View Full Version : Fascinating Piece of History Here..Lady Be Good

K. Funk
January 28, 2014, 17:26
Actual gun taken from the B-24 Lady be Good. Fascinating story in and of itself with the loss and then finding of the bomber.

January 28, 2014, 17:28
bad link

K. Funk
January 28, 2014, 17:29
Fixed it...

January 28, 2014, 23:17
Nice piece of history.

I wouldn't want to own it though. The Feds are weird about deciding stuff like that actually belongs to them. Even if 10 administrations prior had deemed it salvage/scrap, one US Attorney with too much time on his hands could make owning it really, really expensive.

John A
April 28, 2014, 09:17
On a very similar subject, a squadron of planes were ditched during bad weather in 1942 and subsequently was lost for decades.

Then, after several expeditions, they were found and salvaged and parted out and reverse engineered and rebuilt into a single working plane.

It was housed in the next county over from me and I was fortunate enough to be able to watch it's maiden flight after restoration.

It has been featured on several shows and media now and has been really interesting to follow.

video of flight:

J. Armstrong
April 28, 2014, 11:30
Interesting piece. In that config it must have come from one of the turrets. My guess would be the ball turret, as that would have been retracted into the plane and thus somewhat protected from blowing sand.

April 28, 2014, 18:14
Last I heard, the wreckage of the Lady Be Good had been moved to the Libyan military museum at Tobruk. Lord only knows what's become of it since.