PDA

View Full Version : Glitch: my attached pics are not showing up.

ExCdnSoldierInTx
February 07, 2014, 21:57
My attached pics aren't showing up, but they are shown as attachments when I go to edit. Odd..

Gary or Jen, any clue here?

Jen
February 08, 2014, 10:42
shoot me a link to a post with the issue so I can investigate further.

Sig220
February 08, 2014, 12:04
How are you hosting your pics?

I know photobucket is working, cause I have a thread with pics hosted by them and it works.......all can see em!!

ExCdnSoldierInTx
February 08, 2014, 20:44
I'm a contributor, and one of the perks of contributing (there are many) is being able to upload attachments from your computer.

Jaxxas
February 08, 2014, 21:06
I'm a contributor, and one of the perks of contributing (there are many) is being able to upload attachments from your computer.

Correct!

But that doesn't mean its the best way!

L Haney
February 08, 2014, 21:13
Maybe just me but I've found it far easier to put the pics on Photobucket and use the link to embed them in a post. YMMV.

Sig220
February 08, 2014, 21:38

Been there and done that.........contribute, may again but like Haney said photobucket is................so easy!!:rolleyes:

ExCdnSoldierInTx
February 08, 2014, 22:19
Been there and done that.........contribute, may again but like Haney said photobucket is................so easy!!:rolleyes:

But again, I use my iPad, and to drag/drop is tough on an iPad.

Jen
February 08, 2014, 22:19
Sad News: Old attachments which weren't in the most recent backup are likely lost as they were being stored on the web server.

I have changed the settings so all attachments will now be stored in the database.

Hebrew Battle Rifle
February 08, 2014, 22:28
Sad News: Old attachments which weren't in the most recent backup are likely lost as they were being stored on the web server.

I have changed the settings so all attachments will now be stored in the database.

You are so hot when you talk tech:love:

Abominog
February 10, 2014, 11:22
We know how to use Photobucket, but some prefer to embed. It used to work, it should now.

Here's an example, attachment done today: Post #15 http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366784

dpr64
February 12, 2014, 10:52
Very odd, any photos I post also show up as attachments and the insert image option/link does not work also...
Hmmmm...

W.E.G.
February 12, 2014, 12:08

Yeah, but I don't think that fixed the problem at issue.

My watered-down version of the Admin Control Panel won't let me access the function that determines how attachments are displayed. You can go in there and fix it so that attachments appear as images instead of links. I'm locked out.

There is a reach-around way for individual users to deal with it.

The user who uploads the attachment can view the link.
User can click the link (open the attachment), and then right-click on the image to reveal properties.
Copy the path from the displayed properties.
Go back and edit the OP so that the attachment is now embedded as an IMG item in the same way as if the user were embedding any other hot-linkable image.

Like I did in the vegan thread: http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3790923&postcount=1

dpr64
February 13, 2014, 00:36
Darn! Tried it and still cannot get it to display.....

Peconga
February 19, 2014, 14:20
We know how to use Photobucket, but some prefer to embed. It used to work, it should now.

Here's an example, attachment done today: Post #15 http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366784

See screenshot below of what Abominog is talking about. Since the Big Crash, attached images have NOT been displaying correctly inline for me. Instead what I see is a list of the attached files, which I have to right-click to open and display in a new tab on my browser. Before the Crash these attached images all displayed inline, the same as externally hosted (linked) files on Photobucket or elsewhere. To be clear, the only images which do not display correctly are those hosted on the FAL Files own servers; those hosted offsite display just fine. Note that I have not changed any user settings before or after the Crash; on my "User Control Panel / Edit Optons / Thread Display Options" screen the option "Show Images (including attached images and images in code)" is still checked "Yes".

Clearly something has changed and the pre-Crash settings have not been fully restored yet.

[img]http://www.peconga.com/waffen/reference/misc/falfiles_image_problem_example.jpg

Peconga
April 03, 2014, 13:12
Any update on this issue?

Since the Big Crash, attached images have NOT been displaying correctly inline...

Attached image files hosted on the FAL Files database server are still not displaying correctly inline i.e. they appear as a list of linked files, not images in the main thread. This includes image files added since The Big Server Crash, which open in a new browser tab when you click on the filename.

As mentioned above, old image files that were stored on the FAL Files web server are gone for good, so display an error message in the new tab when clicked. This is a different issue.

Image files that are linked externally (Photobucket, etc) still display correctly (inline) using the "img" tag, both before and after the Crash. This is not an issue (but may be a clue).

Thanks!