PDA

View Full Version : VZ58 Rocks!

Airacuda
February 17, 2014, 15:24
I asked the Wife for a VZ from AIM earlier this month for my Birthday on the 25th. She got it and I have 400 rounds thru it now. It is my new favorite 7.62x39 Rifle.
Lighter than an AK, seems to be less recoil, simple design and so far reliable. The ergo's are similar to a shotgun IMO. I have no sights on my Shotguns and shoot skeet and 5 stand. The VZ which I was going to mount a red dot on...does not need it. My almost 52 yr old eyes have no issues at 200 yards and closer with the hooded front post. Swing it up till the stock bites into your cheek and your ON!
$520 shipped with 5 mags, bayonet, sling and mag pouch. I'm happy with that.
If anyone has some VZ mags lying around you want to part with please send me a PM.

DYNOMIKE
February 17, 2014, 20:22
The VZ-58 is a great battle rifle and IMHO underappreciated by many..
I love mine but don't shoot it as much as I should, think I'll be sure to bring it next range trip..

Mags are still out there and I "may" know where to find a couple.. I'll look into that in the next couple days..

Dirt1042
February 18, 2014, 02:51
https://www.apexgunparts.com/index.php/cPath/63

http://www.clearviewinvest.com/vz58leathermagpouchand430rd762x39magazines.aspx

http://www.zahal.org/products/sa-vz-58-75-round-drum-magazine1?path_parent=218295

http://centerfiresystems.com/pkg-vz58.aspx

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=394229403

Airacuda
February 18, 2014, 13:14
Thanks

Guy-epic
February 18, 2014, 16:09
I asked the Wife for a VZ from AIM earlier this month for my Birthday on the 25th. She got it and I have 400 rounds thru it now. It is my new favorite 7.62x39 Rifle.
Lighter than an AK, seems to be less recoil, simple design and so far reliable. The ergo's are similar to a shotgun IMO. I have no sights on my Shotguns and shoot skeet and 5 stand. The VZ which I was going to mount a red dot on...does not need it. My almost 52 yr old eyes have no issues at 200 yards and closer with the hooded front post. Swing it up till the stock bites into your cheek and your ON!
$520 shipped with 5 mags, bayonet, sling and mag pouch. I'm happy with that.
If anyone has some VZ mags lying around you want to part with please send me a PM.

Wow great price I have seen these for a lot more $$$$ my question is they are configured with a single stack 10 round mag to get them in the USA so I have read. Did they open it up like some of the AK's to get a double wide 30 round mag to fit? And pics please I kinda want one I wish they took ak mags it would be a slam dunk to get one if they did.

12v71
February 18, 2014, 18:57
Wow great price I have seen these for a lot more $$$$ my question is they are configured with a single stack 10 round mag to get them in the USA so I have read. Did they open it up like some of the AK's to get a double wide 30 round mag to fit? And pics please I kinda want one I wish they took ak mags it would be a slam dunk to get one if they did.
Nope. they take the standard 30 round aluminum VZ mag.

jam762
February 18, 2014, 20:58
Nope. they take the standard 30 round aluminum VZ mag.

But some modification may be needed to the locking tab. I've had to file all of my locking tabs on all my mags to lock in. Note that this is just my experience and others may differ.

12v71
February 18, 2014, 21:27
But some modification may be needed to the locking tab. I've had to file all of my locking tabs on all my mags to lock in. Note that this is just my experience and others may differ.
Both mine work just fine with surplus mags... all 12? of them. I got a bunch from J and G a year or 2 ago, and more from another dealer. You might have an out of spec catch?:eek:

stringfellow1221
February 23, 2014, 21:33
I have both a CAI VZ-2008 and a Czechpoint VZ-58 Ive never had an issue with either taking surplus mags

Airacuda
March 10, 2014, 09:19
Have 900 thru mine now. No issues with mags. I picked up some extras and they work good as well.

Airacuda
March 21, 2014, 15:29
These are back in stock at AIM.

DYNOMIKE
March 22, 2014, 05:51
These are back in stock at AIM.

Just getting ready to post that info....
I don't need any but man $15.00 ea is tough to pass up.. :eek:

justashooter
March 23, 2014, 10:51
bought a dozen VZ58 mags (most unissued) with pouch out of the grab bag bin in a small shop in near portland for $8 each last week. got a VZ 58 folder for $10, a full fixed stock furniture set with all hardware for $60, and a Kvar AK stock with hardware for $5. blind hogs and acorns ya know. the guy told me it was all for the AK74 type...

12v71
March 23, 2014, 12:24
Nice score!:beer:

SPEEDGUNNER
March 24, 2014, 20:08
OK, after a couple of weeks of research and shopping around on the 'net I finally decided on what I wanted - I bought one of the Century VZ58's from AIM. They were sold out when we first started the discussion, but I signed up for notification when they were in stock and darn if I didn't get an e-mail about a week later. I had my FFL order on a Monday, and he had it Friday. I picked it up, put the sling on and took it to the range and ran a quick 50rds through it without a blip. I must say I am impressed. So impressed, I think I might save up and buy one of the original all Czech VZ's from Czechpoint when they have them back in stock.

For a folding stock, no frills, Century build I have to say I am impressed. It is easy to shoot and surprisingly accurate. Shoots a bit to the right, but overall it puts each bullet on top of the last one, tight groups all. I plan to get a fixed stock and one of the original muzzle brakes at some point. I am happy with my choice for my first AK type 7.62X39 platform. Everybody should have one.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3820060&posted=1#post3820060

Any idea how to adjust the sight? My rifle groups fist size holes, but always just a tad to the right of the bull. Is that me, or the rifle? My front sight post looks like it may be turned a little, does that affect aim?

Thanks.

Airacuda
March 27, 2014, 21:47
an AK front sight adjustment tool will work on the VZ's and will get you on target. I put 150 through my new VZ08 today. I have 2 now. Got rid of an AR and replaced it with 2 of these. :D

SPEEDGUNNER
May 20, 2014, 10:17
Can anyone tell me from experience if the Maglula AK mag loader will also work with the VZ58 mags?

Diogenes
May 20, 2014, 21:26
They are great rifles. I picked up a folding stock D-tech a few years ago for a song. Thing runs spectacularly with almost everything I've fed it*.

The real beauty of these guns is the way the gas system dumps spent powder. It blows it all out from under the top foregrip. It makes your off hand all sooty, but lleaves the action perfectly clean.

When i first got it I ran an experiment with it. I ran over 1500 rnds of nasty tula and Wolf through it without cleaning or lubing. It ran like a champ. But what was really surprising was that when I DID finally break down and clean it, when I opened it up, the action was clean enough to eat out of. The handguard was filthy, but the action was spotless and still lightly oiled.

Hint: that folding stock can take a bite out of your cheek if you're not careful. I fixed this with a 10-12" length of pipe insulation. Wrapped it around the I-beam type wire stock, then wrapped that tight with bicycle handlebar grip tape. It no longer bites and gives a good cheek weld for irons and low mounted optics.

*I once tried Wolf 'polyformance' ammo, and could not get more than 3 consecutive shots without ftf. I suspected the polymer babypowder like coating. I tumbled them in media and they ran better, but never great.

armoredman
May 22, 2014, 13:38
The cheek riser folding stock from Zahal works much better than the milspec version.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/vz-58%20targets%20and%20pics/travelcompanion.jpg (http://s16.photobucket.com/user/armoredman/media/vz-58%20targets%20and%20pics/travelcompanion.jpg.html)

CzechpointUSA expects the 7.62x39mm rifles to be back in stock by the end of June...very popular rifles.

Airacuda
May 27, 2014, 15:57
Have almost 2k thru my 1st and 900 thru the second VZ08. Added the NEA upper hand guard with TRS-25 red dot for nice co witness. Made consistent hits out to 325yards so far. Very happy with this rifle.

Trypcil
August 12, 2014, 19:30
VZ2008 - just got it - and what a neat rifle, folding stock variety from century(?) - because, it was only 417.50 to the ffl, and runs so far, as a real champ. Gritty initially but a strip down and a thorough massaging, and much cycling.... anyway no fail to fire ,or anything untoward, so far!

Canuckienns
September 02, 2014, 05:20
Do not post much on this site, but I must add that the VZ2008 is a great little rifle and at the now price of $399 is a gift from god. I have owned many VZ machine and sub machine guns in another world, I can attest that they are some of the finest weapons ever produced period. World class, no more said.