PDA

View Full Version : Japanese K98k rifles?

enbloc8
February 09, 2014, 20:07
"Backbone of the Wehrmacht" mentions an order of 20,000 K98ks for Japan in the mid-late 1930s. The material I have on Japanese rifles mentions a large number of Czech vz.24s used by the Imperial Navy, but I've seen nothing elsewhere about German-made rifles being used by the Japanese.

Is there any more information known about these rifles? Any known surviving examples or specific markings?

K. Funk
February 09, 2014, 20:30
I consulted my Mauser bible and after reading the section on Japanese K98's realized I was reading the same book as you. I have never seen them referenced anywhere else.

krf

justashooter
February 09, 2014, 20:51
some years ago i came across a german made 1937 marked K98 that had what i thought was a chinese character on it. when i asked a chinese to translate it they said it was a japanese character. possibly a jap secondary standard occupation rifle seized by the chinese at second war's end and later imported with the omega weapons batch back in the 80's from viet nam. a hell of a trip, one way or the other.

randy762ak
February 09, 2014, 21:27
HUmm---One of my friend has a Remington Mosin Nagant 1891 with Japanese markings//

Our guess-sent to china in wwII and captured by the japs ,,converted to single shot and Marked with the name of a Japanese university used as a training arm.brought back by a US serviceman as a trophy

tdb59
February 09, 2014, 21:30
Many Carcanos were produced in 6.5 Japanese.

The Siamese Mausers were produced by contract in Japan.

enbloc8
February 09, 2014, 22:52
HUmm---One of my friend has a Remington Mosin Nagant 1891 with Japanese markings//

Our guess-sent to china in wwII and captured by the japs ,,converted to single shot and Marked with the name of a Japanese university used as a training arm.brought back by a US serviceman as a trophy

Or perhaps captured in one of the early Japanese-Soviet dust-ups on the Manchurian border, like Changkufeng or Nomonhan?

randy762ak
February 12, 2014, 19:36
Or perhaps captured in one of the early Japanese-Soviet dust-ups on the Manchurian border, like Changkufeng or Nomonhan

Except we never sent the Remington and westinghouse rifles to the russians --Because of the revolution .[1917]. The US army Bought most of them to keep Rem and Westing House from going Bankrupt . We gave them to Any country That was a friend.. As In China 1930's

One could wonder all day the story about this one -!

enbloc8
February 12, 2014, 19:53
Or perhaps captured in one of the early Japanese-Soviet dust-ups on the Manchurian border, like Changkufeng or Nomonhan

Except we never sent the Remington and westinghouse rifles to the russians --Because of the revolution .[1917]. The US army Bought most of them to keep Rem and Westing House from going Bankrupt . We gave them to Any country That was a friend.. As In China 1930's

One could wonder all day the story about this one -!

I thought at least some of them made it over to Russia before the Revolution?

I haven't looked at it in a while, but I'd swear my NE Westinghouse example has a bunch of Soviet parts on it.

randy762ak
February 12, 2014, 21:18
Its possible --- Id not discount anything,,!

So Many of us have wondered about that our rifles could tell is if they could talk !

tdb59
February 12, 2014, 22:07

Except we never sent the Remington and westinghouse rifles to the russians --Because of the revolution .[1917]. ...

During 1915-1917 Remington produced 840,310 M1891 rifles, of which 131,400 had arrived in Russia by January 1917. In the same period Westinghouse made 770,000 rifles; 225,260 were delivered to Russia by January 1917.

As early as February 1916 Westinghouse tried to persuade the U. S. government to buy M1891s of its own. Although the War Dept. expressed some slight interest at the time the matter did not proceed further until after dramatic events occurred a year later.

http://www.mosinnagant.net/ussr/US-Mosin-Nagants.asp

randy762ak
February 13, 2014, 15:01
YEP==Very possible -- But I did not think any made it over there before the revolution --Thanks

.30-06
February 14, 2014, 22:37
This wouldn't surprise me. The Germans gave the Japanese ship and aircraft technology, why not weapons as well?

Topbanana
February 14, 2014, 23:15
I saw one on display at the special forces museum in North Carolina. It was just as impressive as the FG-42 next to it!

Topbanana
February 14, 2014, 23:17
I'd call the museum, I'm sure they'd give you all the info you could want.

K. Funk
February 15, 2014, 03:58
Here's one with a story.....vet bringback from Vietnam of all places. Date is right, geography is right, but Russian Capture marks are not. Interesting if true.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=393551531

krf