2014, 16:20
Tuning these should be similar to the Saigas.

You need to polish all the bearing surfaces you can get at to reduce friction and may need to open (or at least inspect) the gas holes from bbl through gas block to gas tube.

If someone can post pics looking up into the mag-well with the bolt present and in battery I would appreciate it.