PDA

View Full Version : .22 LR ammo recall

MAINER
February 21, 2014, 16:34
Olin Corporation, through its Winchester Division, is recalling two (2) lots of M*22 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Black Copper Plated Round Nose rimfire ammunition.

Symbol Number: S22LRT
Lot Numbers: GD42L and GD52L

Winchester has determined the above lots of 22 Long Rifle rimfire ammunition may contain double powder charges. Ammunition with double powder charges may subject the shooter or bystanders to a risk of serious personal injury and/or death, or cause firearm damage, rendering the firearm inoperable.

You mean they have actually been selling the stuff? :uhoh: I haven't seen a box of 22 ammo for sale in a coon dog's age! :redface:

IF I had this ammo, I'd just run it thru my Ruger sixgun. Be kind of fun to have some snappy ammo. :tongue:

catmguy445
February 21, 2014, 17:29
Mainer, I'm with you. I haven't seen any of this stuff anywhere for over a year now. Who are they recalling it FROM? It darn sure isn't me.

Bubacus
February 21, 2014, 20:42
I guess the hoarders who hit WalMart when new shipments come in will have to dig through their piles of what they think is gold to pick out these turds.

357ross
February 21, 2014, 21:06
Wouldn't a double charge fill a .22lr case to overflowing, thus preventing a bullet from seating? I thought .22lr was pretty much as full of powder as it could be already. I'm with MAINER, I'd just enjoy it.

D P Six
February 21, 2014, 23:49
If Winchester was double charging some of their 22lr's they must have been getting the powder out of the bricks of Winchester T22 Lead Round Nose I recently acquired. All of our three S&W Model 41's would shoot one and then jam, shoot one and jam using the T22's. The Winchesters would even cause malfunctions in a Ruger 10/22 and that takes some doing. Guess the manufacturer forgot that you need to put adequate powder in the cases to make them work.

catmguy445
February 22, 2014, 11:29
Wouldn't a double charge fill a .22lr case to overflowing, thus preventing a bullet from seating? I thought .22lr was pretty much as full of powder as it could be already. I'm with MAINER, I'd just enjoy it.

Would you call that a .22LR+P? Might be a market there. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Stranger
February 22, 2014, 11:50
Would you call that a .22LR+P? Might be a market there. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think your right on the money.

Has anyone actually blown up a 22LR with an overcharge? I haven't ever heard of such a thing.

If you look at the barrel on the Ruger 10/22 there is a shit load of metal surrounding that cartridge. A .308 barrel with the same metal in it would have a three inch diameter.

Guy-epic
February 22, 2014, 12:43

I think I am safe I can find those numbers any where on my box. What would you guys do? Dang I got it for $25 so far it has shot fine

MAINER
February 22, 2014, 15:09
I'm assuming you meant can't find numbers?

Have you looked on the inside of the box flaps?

I'd shoot it! May want to keep it away from an expensive target pistol, but it isn't going to hurt a Ruger Single Action or a Bolt rifle.

Guy-epic
February 22, 2014, 15:57
I'm assuming you meant can't find numbers?

Have you looked on the inside of the box flaps?

I'd shoot it! May want to keep it away from an expensive target pistol, but it isn't going to hurt a Ruger Single Action or a Bolt rifle.

I ended up finding the numbers and I am all good.

.30-06
February 22, 2014, 23:52
I guess the hoarders who hit WalMart when new shipments come in will have to dig through their piles of what they think is gold to pick out these turds.

Let em' blow themselves up, maybe then there will be ammo for the rest of us to buy...

okiefarmer
February 23, 2014, 01:21
Wouldn't this just be 22 Magnum at 22 L.R. prices? :wink::wink:

Back in the day, that would have been a hell of a deal. And I'm in the sam camp as most here. Shoot it in a wheel gun before returning it.

bubbagump
February 24, 2014, 14:28
Yeah. Kinda hard to believe you could actually fit enough powder in a .22 case to blow a gun up. Might split a case and vent a little gas maybe ...

shlomo
February 24, 2014, 16:19
Ages ago, I had a crapped-up beater of a Marlin 81, and used it to try experiments regarding barrel obstructions and overcharges. I had just finished reading Hatcher on the subject in Hatcher's Notebook. So sue me.

Did a whole bunch of stuff, like pulling bullets and filling the case all the way to the top (could be wrong, but my recollection is that I could get a double charge and a bit more in the case), and firing rounds with bullets in the bore (up to three at a time) in various locations.

Nothing very dramatic happened with firing normal rounds with a bullet in the barrel. No rings produced in the bore or anything.

As I recall, it took a double charge and an obstruction to blow a cartridge head off at the rim, but no real damage was done to the gun. I finally packed about 2 1/2 charges in a case and put three bullets in the bore about two inches ahead of the chamber. THAT did it. It split the barrel at the location of the bullets in the bore, blew the head of the case, the extractor hook off the bolt, and shattered the stock.

ALL FAL
February 24, 2014, 17:22
I had a double charged STINGER Blow up a tack driving Mossberg once, along with splitting the stock from forend to the trigger guard , it took some hearing from my left ear.

moonbat60
March 03, 2014, 17:42
I bet Winchester could still sell it as .22LR +P :rofl:

Shame on them for not doing things right.

Timber Wolf
March 04, 2014, 16:06
Ages ago, I had a crapped-up beater of a Marlin 81, and used it to try experiments regarding barrel obstructions and overcharges.

Note to self, NEVER buy a .22 from shlomo.:wink:

shlomo
March 04, 2014, 16:08
Note to self, NEVER buy a .22 from shlomo.:wink:

At least you'd know it was proof-tested. :biggrin:

Wildcat
March 19, 2014, 17:53
Given the limited powder capacity, its more likely that a dangerous situation would occur if the shells had excess priming compound.