PDA

View Full Version : Subscribe to Forum

Eric0321
January 30, 2014, 14:13
Hello,

I was trying to utilize the Subscribe to Forum option for the Martkeplace. I was wanting to set it up so that I get an email whenever something new is posted to that forum.

I can figure how to do it for specific thread, but not the entire forum.

Is this possible here?

Thank you

L Haney
January 30, 2014, 17:41
You must really like to get emails. Market is by far the highest traffic forum here.

Most people that set the subscribe option are following something specific. Usually a WTB they posted in the market. Or a really kickin' ass spanking on another topic.

Why would you want that level of notification for an entire forum?

jugrunner
January 30, 2014, 17:41
yep ... NM ... Haney want's to get all serious and stuff ...

W.E.G.
January 30, 2014, 18:25
I'm never sure what others can see when they view the forum.

Sometimes I think I get to see things that the rest of you can't.

Anyhow, I can go to the main Marketplace forum, and then "mouse-over"
the "Forum Tools" and it gives me the option to subscribe to the whole damn forum.

Subscribing to the whole damn forum would be pretty much an email :shitstorm:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/trivia/why_zpsed121f6b.jpg

L Haney
January 30, 2014, 19:46
Gary, do non-contributors get to see the "NEW POSTS" option at the top?

I don't think they do.

Far as your view I'm sure it's different. Had the same thing happen when I was a mod for a scant while on the AKFiles.

Eric0321
January 30, 2014, 20:02
I don't see that view. Mine is very limited on that pull down list.

I was going to create an RSS feed system off of the emails. I wont be keeping them. I didn't see that the sight supported RSS feeds. Does it?

Thank you

Eric0321
January 31, 2014, 00:05
I figured out a way to create an RSS feed by screen scraping. I'm using this free service feed43.com. I can now get marketplace posts in my RSS aggregator. Woot! Too bad the free one only updates every 6 hours. Still more than I would check the marketplace manually.
:hobbesdancing:

jugrunner
February 03, 2014, 16:16
I figured out a way to create an RSS feed by screen scraping. I'm using this free service feed43.com. I can now get marketplace posts in my RSS aggregator. Woot! Too bad the free one only updates every 6 hours. Still more than I would check the marketplace manually.
:hobbesdancing:

good luck ... I know a guy that checks it every 6 minutes ... :wink:

seriously ... !!!

Eric0321
February 04, 2014, 08:06
Wow! Yeah I'm not willing to compete with that kind of dedication. Plus I'm lazy and like to automate things so I don't have to.

The best I can do with that service if I pay is hourly updates. For now I'm happy with an update ever six.