PDA

View Full Version : P226 slide to frame fit

woodstock31
February 13, 2014, 15:39
I was checking out a friends P226 today. He wants to sell it and I have never owned one so I went to check it out. There seems to be a lot of slop between the slide and frame. The gun rattles when you shake it. He said he has shot it maybe 300 rounds worth and bought it used. Is this normal? Any concerns with shooting it further? I guess what I'm wondering is, how loose is too loose? Thanks?

Bruce Allen
February 14, 2014, 13:46
Mine rattles when shaken.
I have fired thousands of rounds thru it.

My suggestion to you as to how much is too much is take it out and test fire it.
The accuracy will tell.

Sigs are quite accurate so your expectations should be quite high.

kev
February 14, 2014, 17:03
My 226 doesn't rattle. I can feel just a slight movement side to side if I grip the slide and yank on it. My 220 has no movement at all,......rock solid. Both are W German made police trades and appear to have had a lot of carry and probably quite a few rounds through them. I haven't heard anything particularly good about the later US made SIGs,.......what's the vintage of your friend's 226?

Best to check it out with some live fire. Pistols can be pretty sloppy and still be minute of pie plate. If that's good enough then it's good enough, but if you need better than that then you'll need to see what it'll actually do. Unless it's scary loose I bet it'll shoot just fine.

Bruce Allen
February 14, 2014, 23:49
Check out this website:

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/7320040262

It provides manufacture dates by serial number and by date codes Sig uses and you can figure any Sig manufacture date.. it is really helpful.

justashooter
February 15, 2014, 00:56
my w german sig has no rattle at all.

woodstock31
February 15, 2014, 15:24
My 226 doesn't rattle. I can feel just a slight movement side to side if I grip the slide and yank on it. My 220 has no movement at all,......rock solid. Both are W German made police trades and appear to have had a lot of carry and probably quite a few rounds through them. I haven't heard anything particularly good about the later US made SIGs,.......what's the vintage of your friend's 226?

Best to check it out with some live fire. Pistols can be pretty sloppy and still be minute of pie plate. If that's good enough then it's good enough, but if you need better than that then you'll need to see what it'll actually do. Unless it's scary loose I bet it'll shoot just fine.

U669---- so 2003ish? I will try to test fire it.

gordonm1
February 16, 2014, 20:33
I've read that SIG's accuracy comes from barrel fit to the upper slide and slide to frame fit means little. I have a few SIG's and appreciate when slide to frame fit is tight but it is not supposed to be a deal killer. Try to shoot it for a test drive.

Bruce Allen
February 21, 2014, 11:57
Hey Woodstock.. have you had a chance to test fire that pistol?

hongkong3
February 28, 2014, 10:39
I have a older West German 228 with 1000's of rounds through it, it's a rattle trap but still shoots like new. The funny thing I noticed is that the aluminum frame looks brand new without any wear marks in the frame grooves and bearing surfaces, but the steel slide shows signs of wear in the surfaces that contact the aluminum frame, go figure.......