PDA

View Full Version : M2 Carbine slide question

Sampson1986
February 22, 2014, 14:42
I recently came across a transferable M2 Carbine slide/operating rod for what I think is a pretty fair price. Brand new - never installed on any weapon.

I know a little about the registered receiver carbines and the conversion kits but I'm clueless about these registered slides. Hell, I didn't even know there was such a thing. :?

How durable are M2 Carbine slides? Are they known for breaking? I hate to drop several thousand dollars for something that might become a useless paperweight.

Also, how big of a PITA would it be to finish out the conversion? I know an 07/02 who could do the work but I'd rather do it myself if possible (legally, of course).

Thanks, guys.

LAFAL
February 23, 2014, 08:33
The slide isnt prone to breaking. More apt to break is the Trip lever at the rivet or to lose the spring/plunger out of the sear. They are a hoot to shoot- better reload all the carbine brass you can find or buy a bunch of Aguila. Also ours seems to have a problem with the handguard coming off during full auto fire. I dont know if the retainer spring is loose, band is bent or if itsma common occurence. We just stick it back on, retighten the screw and shoot.
The conversion itself is easy to install- they designed it to fit any carbine with the use of a round bolt and the proper inletted stock. Its esentially a soldier drop in unit- You-tube vids will show you allmyou need on installation and how it works.

djfin
February 24, 2014, 10:48
I am more than a little confused by your post. To the best of my knownage and experiance M2 slides are not "Registered" parts. They are available at most of the gun shows that I attend. Who is trying to sell a "registered and tranferable" slide and for how much. A transferable M2 carbine I understand but a slide no. You do not need any paperwork to buy a slide. I have been told that the complete M1 to M2 conversion kits could be registered back in the day. I am not sure about this. I do know that you can buy M2 slides from several sources online with the standard NFA rules disclaimer without any problem.

kev
February 24, 2014, 11:22
Generally speaking, all the individual M2 parts can be bought unrestricted with the exception that a complete set of parts is considered to be a "machine gun". All dealers who sell unrestricted M2 parts have at least one of the parts they don't stock/sell in order to remain legal. As far as registration is concerned, receivers have been registered, complete M2 'kits' have been registered, and individual parts have also been registered. It all depends on the paperwork.

The individual parts don't have to registered, but they can be.

LAFAL
February 24, 2014, 14:14
Yeah, sorry about the TMI post. Just an M2 slide is NOT registerable. No paperwork involved.

Sampson1986
February 24, 2014, 17:34
I am more than a little confused by your post. To the best of my knownage and experiance M2 slides are not "Registered" parts. They are available at most of the gun shows that I attend. Who is trying to sell a "registered and tranferable" slide and for how much. A transferable M2 carbine I understand but a slide no. You do not need any paperwork to buy a slide. I have been told that the complete M1 to M2 conversion kits could be registered back in the day. I am not sure about this. I do know that you can buy M2 slides from several sources online with the standard NFA rules disclaimer without any problem.

Yeah, sorry about the TMI post. Just an M2 slide is NOT registerable. No paperwork involved.

I shit you not - this is a **supposedly** registered and transferable M2 Carbine slide - manufactured (or at least registered) by S&H Arms. $5500 - never installed on a gun.

I had never heard of such a thing so I took the time to write to the dealer selling it to ask if it was transferable. He assured me it was. I checked him out on the ATF website and his license is legit.

I thought if the damn thing wasn't prone to breaking, it might be a nice addition to my gun safe.

This puppy has been apparently been sitting for at least several months.

ETA: Waiting for Curtis Higgins to get back with me and tell me what the status of this thing is.

Evoskoot
February 24, 2014, 18:30
WHAT?! Look at Fulton Armory M1/M2 carbine section. I'll sell you a transferable M2 slide, new and never installed for $4000. So easily transfered that no paperwork is needed!

Sampson1986
February 24, 2014, 19:32
I just fired off an email to Curtis Higgins.

Hopefully he'll be able to confirm if the slide is legit.

You guys put some doubts in my mind about this thing. :biggrin:

mpnv
February 24, 2014, 19:59
Sampson....I have a M2 slide and trigger group on my M1. It is semi-auto only and does not have the parts for select fire. It also has the "pot belly" stock.
This is the way it came from CMP. Hopefully, the guy selling this "slide" for $5,500. is including a transferable and complete M2 wrapped around it.:p
Mike

Evoskoot
February 24, 2014, 20:18
two for $5000.

Sampson1986
February 24, 2014, 20:29
Hopefully, the guy selling this "slide" for $5,500. is including a transferable and complete M2 wrapped around it.:p
Mike

Afraid not. Pretty expensive slide, huh? I'm hoping Curtis Higgins tells me what I want to know. It would be pretty unique if it is what the dealer says it is.

Haven't seen you in a while. Hope you're keeping out of trouble. :biggrin:

Sampson1986
February 25, 2014, 12:28
So...

Curtis Higgins says wasn't at S&H Arms when this slide was supposedly registered. I always thought he founded the company.

djfin
February 25, 2014, 18:44
I will sell you my M2 slide for the bargain price of $2500.00 and I will throw in free shipping.
What do you hope to achive by purchasing this "tranferable" slide? This will not allow you to assemble full auto rifle. A full set of registered M2 conversion parts might fly but no way can you or anyone else build a transferable M2 from a "transferable" slide. Call the ATF yourself. I would not risk my freedom on second hand opinions. Better yet ask to see the tax stamp for the slide. If it is "tranferable" it will have a tax stamp.

Sampson1986
February 25, 2014, 19:37
What do you hope to achive by purchasing this "tranferable" slide? This will not allow you to assemble full auto rifle. A full set of registered M2 conversion parts might fly but no way can you or anyone else build a transferable M2 from a "transferable" slide. Call the ATF yourself. I would not risk my freedom on second hand opinions. Better yet ask to see the tax stamp for the slide. If it is "tranferable" it will have a tax stamp.

What you're trying to say is that there is no such thing as an M2 slide that is registered as a transferable machine gun?

Here is a link to what I'm talking about:

http://www.tacticalinc.com/sh-arms-m2-carbine-registered-slide-p-2678.html

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if this thing is registered, if it is transferable, why couldn't somebody put it on an M1 (along with the other necessary parts) and have a fully functioning M2?

partisan50
February 25, 2014, 20:44
What you're trying to say is that there is no such thing as an M2 slide that is registered as a transferable machine gun?

Here is a link to what I'm talking about:

http://www.tacticalinc.com/sh-arms-m2-carbine-registered-slide-p-2678.html

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if this thing is registered, if it is transferable, why couldn't somebody put it on an M1 (along with the other necessary parts) and have a fully functioning M2?

Yes, there is such a thing as a transferable slide but none of these so call know it alls have any clue about M2 carbines and should STFU and move onward.

A M2 carbine registered trigger pack is a collection of parts and has to have the original NFA registered serial number on ONE of the parts. For some conversions the SN is on the trigger housing, trip lever, disconnector, selector, hammer and yes the slide. Mine was on the trip lever and I have seen registered slides before. It all depends on what the manufacture had available to register.

Any other questions let me know.

Note I have seen one slide break because of a hot round (bad reload) so there is a possibility of breakage, but not common.

Lee Carpentieri
February 25, 2014, 20:46
Allot of different things were able to be registered back in the day, YES their are registered M2 slides, GUESS WHAT, I own one that is transferable. It was registered in 1968 by the personal owner at the time. Mine has the IRS TAX stamp registration number on it.

partisan50
February 25, 2014, 20:52
Allot of different things were able to be registered back in the day, YES their are registered M2 slides, GUESS WHAT, I own one that is transferable. It was registered in 1968 by the personal owner at the time. Mine has the IRS TAX stamp registration number on it.

Yes sir, thanks for yore input. I think that I heard that M2 sears were registered as well.

And this thread shows how many people can be so clueless about something, but insist they know what they are talking about.

Sampson1986
February 25, 2014, 21:18
And this thread shows how many people can be so clueless about something, but insist they know what they are talking about.

I confess that I'm ignorant on the subject of M1 Carbines and their full auto counterparts. I had never seen or heard of a transferable slide and wanted to be sure that everything was on the up and up and that such a beast could withstand the stress of full auto fire. It's not worth legal trouble or having a useless broken paperweight.

If a transferable slide were to break, would it be possible to repair it? Where would the most stress typically occur?

Thanks to all who have taken the time to reply.

djfin
February 26, 2014, 17:52
Yes sir, thanks for yore input. I think that I heard that M2 sears were registered as well.

This thread also show how some self appointed experts are rude and arrogant with very little ability to understand the printed word. No one who posted before your rude response insisted anything. Several people myself included posted answers based on what they had heard and seen for sale in the market over many years. I infact stated "to the best of my knowledge" in my post. I read nothing were anyone insisted anything but you.

"Yes, there is such a thing as a transferable slide but none of these so call know it alls have any clue about M2 carbines and should STFU and move onward."

Is there a reason for your rude and unnessary comment? While I am sure that you are an expert on every subject that you post a reply on a polite response would have served just as well as your STFU statement. FYI the Chicago regional office of the ATF told me that they were not aware of a transferable M2 slide and did not believe that a full auto rifle could be assembled from this part. Just their opinion based on memory and no research.

Lee Carpentiei made an informative post and provided information in a polite and friendly manor. You should take note for future posts.

partisan50
February 26, 2014, 20:01
This thread also show how some self appointed experts are rude and arrogant with very little ability to understand the printed word. No one who posted before your rude response insisted anything. Several people myself included posted answers based on what they had heard and seen for sale in the market over many years. I infact stated "to the best of my knowledge" in my post. I read nothing were anyone insisted anything but you.

"Yes, there is such a thing as a transferable slide but none of these so call know it alls have any clue about M2 carbines and should STFU and move onward."

Is there a reason for your rude and unnessary comment? While I am sure that you are an expert on every subject that you post a reply on a polite response would have served just as well as your STFU statement. FYI the Chicago regional office of the ATF told me that they were not aware of a transferable M2 slide and did not believe that a full auto rifle could be assembled from this part. Just their opinion based on memory and no research.

Lee Carpentiei made an informative post and provided information in a polite and friendly manor. You should take note for future posts.

My comment was not towards the OP just the idiots and clueless morons that were wasting the OPs time by saying it was impossible for a slide or any other part to be registered. Or they were making stupid posts about selling unregistered slides for the same price. Or the usual ignorant "You will end up in jail if you buy that" crowd. So yes I feel it was necessary, if you don't like it, move on.

BTW contacting regional field offices is a waste of time, most will have no idea on this type of conversion. For information like this you need to contact the ATF headquarters in West Virginia.

Also, in the link it even stated the slide is on a Form 3, which means that it's a NFA registered conversion.

partisan50
February 26, 2014, 20:08
I confess that I'm ignorant on the subject of M1 Carbines and their full auto counterparts. I had never seen or heard of a transferable slide and wanted to be sure that everything was on the up and up and that such a beast could withstand the stress of full auto fire. It's not worth legal trouble or having a useless broken paperweight.

If a transferable slide were to break, would it be possible to repair it? Where would the most stress typically occur?

Thanks to all who have taken the time to reply.

My comment was not towards you. I just wish that people would avoid littering a thread with useless comments if they have no idea on the original question.

The one M2 slide that I saw snap was at the junction where the charging handle section meets the main body. I am not sure of the type of steel used, but I guess that it could be welded.

The M2 carbine was my first MG and they are fun to shoot.

doneill
February 26, 2014, 23:46
Disclaimer: I am not a manufacturer or dealer and am passing on second hand information that a manufacturer told me several years ago. This is my understanding and while I would act on these beliefs if I needed to, that is no guarantee that ATF would agree.

Yes a slide could be repaired. My understanding is that if a crack were to occur it could be welded. if wear were to occurr on a cam surface, that surface could be welded to build it up and remachined. The slide could be heat treated or surface carburized after welding. HOWEVER, these activities MUST NOT alter or move the serial number ALSO it would be illegal to take a new slide and stamp the original serial number on it.

I hope this helps.

Dave O'Neill

djfin
February 27, 2014, 12:08
My comment was not towards the OP just the idiots and clueless morons that were wasting the OPs time by saying it was impossible for a slide or any other part to be registered. Or they were making stupid posts about selling unregistered slides for the same price. Or the usual ignorant "You will end up in jail if you buy that" crowd. So yes I feel it was necessary, if you don't like it, move on.

BTW contacting regional field offices is a waste of time, most will have no idea on this type of conversion. For information like this you need to contact the ATF headquarters in West Virginia.

Also, in the link it even stated the slide is on a Form 3, which means that it's a NFA registered conversion.

Aparently your mother failed in her attempt to teach you manors. Calling someone "idiots and clueless morons" is rude and uncalled for PERIOD.If you disagree with a statement and feel that you have the correct information why do you have to act like a jerk when you post? Does it make you feel better? Are you that insecure that you have to be rude to make you self feel better. I again point out Lee's post. If you cannot play well with others maybe you should "move on"

kev
February 27, 2014, 14:31
I will sell you my M2 slide for the bargain price of $2500.00 and I will throw in free shipping.

Sorry guy,....when you come on a technical forum and post BS out your ass like a clueless moron, perfectly combining 'smart-ass' and 'dumb-ass' in a single post,....don't get all butthurt when someone calls you out on it. Just accept the fact that NFA isn't your area of expertise.

Your post is completely full of condescending bluster and 'wrongness',.........full to the brim. Somebody had to say something.

djfin
February 27, 2014, 18:23
Sorry guy,....when you come on a technical forum and post BS out your ass like a clueless moron, perfectly combining 'smart-ass' and 'dumb-ass' in a single post,....don't get all butthurt when someone calls you out on it. Just accept the fact that NFA isn't your area of expertise.

Your post is completely full of condescending bluster and 'wrongness',.........full to the brim. Somebody had to say something.

Talk about condescending bluster. Another poster with little to no manors. While I did not claim to be an expert I an neither "clueless" or a "Moron". Why do you feel that you have the right to insult anyone. Read my post. I stated that "to the best of my knowledge and experience" No claim of being an "expert" . My other post was made after conflicting results from my web searches and two calls to the real experts. As in the people with the only opinion that counts. The Chicago regional office referred me the WV office at 304-616-4500. These are the people that make the real decisions about NFA items. So far I have received two calls, one yesterday and one today. Both calls were very friendly and polite. Neither agent could answer the question about completing an M2 carbine from a transferable slide. I was told that the agent that I needed to talk to was in court all this week but would call me on monday. Based on that I posted that I did not believe this was legal. If the real experts are not sure of the answer why are you so positive.Are you 100% positive that the powers to be have not changed their minds on this subject ? Because the ATF would never do that right.FYI I do not get "butthurt" Name calling and childish insults are usaully used by weak minded people who have not learned how to play well with others. I stay civil in my posts until I am insulted.why don't you do the same.

gunplumber
February 27, 2014, 19:00
I have registered trip levers. I don't see why registering an op rod would be any different.

Heck, I registered a FAL sear for use in a "semi" 50:63

kev
February 27, 2014, 20:36

In case it didn't sink in the first time, here it is again. Deal with it.

djfin
February 27, 2014, 22:59
As it did sink in the first time, Grow up ,learn to express your self without child insults and most importantly get over yourself. Several people have posted good information without insults. Why can't you

kev
February 27, 2014, 23:42
I can. I did. See post#4. Then you pressed on with the stupid.

djfin
February 28, 2014, 12:50
I can. I did. See post#4. Then you pressed on with the stupid.

Why do you feel the need to insult. You stated your opinion in post #4. Nothing more or less. Your opinion is based on your personal experiences. Rules change all the time with the ATF. I stick by my opinion as posted. After web searches and two conversations with the ATF including the technical branch no one that I talked to so far is sure of the answer. You maybe right and you may be wrong. Until the real experts give me an answer I will continue to have my doubts. And again try to post in a civil manor without insults. Thats what grownups do.

kev
February 28, 2014, 17:51
You seem to be operating under the assumption that we're all equally ignorant about this stuff and stating 'opinions' or venturing 'guesses'. Not so. Some of us work with NFA every day and we happen to know what we're talking about.

Not an insult,.......just a fact.

Sampson1986
February 28, 2014, 20:28
Heck, I registered a FAL sear for use in a "semi" 50:63

Now that sounds like a COOL toy. :biggrin:

partisan50
March 02, 2014, 10:58
Talk about condescending bluster. Another poster with little to no manors. While I did not claim to be an expert I an neither "clueless" or a "Moron". Why do you feel that you have the right to insult anyone. Read my post. I stated that "to the best of my knowledge and experience" No claim of being an "expert" . My other post was made after conflicting results from my web searches and two calls to the real experts. As in the people with the only opinion that counts. The Chicago regional office referred me the WV office at 304-616-4500. These are the people that make the real decisions about NFA items. So far I have received two calls, one yesterday and one today. Both calls were very friendly and polite. Neither agent could answer the question about completing an M2 carbine from a transferable slide. I was told that the agent that I needed to talk to was in court all this week but would call me on Monday. Based on that I posted that I did not believe this was legal. If the real experts are not sure of the answer why are you so positive.Are you 100% positive that the powers to be have not changed their minds on this subject ? Because the ATF would never do that right.FYI I do not get "butthurt" Name calling and childish insults are usually used by weak minded people who have not learned how to play well with others. I stay civil in my posts until I am insulted.why don't you do the same.

Yes, you did state to the best of your knowledge, but apparently you have no idea so you should refrain from posting. And yes we know that you are not an expert, so why don't you stop posting on something that you have proven to be so ignorant about and MOVE ON.

The OP posted a link to a FFL/SOT listing a M2 slide that is registered on a Form 3 and you still insist on wasting the ATFs time trying to verify what is legal and registered.

Let the people that actually own a M2 carbine or have factual knowledge about them respond, while you sit back and learn something instead of littering the thread with useless thoughts and ideas..

Sampson1986
March 03, 2014, 17:44
Well shit... :facepalm:

Looks like I missed the boat.

Which one of you guys bought the slide? :whistling:

djfin
March 05, 2014, 11:17
Yes, you did state to the best of your knowledge, but apparently you have no idea so you should refrain from posting. And yes we know that you are not an expert, so why don't you stop posting on something that you have proven to be so ignorant about and MOVE ON.

The OP posted a link to a FFL/SOT listing a M2 slide that is registered on a Form 3 and you still insist on wasting the ATFs time trying to verify what is legal and registered.

Let the people that actually own a M2 carbine or have factual knowledge about them respond, while you sit back and learn something instead of littering the thread with useless thoughts and ideas..

Finally got the call back this morning from the technical branch of the ATF in WV.The agent that I talked to asked the senior firearms inspector if a transferable M2 carbine can be assembled from a Transferable M2 slide.His answer and the ATF's position is NO. A complete converion kit that was registered can be completed into a transferable M2 not just a slide. A lot of "parts" that got registered back in the day will not be allowed to be made into working firearms in their option. The agent did say that the final decision would be made if and when the proper forms were submitted to the ATF to complete a converion of a M2 carbine, until then it is just the pervailing opinion at the ATF. As the only people who actually "Deal with NFA" on a daily basis and as they are the only ones whose opinion counts for anything other than just their opinion I will take their opinion over the opinions posted here. And FYI while I do not personally own a M2 carbine yet, I do own a few NFA weapons and have owned them for many years. Ownership of an NFA weapon does not make me an expert any more than it makes the posters here experts. It just makes you an owner. As everyone knows things/opinions change at the ATF on a regular basis, what is good to go last month is a illegal this month. Anger management classes and a littlle manors would do some posters a lot of good.

valc67
March 05, 2014, 15:20
I have a registered M2 Carbines. One is a registered receiver, the other a trigger pack. The receiver obviously uses it's serial number, but the trigger pack which consist of the components (7 I believe) to convert an M1 to a M2, just has the trigger frame housing serialized. Packs are better for swapping to host like the Enforcer, or whatever M1 you've laying around. I've seen levers, slides, and trigger frames serialized. I believe that ALL parts from the registered trigger pack are to be used to stay compliant with ATF, BUT the serial number isn't always on every part of the kit:biggrin:. As long as at least one item bears the original serial markings from when it was registered and was done so in accordance with ATF, there should be no issues. Boom, done. FYI, not the bash the ATF, but in my experience, any "grey area" question will usually be "no". If there is no textbook the answer can be read out of, then "no".

partisan50
March 05, 2014, 21:33
I have a registered M2 Carbines. One is a registered receiver, the other a trigger pack. The receiver obviously uses it's serial number, but the trigger pack which consist of the components (7 I believe) to convert an M1 to a M2, just has the trigger frame housing serialized. Packs are better for swapping to host like the Enforcer, or whatever M1 you've laying around. I've seen levers, slides, and trigger frames serialized. I believe that ALL parts from the registered trigger pack are to be used to stay compliant with ATF, BUT the serial number isn't always on every part of the kit:biggrin:. As long as at least one item bears the original serial markings from when it was registered and was done so in accordance with ATF, there should be no issues. Boom, done. FYI, not the bash the ATF, but in my experience, any "grey area" question will usually be "no". If there is no textbook the answer can be read out of, then "no".

Yes, you are correct on the M2 conversion. ANY M2 Carbine NFA registered conversion part, registered on a Form 1, 3, or 4 and the remaining parts are a legal M2 trigger pack conversion.

The post above you is BS or whomever he claims to have talked has absolutely no idea about M2 trigger pack conversions.