PDA

View Full Version : a $ 1000 colt trooper ???

detroit360
February 11, 2014, 07:21
I have a 1966 colt trooper 6 inch barrel in like new condition. looking at gunbroker they are going for anywhere from $ 1000 to as high as $1700 bucks, what do you all think about those prices??

RomanLeaderII
February 11, 2014, 07:34
Hard to say. Seems like a revolver like the Trooper is a collectors favorite. Family used to own one, but it had a heavy trigger and the lockwork was not like a Python. I think revolvers like concealable J frames and large bore are the only ones in greater demand. The market at those prices is geared to the collector.

Timber Wolf
February 11, 2014, 08:23
Those prices are ridiculous, is what I think. Colt revolvers have just gotten nuts and priced all out of proportion to value. As have some S&W and Ruger revolvers as well, but it seems to be pretty much all Colts. It may be because Pythons have reached the stratosphere so guys are buying, and bidding up, “lessor” Colts instead. A rising tide lifts all ships I suppose. I want a few more Colts but it is not looking good for me to have them. I passed on a nice snubby Lawman at a gunshow a couple of years back for $500. Saw one on GB the other day with a $925 bid, and it did not make the reserve! I like Colts as much or more than the next guy, but my snub 686+ is a "better" carry revo, and a new Ruger GP100 will outlast all of the others combined shooting heavy loads.

Nomad, 2nd
February 11, 2014, 08:31
Are they selling for that, or priced for that?

detroit360
February 11, 2014, 08:45
The early troopers have the python inards from every thing Ive read, mine has the smoothest action you can have, and a hair trigger, and I mean hair, Idont really know if there selling for that or not , check out gunbroker

kev
February 11, 2014, 11:42
Colt people are stupid. There's no other explanation. That pony sucks in idiots like nothing else in the gun world.

S&W makes a much better revolver, but even those are horribly over-priced right now. Colts for twice the price? No thanks. I have to find Smiths at half price to be the least bit interested. Colts would need to be ten cents on the dollar. well, realistically maybe twenty cents.

My only Colt revolver is a Trooper. Just looked it up in my books and I bought it from another dealer for $69 in 2004. Yes, that was my kind of 'deal', but I'd be very hard pressed to give $250 for it today. The S&W 64 in the pic was purchased for $225 delivered off of gunbroker just a few months ago and I'd rather have it than two of the Troopers. The Ruger cost me a hundred, but it's been refinished since. They're all 'shooter' grade but none would be worth a grand if brand new in the box IMHO,.....least of all the Trooper.

detroit360
February 11, 2014, 13:54
well I have to get my hands on a smith &wesson and check them out, from what your saying about them it must be a true piece of mechanical wizardry as I cant see how one could produce a revolver that is so superior to this 1966 colt trooper that its a miracle that colt sold any revolvers at all, or there are a lot of unwitting gun purchasers out and about who don't know what the difference is between a truly magnificent revolver and a complete piece of shit.

kev
February 11, 2014, 15:46
No, you seem to have a pretty good handle on it.

I didn't say the Trooper(or any Colt revolver)was a POS, least of all YOUR Colt Trooper which sounds very nice. I said that S&W made a much better revolver and that Smiths are less ridiculously overpriced than the Colts are. Or at least that's what I intended to say.

I've had enough Colts to be totally unimpressed with them. Python, Officer's Match, Cobra and Agent. The Trooper is the only one I've kept and that only because it was so cheap,........and until now I didn't think anyone would trade me a beat up Smith for it. Maybe I need to reconsider. My Trooper also has a very light single-action pull, but the double-action is typical Colt,.......smooth, but heavy and it stacks 'funny' and isn't very shootable. It also handles poorly,.....sharp edges where there shouldn't be any and a poor grip to trigger geometry,.....at least for my hand. The original wood stocks were horrible,....the Pachmayrs are better but they can only do so much.

All that aside, you asked what we thought of the prices you listed. I think they're insane and I blame it on the insanity of Colt people.

detroit360
February 11, 2014, 16:18
O.K. I agree the wood grips suck, but look great, I was so upset by some of remarks that I drove my cycle up to a very knowledgeable gun smith, a old timer that really knows his revolvers, and he said , and I quote " take a colt out the box new , and a smith out of the box new and the smith will need work on the action to be as good as the colt. Now before you get your dander up he also said that colt and smith have runs where for a number of years that the quality control aint worth a crap, but as far ashe was concerned there about equal as far as revolvers go. He said that some people love smiths and some people love colts, but the colt name usually commands a higher price, and that probably pisses off some smith fans, for what its worth !?

FUUN063
February 11, 2014, 17:01
As far as what I think, the prices are ridiculous. They are just not worth that much. None of them are, not even the Pythons. I've had them and still have some, they're not worth it. I have Colt's and I have Smith's. IT is of my humble opinion that the Smith and Wesson is better built and feels/shoots better. This is what I've found and what others I shoot with have found. Although, you can ask any price that you want, it's just what someone, somewhere will pay. Idiots abound.

Leland:biggrin:

detroit360
February 11, 2014, 17:12
I respect your opinion, my question was, if that was what the troopers of the right sort were going for, not whether they were worth it. I wouldn't pay that much either, but if I was to sell mine Im not going to sell it for $200 bucks if some one was willing to pay $1000, that was what I was trying to get at.

Wildcat
February 11, 2014, 21:56
How long has it been since Colt made a double action revolver?
The odds that Colt will ever make another DA revolver?

A better question may be how many are available vs the number of people who want one. The first figure is declining. Dunno about the second part of the equation.

bouncer50
February 12, 2014, 07:18
I have a couple of python and a 1972 made trooper. I fact i have 5 colt pistol and seven S&W and quite a few rugers. In my humble opinion the S&W L-frame is my top choice. I have very high opinion of rugers to. Would i pay 1000 plus dollars for a colt in todays prices HELL NO. :eek: Invester should have bought colts 15 years ago went you could buy them cheap.:?

Retired Bum
February 12, 2014, 20:52
I remember going to a local gun show in 2000 and one Colt collector was selling off his DA revolvers. Pythons, Troopers, Diamondbacks, Official Polices, Police Positives and PP Specials, Detective Specials, and the LW Cobras. The prices weren't cheap but they weren't out of sight like today.

I looked over the collection and I only enough cash on hand to buy one piece. I walked away with a 1935 nickel plated Police Positive Special chambered for the .38 Spl. This PPS was absolutely beautiful and easily rated at 98 percent. I recall I paid $350 for it OTD because it was a private sale. Not a give away but I didn't quibble about the price. I wonder what it is worth today? Probably north of $500 but that is just a S.W.A.G. on my part.....

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Nomad, 2nd
February 12, 2014, 22:44
I picked up a 6 inch trooper Mk III about 2 years ago for $350
I couldn't resist since it was in .22...

Might have to see what I can get for it, haven't even shot it since it didn't have a drag line...

Timber Wolf
February 13, 2014, 08:29
Times they are a-changing. A few years back I won a nice honest old Official Police for $210 or some such at a local auction. Everybody else was too busy waiting to bid up a beat S&W Model 10 to $275. I still don't get that one. I have a pretty slick "shooter grade" (the previous owner actually carried and shot it) 4" Python and to be honest I would just as soon shoot one of my Official Polices, they are just as smooth. I also have a Officer's Model Match .38 that is nice, but I actually shoot my S&W Model 14.:rofl:

jugrunner
February 13, 2014, 16:05
I bought this one awhile back ... nowhere near $1000 ...

it ain't no "Smith" ... never will be !! ... I'd damn sure trade it for my old S&W 14 that I lost a few yrs back ... :sad:

Timber Wolf ... wanna trade ... ???

http://i59.tinypic.com/34dg6ft.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/1z5p16a.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/28i7wo3.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/2d7g6x1.jpg

Timber Wolf ... I'll throw in a nice sheep ... ???

http://i61.tinypic.com/2j3h021.jpg

brunop
February 14, 2014, 02:27
:rofl:

Jugsy FTW!

How you doin', man?

SWOHFAL
February 14, 2014, 02:30
I might pay out the ass for a Python, but not for the second team.

Timber Wolf
February 14, 2014, 08:23
I bought this one awhile back ... nowhere near $1000 ...

it ain't no "Smith" ... never will be !! ... I'd damn sure trade it for my old S&W 14 that I lost a few yrs back ... :sad:

Timber Wolf ... wanna trade ... ???
Timber Wolf ... I'll throw in a nice sheep ... ???

http://i61.tinypic.com/2j3h021.jpg

Humm, she is right purtty, and the nights are long and cold this time of year. I think it is something about her eyes that are particularly attractive.:love: It is a mighty tempting offer to this old country boy with the boot and all but I better pass, thanks for the offer though.:smile:

jugrunner
February 14, 2014, 15:10
:rofl:

Jugsy FTW!

How you doin', man?

doin' good mang ... :biggrin: ... you ... ??? ...

have one prob. tho ... Andy was gonna take this sheep off my hands ... now he's quit responding to my PMs ... this thing is eating my yard up ... chits everywhere ... worse than the dog next door ... :( ... Timber Wolf is out on the trade ...

will you stop by and pick this thing up on your way back from Stimpy's shoot ... ??? ... I'll owe ya one ... !!! ... or 2 ... :wink: ... she's clean and does NOT bite ... :devil: ... that's according to the guy next door ... :angel:

February 14, 2014, 18:46
colts are worth it. my python makes any s-w look rather lame. there will be no more new pythons. nuff said. besides, it's hell on lizards.

K. Funk
February 14, 2014, 19:37
Looking at the closed auctions on GB, most Troopers are selling in the 450-650 range. If near mint with box and all accessories, you see a few selling in the 1000-1200 range. Nickel seems to add a premium.

krf

jugrunner
February 14, 2014, 20:41
colts are worth it. my python makes any s-w look rather lame. there will be no more new pythons. nuff said. besides, it's hell on lizards.

ain't done it ... :p ... looks don't count ... what counts is when you squeeze that trigger and the glass rod breaks ... :wink: ... Colt's can't do it ... not factory anyway ... never do it double action ... loads up funny on double action ... :confused:

you'd think an expensive pistol like a Colt would have a better trigger ...

I wouldn't take nutin' for my Colt 1911's ... as I've said before, their wheelguns leave something to be desired when compared to a 50's/60's era Smith & Wesson ...

'nuff said ...

Nomad, 2nd
February 14, 2014, 22:13

Meh. I had a '72, 6" python.

My 66 is a better gun, and they aren't making Smith's like that anymore either...

Wildcat
February 15, 2014, 03:17
my python makes any s-w look rather lame. .

Well, sitting still maybe, up until an on-the-clock reload is required. The Colt is slow enough in the pits that it could get lapped by S$W or Ruger. :biggrin:

DYNOMIKE
February 26, 2014, 14:25
I've got the Colt Trooper that belonged to my Pops as well as the original box it came in when he bought it.. Still has the price on it but I don't remember exactly what it was? Need to get that out and look at the year and price just for shits and grins... Thinking it's $75.00?

Regardless Pops shot the gun quite a bit over the years and it is not only very smooth but also accurate.. Don't know that I like it more then some other wheel guns I own but I do like it quite a bit.. Guess maybe a little more so since it belonged to my Pops...

At the shop we have bought and sold a few real nice Pythons and they do indeed bring a premium.. I've mentioned this before but believe it or not the TV Series WALKING DEAD has added fuel to the fire on these guns and current pricing as one of the main characters in the show carries a PYTHON..

Timber Wolf
February 27, 2014, 09:08
TV Series WALKING DEAD has added fuel to the fire on these guns and current pricing as one of the main characters in the show carries a PYTHON..

Python is too nice a gun to be killing Zombies with, any old Taurus will do the job.:p

DYNOMIKE
February 27, 2014, 13:28
Python is too nice a gun to be killing Zombies with, any old Taurus will do the job.:p

That just might be a stretch.....
Many of the Taurus Revolvers I've seen in te last couple years would be lucky to get through one full cylinder let alone several episodes of the a Zombie Apocalypse... :tongue:

jugrunner
February 27, 2014, 20:07
That just might be a stretch.....
Many of the Taurus Revolvers I've seen in te last couple years would be lucky to get through one full cylinder let alone several episodes of the a Zombie Apocalypse... :tongue:

I'll have to agree ... early Taurus were "ok" ... not so much later on ...

they were never or ever will be the quality of a Smith/Colt ...

I need to go shoot my old Trooper ... just finished some loads ... I've never shot it ... :eek:

DYNOMIKE
February 27, 2014, 21:25
I'll have to agree ... early Taurus were "ok" ... not so much later on ...

they were never or ever will be the quality of a Smith/Colt ...

I need to go shoot my old Trooper ... just finished some loads ... I've never shot it ... :eek:

Yup, not Smith's or Colts but solid revolvers..
Not so much now though which is too bad.. Nice to have options but when the product is te sux that option goes away....

You do need to shoot that Trooper though Jugs, real NICE wheel gun and I suspect you'll be pleased... :beer:

jugrunner
February 28, 2014, 20:18
You do need to shoot that Trooper though Jugs, real NICE wheel gun and I suspect you'll be pleased... :beer:

I just loaded a few 110grn JHP ... compressed load of 4227 ... may leave a lot of copper behind but it's one of my buddy's "pet" loads ... we'll see ... :eek: ... 1370 fps +/- ... he says accurate on the scary side ... I won't shoot many in the Trooper ... I'll plink with 38 spec mostly ...

... I'm getting old ... :rolleyes:

ETA: I seriously was looking to replace my Smith Model 14 Target Masterpiece when I bought this Trooper ... I do hope it shoots well ... it should ...

March 13, 2014, 21:45
the Python has a superb single & double trigger, great accuracy, and the most beautiful revolver ever made. the s&w is not in the same league.

jugrunner
March 14, 2014, 13:24
the Python has a superb single & double trigger, great accuracy, and the most beautiful revolver ever made. the s&w is not in the same league.

:bspole:

Retired Bum
March 14, 2014, 17:12
I concur with jugrunner. I have a 1975 made Python and it does indeed have a fine blued finish, a superb single action trigger and a so-so double action. But in my modest collection of S&W's I have a prewar 38/44 Outdoorsman that will put the Python to shame. A beautiful high polish blued finish. A glass rod single action trigger. A double action slicker than oiled glass. And it is in original condition. No 'smithing or refinishing of any sort.

I also have a Model 27 that dates from the mid 1960's. It is every bit as refined as the 38/44 but chambered for the .357 Magnum.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

March 15, 2014, 00:39
when a guy on tv wants to be cool it's python time. except for dirty harry but pythons did show up in magnum force.

zinj
March 15, 2014, 01:24
The only people who can match the Colt cult on the obsessive scale are the Winchester fanatics. Not saying that either of them are bad guns (though both companies did put out some absolute garbage during their "golden years," Winchester semi-auto shotguns I am looking at you), but they aren't some holy relics transported straight out of Jerusalem, either.

Probably the biggest issue with buying Colt revolvers is that the "classic" Colt lockwork objectively sucks from a durability standpoint. Colt fans love to hype the "bank vault" lockup on the guns, but there actually are really good reasons why you want some rotational play in a revolver's cylinder: it allows the cylinder to align with the barrel when the accelerating bullet hits the forcing cone. Unless the manufacturer's machining capabilities are so sophisticated that the barrel's position in the frame and all six the cylinder stop notches and chambers align perfectly there is always going to be some rotational force on the cylinder.

Now to achieve the "bank vault" lockup the classic Colts hold the cylinder pawl (called the "hand" in S&W speak) against the cylinder ratchet through the firing cycle, coincidentally the two surfaces which control the timing of the cylinder. The rotational forces that are produced during firing cause wear on these surfaces, which causes the gun to go out of time much quicker than the "loose" revolvers. What makes this even better is that, even though the Pythons were hyped as "hand fitted," all of the classic Colt revolvers required some hand fitting of the lockwork at the factory, so this is not a drop-in repair. In fact, there are only a handful of gunsmiths left in the country who can repair the old Colt DAs. Almost every repair is much more involved on a Colt than a Smith or a modern revolver. You know how a properly fitted Colt doesn't make a turn line? That is because the cylinder stop is fitted to drop at a certain point in the cylinder pawl's travel, which means if the pawl is replaced the cylinder stop must be refitted. Oh, and fixing endshake requires remachining the front of the cylinder to accept a bearing.

What this boils down to in the market is that a LOT of the Colt DAs you see for sale are not mechanically sound. Seriously, next time you are at a gunmonger with a good supply of Colts try slowly cocking a some to see how many don't carry up to lock the cylinder, or how many have cylinders that slide back and forth with the hammer down (the pawl holds the cylinder forward when the gun is cocked). The horror really sets in when you realize that you can't tell from the condition of the gun whether there are issues with the lockwork: a Python with bluing wear only in the cylinder notches may not carry up on any chamber, while a Police Positive that was carried on a belt for 20 years is fine. I would never buy a Colt DA without the opportunity to inspect the mechanicals first.

Like I said before, I don't hate Colt revolvers, but as shooters they are hideously overvalued. In fact, I doubt if one in ten of the people I see shooting revolvers are shooting Colts. At the end of the day it is the Colt name that drives up the value on these, and most of the people buying them these days aren't going to shoot the things. At that point you might as well just collect coins.

L Haney
March 15, 2014, 05:27
The only people who can match the Colt cult on the obsessive scale are the Winchester fanatics. Not saying that either of them are bad guns (though both companies did put out some absolute garbage during their "golden years," Winchester semi-auto shotguns I am looking at you), but they aren't some holy relics transported straight out of Jerusalem, either.

Probably the biggest issue with buying Colt revolvers is that the "classic" Colt lockwork objectively sucks from a durability standpoint. Colt fans love to hype the "bank vault" lockup on the guns, but there actually are really good reasons why you want some rotational play in a revolver's cylinder: it allows the cylinder to align with the barrel when the accelerating bullet hits the forcing cone. Unless the manufacturer's machining capabilities are so sophisticated that the barrel's position in the frame and all six the cylinder stop notches and chambers align perfectly there is always going to be some rotational force on the cylinder.

Now to achieve the "bank vault" lockup the classic Colts hold the cylinder pawl (called the "hand" in S&W speak) against the cylinder ratchet through the firing cycle, coincidentally the two surfaces which control the timing of the cylinder. The rotational forces that are produced during firing cause wear on these surfaces, which causes the gun to go out of time much quicker than the "loose" revolvers. What makes this even better is that, even though the Pythons were hyped as "hand fitted," all of the classic Colt revolvers required some hand fitting of the lockwork at the factory, so this is not a drop-in repair. In fact, there are only a handful of gunsmiths left in the country who can repair the old Colt DAs. Almost every repair is much more involved on a Colt than a Smith or a modern revolver. You know how a properly fitted Colt doesn't make a turn line? That is because the cylinder stop is fitted to drop at a certain point in the cylinder pawl's travel, which means if the pawl is replaced the cylinder stop must be refitted. Oh, and fixing endshake requires remachining the front of the cylinder to accept a bearing.

What this boils down to in the market is that a LOT of the Colt DAs you see for sale are not mechanically sound. Seriously, next time you are at a gunmonger with a good supply of Colts try slowly cocking a some to see how many don't carry up to lock the cylinder, or how many have cylinders that slide back and forth with the hammer down (the pawl holds the cylinder forward when the gun is cocked). The horror really sets in when you realize that you can't tell from the condition of the gun whether there are issues with the lockwork: a Python with bluing wear only in the cylinder notches may not carry up on any chamber, while a Police Positive that was carried on a belt for 20 years is fine. I would never buy a Colt DA without the opportunity to inspect the mechanicals first.

I think I just unlearned most of what I though I knew about revolver lockwork.

Dang.

jugrunner
March 15, 2014, 18:40
Well ... let's watch this one ... looks interesting so far ...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=400357451

zinj
March 15, 2014, 23:20
Well ... let's watch this one ... looks interesting so far ...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=400357451

I love how they imply that the gun is unfired (without ever stating such explicitly, of course) when the thing has a cylinder turn line and cartridge drag marks on the recoil shield. It also looks like someone has popped off the sideplate at least once and scarred the edges. I haven't been following the S&W market too close lately, looks like the collectors will drive the prices up to Colt levels before too long.

Hell, J&G is selling beater DAO S&W 64 trade-ins for $370-400. I never paid that much for my .357 S&Ws, and I got in the market after the golden years were long gone!

Nomad, 2nd
March 15, 2014, 23:43

I had a '72 (IIRC) 6 inch python.

I have a number of Smiths with superior triggers.

Even a 1917...