PDA

View Full Version : how old?

merle516
February 12, 2014, 01:24
Does anyone remember the "Soldier of Fortune" magazine Glock test way back in the 80's? They received a Glock for a test, laughed at the "plastic gun" and chunked it into a mud puddle at the entrance of the range. All day vehicles drove over the gun. At the end of the day, they rinsed off the pistol and fired about 1000 rounds though it. No damage and they loved the accuracy. Some converts were made that day. Just an interesting side note to the storied history of the Glock. Yes, I am THAT old.:uhoh:

grumpy1
February 13, 2014, 18:26
I also remember that issue of SOF and being a young pup at the time, I was amazed at the having 17 rounds on the mag. I don't remember much else about the article or the rest of the magazine. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

HighRatMaster
February 13, 2014, 18:34
I seem to remember the very first Glocks were green. Everybody knew a plastic gun made by a company that made plastic shovels for the kraut army would never go anywhere.

MACV
February 13, 2014, 21:23
For years I wouldn't own a Glock. Most of my buddies had them but they didn't appeal to me. Got my first one (G22) in 1995. Now I have a few of them. Damned dependable pistol. And the G34 is just crazy accurate.

FUUN063
February 24, 2014, 23:52
Seems like a remember something along that line. My shootin' buddy went to SOF matches, winning in some categories. I'll ask him when I get a chance. Oh yeah, my good friend at the time purchased an early Glock and seems like it was around 1985 or so. My BIL purchased it shortly afterwards and still has it.

Leland

STGThndr
February 25, 2014, 08:30
Hey I recently bought a lightly used Glock .45 model 21. It was a former police pistol and it came in the original case with paper work and magazines. It really does look "new" inside and out. Holds 13 rounds of .45ACP, just like my HiPower- but it lacks the sleek lines of the Browning pistol. And it does feel a bit bulky at the waist, possibly on account of the extra rounds in the mag. My Glock came with glow-in-the-dark sights. I dunno if the sights are on all production or were an add on. I like it OK BUT it cant compete with my Combat Commander for looks, and "ease" of carry....
The main things I have issue with- there are no positive safeties and the polygon barrel
which cannot allow the use of lead bullets. I dunno about you guys, but I like to reload 230 grain lead bullets for plinkin and saving money. BUT, no lead, only jacketed bullets. There is cure- getting a new barrel with cut rifling but they run $125 to be installed by a smith.
I know most of the Colt CC inside and out. Love that. Not ready to to do this with a Glock!

lowprone
February 25, 2014, 17:09
Interesting how SOF was and is on the cutting edge of firearms innovation,
Read about a HK-91, FAL, and Steyr SSG, in SOF, they are all in the safe.

albacore
February 25, 2014, 18:44
Yep, I'm old enough to remember the days. Quite the variety of opinions when introduced. I was a convert after a friend handed his to me at the range. Everyone has an opinion when you talk Glock...I still have my first one!

BUFF
February 26, 2014, 04:43
I bought the first Glock I saw for sale, a Model 17, in the mid- to late-1980's. I took it home, took it apart to see how it worked and was impressed with it's simplicity. It seemed like just the kind of handgun an intelligent, successful shovel maker would design.

I had read the torture tests stories and seen some videos. I decided to perform my own.

I cleaned and lubed my new M-17 and decided to shoot it until it started to choke or broke. I found it didn't like the aluminum cased Blazer ammo (the aluminum casing didn't slide well on the Glock feed lips until CCI coated them with something), so I didn't shoot any more of that. I shot everything else I could find and a lot of my handloads. Rarely, I gave the 'rails' and slide a shot of spray lube with the slide locked back, and would wipe the carbon fouling off of the exterior of the gun occasionally.

20-something years later, I still haven't cleaned it again and except for the early Blazers, it has feed anything I put through it. Lots of friends have borrowed it, a couple took LEO firearms training courses with it waiting for their ordered guns to come in, but nobody else had any stoppages either.

I wish I had kept track of the round count. Easily between 7,500 and 10,000 rounds. Nothing's worn, nothing's broken, just filthy. Kind of the Glock chapter of "Ol' Dirty."

So, what do I carry to work every day on my belt?

A Colt of 1911 persuasion of some type.

The Glock is a pretty great handgun. Far from perfection, but if it fits your hands, it can be a great choice.

Timber Wolf
February 26, 2014, 08:24
Everyone has an opinion when you talk Glock...I still have my first one!

I still have my first one to. An old "Gen 1" G20 I am too stubborn to get rid of even though it is too big for me to shoot well. Several other Glocks have come and gone but the only other one I still have is an OK Gen 3 G23 I bought just to have a pistol that takes the same mag as a .40 KelTec Sub2K I have that I REALLY like. If the KelTec took the XDm mag the G23 would be gone too.:wink:

tac-40
February 26, 2014, 10:12
STGThndr, I got around the FMJ problem by loading the copper plated bullets. They were just a tad more than pure lead but way less than the jacketed ones. No problems at all through my 1st Gen M22.

grumpy1
February 26, 2014, 14:36
It was a former police pistol and
which cannot allow the use of lead bullets. I dunno about you guys, but I like to reload 230 grain lead bullets for plinkin and saving money. BUT, no lead, only jacketed bullets. There is cure- getting a new barrel with cut rifling but they run $125 to be installed by a smith.
I know most of the Colt CC inside and out. Love that. Not ready to to do this with a Glock!

well most all of the cut rifle barrels for Glocks are drop in and require no smithing at all. Second YOU can shoot lead rounds in your Glock all you have to do is shoot a few jacketed bullets every hundred rounds. It also shouldn't be a big problem with shooting 230 gr 45ACP rounds as they shouldn't be leaded the barrel. It is a bigger problem with 9mm, 40, 10 & 357 Sig as they push the bullet faster which leaves more lead in the barrel.

The big issue comes when you shoot lots of lead rounds without properly cleaning and removing the lead and then shoot jacketed bullets, as there could be a pressure spike.

Also Mr. Glock started out making knives. From what I was told in my Glock armors course Glock makes some pretty mean shower curtain rings too over in Europe.

Also, Tac-40 is correct with the shoot of plated bullets, they work just like jacketed bullets. I've put somewhere north of 5,000 rounds of Berry's plated bullets through my G20 without any problem. I've also put somewhere north of 2,000 rounds of hard cast lead rounds through my G22 with the jacket bullet chasers every 100 rounds or so. My G22 has had over 15k rounds through it. Most of the lead rounds where early on. I know I loaded 5k of 40 s&w with Berry's bullets one weekend and have shoot them all up.

hagar
February 26, 2014, 15:36
The first Glock I shot around 1992, an early G19, could not hit the broadside of a barn. At 10 yards it would group about 8-10 inches. That did not really endear me to them, not sure if there was something wrong with the pistol, because back then I could shoot, not in Slocat's league (hell, nobody on this board is) but pretty good.

First one I bought was a G20 because I absolutely had to have a 10mm! This one could shoot, still think it is my most accurate Glock, it will outshoot my G20 SF I bought 2 or 3 years ago. I added a G26 not long after the G20, then a G23 that I did not like much and sold. Picked up a 3rd gen G19 which shoot pretty good, but (gasp!!:biggrin:) not as good as my Sigma VE. Those Sigmas get no respect, but they can shoot! Not talking 5-10 yards, my Sigma at 50 yards shoots a better group than the G19 at 25.. :tinfoilhat:

As for knives, the Crock knife is just that, a crock of shyte. They should stick to pistols!

My next Glock may be a G42, when the price comes down to around $400.

I lived and breathed SOF until the late 80's, then I just lost interest. Maybe I should have kept up my subscription.

Beryl
February 26, 2014, 18:14
I remember that. I also remember the Chuck Taylor 1,000,000 round test on a Gen 1 model 17. I didn't much care for the first Glock 17's with the smooth grips. After the Gen 2came out with the increased stippling and the grenade front and back straps, I bought a 17 and a 20.

FALonious
February 28, 2014, 20:41
If you gents find what issue the test was in, I'll see if I have it....I kept all of mine .......got to be 10 years worth anyway. Bet I have it.

Hebrew Battle Rifle
March 01, 2014, 20:57
I still own mt first Glock. It is a G27 .40S&W compact model. I want to hate it, but I just can't. It does everything that I want a pistol to do and it does it well. I am now and forever will be a disciple of JMB, but I really do like my little plastic ankle biter.

VALMET
March 04, 2014, 19:46
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Glock fan and have been since the late-90s. I've put around 20k rounds thru mine all together. And although they are hideously ugly and QC has slipped slightly in the past few years Glocks are still my favorite handguns. That isn't to say I don't have an affinity for others (1911s, S&W wheelguns, etc)

slammer51
March 22, 2014, 11:37
Hey I recently bought a lightly used Glock .45 model 21. It was a former police pistol and it came in the original case with paper work and magazines. It really does look "new" inside and out. Holds 13 rounds of .45ACP, just like my HiPower- but it lacks the sleek lines of the Browning pistol. And it does feel a bit bulky at the waist, possibly on account of the extra rounds in the mag. My Glock came with glow-in-the-dark sights. I dunno if the sights are on all production or were an add on. I like it OK BUT it cant compete with my Combat Commander for looks, and "ease" of carry....
The main things I have issue with- there are no positive safeties and the polygon barrel

Go to Lone Wolf.com buy a drop in barrel[no smithing required] barrel is more accurate than original, and eats anything you want to put through it.
then go to the Glock store.com by the DVD on smithing he glock you can do EVERYTHING yourself. That's the beauty of Glocks you can do as little or as much as you want. I striped mine down to a bare lower and rebuilt it as a semi-race gun for daily carry and for local IDPA competition.
Mine is a Glock 30/45APC sub compact using 10 rd mags for daily carry and Glock 21 13rd mags for home defense and and competition giving me 14 rds in a subcompact pistol. That's the other advantage of Glocks a lot of the mags are interchangeable. You really can't beat their engineering and accuracy
especially with the lone wolf barrel. Fellow competitors are amazed that I can shoot as well as them with a 3.5 in barreled gun vs their 5in full race 1911's.
Hope this helps.