View Full Version : High Standard Question

January 21, 2014, 13:54
I purchased a Model GB High Standard 22lr (1949-1950) in excellent condition....shot very little. It came with the original mag. I managed to find an additional 2 NOS mags, also.

Took it out to play and found it somewhat difficult to load the mags.
I has an assortment of ammo, including Aguila & Monarch which it did not like....feed & ejection issues and unfortunately did not get to try the Remington, CCI or Win 22lr I have.

My question is....is there a secret to loading these mags ?

I tried holding the tension spring button down, hoping the rounds would fall into place....that does not work !! Getting the round into the top of the mag just seems hard.....

Austin, Tx

January 21, 2014, 16:18
Graham my best guess would be the former owner adjusted the width of the magazines feed lips for a particular brand/type of ammunition to aid in reliable feeding for the ammo he/she primarily used in the pistol.

As it stands the feed lips are more than likely adjusted a little to narrow for the ammo you have already tried making it "Getting the round into the top of the mag just seems hard.....".

A minute adjustment to the feed lips should solve this problem. High Standard sells a magazine lip adjustment tool for this exact purpose. Although it's use is not absolutely necessary and the same results can be performed with the aid of some common hand tools or you can fab your own lip adjustment tool. See below for more detailed info.

Hope this helps.

See page 13 of PDF for magazine lip adjustment tool.

The info below courtesy of High Standard manufacturing company:

Magazine adjustments

22 Long Rifle

All magazines are gauged to be under .360 wide. However, if you receive a magazine that is wider than .360., you can easily correct this with the use of a dial caliper and a pair of pliers or vise grips.

Magazine feeding is very sensitive to the particular ammunition that is being used. Due to the wide variance in ammunition specifications, the width of the magazines feed lips must be adjusted for the particular target ammunition to be used to obtain maximum reliability.

The basic dimensions should be .230 wide for the rear of the front lips and .185 wide for the front of the rear lips. The front and rear lips should also be kept parallel.

Magazines should always be kept clean and well oiled.

NOTE: 1. The .230 dimension is fairly constant for all ammunition. The .185 dimension should be increased if the bullets are feeding too low, and it should be decreased if the bullets are feeding too high. This adjustment can be accomplished with tools like needle nose pliers. You can also make your own tool with a piece of 1/4 in.1/2 in. flat stock by sawing a slot in the end. 2. Due to the overall length of some 22LR match ammunition, it will be impossible to get it to feed ten (10) rounds properly.

CAUTION: 1. The magazine lips are heat-treated and will break if they are bent too much at one time. 2. Magazine feed lips may drag on slide feed rail if decreased in width too much.

Contact us with any problems or concerns about adjusting your magazine or send it to us to adjust.

High Standard has designed a tool to adjust magazines, please call us.

January 21, 2014, 18:42
Here are directions on how to tune your magazine:

January 21, 2014, 22:45
1 - beyond your question of loading the magazine, HS pistols feed from the magazine feedlips to the chamber/breech. No ramp. So the lips really matter - more than in a usual 22lr pistol. Heed the info you were given above.

2 - I noticed a range of 22lr ammunition types you mentioned. To the best of my knowledge and what I have learned about HS, they are designed with Standard Velocity ammunition in mind. I don't have a reference or link handy but recall periodic threads around the interwebs where the owner of a HS reports rail problems after a bunch of minimags. My understanding is that the frame & its rails are not heat treated. You probably will do better sticking with the Aguila standard velocity ammo, or Remington target or subsonic (Eley repackaged?)

Other than that, WTH do I know. I'm a baboon. Not sure I even fit RKI designation, surely am not a guru. YMMV.

January 22, 2014, 11:36
That is great info guys...thanks so much.

I'm fairly adept in the mechanical division, so I will take said pliers, carefully measure & adjust.

Thanks for the help.

January 22, 2014, 11:46
Just got feedback from HS.....
They ONLY recommend CCI standard velocity.

That was their total answer to me ??

January 22, 2014, 13:54
use standard velocity, non-plated lead only ...

use this tool ...

have fun ... I do ...

January 23, 2014, 11:28
Hey Jug....that's a great price....HS want $45 +tax & shipping.

January 23, 2014, 11:50
Great tool....just ordered one.
Again, thanks !!