PDA

View Full Version : Mag loader for AUG mags ?

moonbat60
January 19, 2014, 18:59
Hey guys,

does anybody have any idea about what kind of mag loader I could use for loading AUG mags?

Today I looked at a striplula for AR15 / M16 mags, would that work on AUG mags too ?

I need something that could use loose ammo as well as stripper clips.

Thanks,

moonbat60

moonbat60
January 20, 2014, 13:42
So far I've found out that the Butler Creek maglula for AR15 and the striplula for AR15 mags won't work with Steyr AUG mags.

Neither will the CAA mag loader.

Tankdriver
January 20, 2014, 21:19
Go here, these guys know AUGs better than anybody I know of......

http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?board=23.0

gunhand
January 21, 2014, 05:59
For $400.00, I'll keep loading by hand!

moonbat60
January 21, 2014, 22:14
Beta C-Mags sells a mag loader for their AUG drum mags around $16.

Part # is LSTP05.

Tankdriver
January 21, 2014, 23:22
Check this one out too, not sure if it will work or not. Amazon has them for 24 bucks.....

Says it fits "Most all 5.56 Mags"

Good company.

http://www.thecompassstore.com/rel223.html

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/thecompassstore_2265_18852166

moonbat60
January 22, 2014, 15:14
I just contacted Cammenga about their Easyloader ( like the one in Tankdriver's post ) , and they advised me to buy the model REL762x39SK, and that it would work with Steyr AUG mags.

Honestly, I'm a little bit skeptical about it, for the AUG is chambered in 5.56x45mm, which is a longer round than the 7.62x39mm, unless those guys at Cammenga know something that I don't.

moonbat60
January 22, 2014, 22:11
More news: the ProMag PM072 is according to their tech also NOT going to fit.

moonbat60
January 23, 2014, 08:40
Latest news:

the Thermold MC M-16/AR-15/10 is supposed to fir Steyr AUG mags, according to one of their techs.

moonbat60
January 23, 2014, 18:40
I will order the Thermold magloader, and if it does not work, I will either modify it or sell it off.

I will post my experiences on here and on the bullpup forum, in the Steyr AUG thread.

moonbat60
January 23, 2014, 22:16
Jason, I wil see it when it gets here.

Tankdriver
January 26, 2014, 12:48
Keep us posted.

moonbat60
January 26, 2014, 17:43
Will do, tankdriver.

YAKDriver
January 27, 2014, 09:09
Hope the link works. There were charger clips for the AUG made by ADI. They hold 15 rounds. You could use one of those as a start to adapt a loader.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQy1Ak_Smv4treeDMWVv14697D02I368 mxGYp5AWkv69BYcUuHYCg

moonbat60
January 27, 2014, 10:57
Hope the link works. There were charger clips for the AUG made by ADI. They hold 15 rounds. You could use one of those as a start to adapt a loader.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQy1Ak_Smv4treeDMWVv14697D02I368 mxGYp5AWkv69BYcUuHYCg

I will look into that, YAKDriver, as soon as I get one.

moonbat60
January 27, 2014, 19:42
Ok, I've got the Thermold magloader in the mail today.

First of all, it is made to fit AR15 mags, but as I don't have any of those on hand, I cannot tell anything about the fit on those.

Second, after looking at it and trying to slide it over an AUG mag, it would partly fit.

The rear area fits ok, but on the front (tip of the bullets side) it sits too high.

I've decided to cut out a rectangular piece at the front, approximately 0.571" wide by 0.271" deep. The thing is, the loader needs to sit snug on top of the top rib of the AUG mag, which is a waffle-pattern mag.

After about 30 minutes of cutting and filing, I had it the way I wanted it. I took my time on it, for I didn't want to mess things up.

I used key files for the finishing.

The other point of attention at the front of the magazine is, you don't want to bend or dent the feed lips, so the cut-out needs to be wide enough and deep enough as per the figures given above.

I've tried it, and it works ok. I would use it to charge an empty 30rd mag with 25 rounds, and put in the rest by hand.

In the next days I'll take another look at it to see if it requires further modification to make it work better.

On a final note............this loader was made for use with stripper clips, which might make a difference. It will also take loose ammo. As I don't have any stripper clips on hand in .223 / 5.56mm, I really cannot tell if there's a difference.

To be continued............

moonbat60
January 27, 2014, 23:48
I've placed right now an order for a Beta C-Mag loader made for Steyr AUG's.

As soon as it arrives, I'll compare it to the Thermold.

Now I just would like to get my hands on the ADI ( Aussie Defense Industries) magloader, and I'll run a comparison test on all three.

moonbat60
January 28, 2014, 19:15
Thanks, Jason !

moonbat60
January 28, 2014, 19:19
I tend to believe right now that the only "good" (well-working) mag loaders will be the Beta C-Mag and the Aussie Army ones.

If anybody on here has got some different take on this, feel free to post.......

moonbat60
January 31, 2014, 18:50
I just got an email stating that my beta C-Mag loader will be here on coming Tuesday.

Let's see how that works out................

Doug_262
February 01, 2014, 03:01
Yeah the ADI 556 cans & bandoliers were for the AUG

Tankdriver
February 02, 2014, 10:50
I just contacted Cammenga about their Easyloader ( like the one in Tankdriver's post ) , and they advised me to buy the model REL762x39SK, and that it would work with Steyr AUG mags.

Honestly, I'm a little bit skeptical about it, for the AUG is chambered in 5.56x45mm, which is a longer round than the 7.62x39mm, unless those guys at Cammenga know something that I don't.

They are selling them on eBay for 26.95. They are listing which to buy for which rifle, and they list for the AUG, use the 7.62 x 39mm one. So it mine work.

moonbat60
February 02, 2014, 17:02
Thanks, tankdriver, I will look into that as well.

moonbat60
February 02, 2014, 22:52
Ordered one. I hope it works out.

As soon as I get at least two magloaders in for a comparison, I'll post a short review of each.

Tankdriver
February 02, 2014, 23:03
Ordered one. I hope it works out.

As soon as I get at least two magloaders in for a comparison, I'll post a short review of each.

Let me know.......

moonbat60
February 03, 2014, 00:30
Will do, pal.

moonbat60
February 04, 2014, 22:27
The snowstorm and the bad weather conditions will delay it for a while. I just got notification by email that both packages are "a day or two late".

moonbat60
February 06, 2014, 18:51
Ok, today I've received a Beta C-Mag magloader.

Short review: I bought that device directly from the Beta Co., which produces high capacity drums and other stuff for most popular MBRs, including the Steyr AUG. The item # is LSTP05 for loading loose ammo.

The device seems pretty solid, and the fit is great. It slips nice and snug over the top of any AUG mag.

First off, you pull the plunger all the way to the top, and make sure that the device is seated the right way on the mag.

On the side of the magloader there is an opening to insert 5 cartridges. Insert 5 rounds, depress the plunger, and there you go. Repeat till mag is loaded.

On the side the magloader is clearly marked to work with Steyr AUG mags.

So far I've found nothing to complain about regarding this magloader, except for maybe the price.

A single unit costs $16.50 according to their website. It works as advertised.

I've tried it on a 42rd mag, and it did its job.

If you are looking for a way to speed up the loading of AUG mags, this would be one way to go, and a reliable way.

The device looks solid enough to hold up to frequent use and not to break or wear out too soon.

Usability : +++ ( score based on: made for AUG mags / ease of operation / takes loose ammo )

Price: ++- ( score based on: no cheap plastic used / Beta C drums and AUG mags / could be about $4 - $5 cheaper )

General : +++ - ( score based on: the device was originally designed and intended for the use on Beta C drums, but works equally well on Steyr AUG mags / loads loose ammo / loads 5 rounds at a time / price could be a tad lower )

Would I recommend this device to others : Yes. It speeds up loading AUG mags. Good, simple and solid design. If you can get over the fact of loading only 5 rds at a time, you'll be ok with this device.

moonbat60
February 07, 2014, 18:23
I've got the Cammenga Easyloader today.

The item to order is for SKS762x39SK. Don't let it irritate you, the .223 / 5.56x45mm ammo will fit.

As I had to run errands, I only had a few minutes to test it, but so far it seems to work well with Steyr AUG mags.

I was not able to fill it up to capacity and then charge the mags with it, but I will try to do it on this weekend.

So far it seems like a good usable device to load mags with.

Tankdriver
February 07, 2014, 20:37
I like the looks of the Cammenga Easyloader, I hope it works well....

Keep up the good work......;)

moonbat60
February 08, 2014, 18:11
Here is a short review of the Cammenga Easyloader :

Referring to my previous post, mine is a 762x39SK, which is meant for loading SKS mags in 7.62x39mm AND AUG mags in .223 / 5.56x45mm.

The fit of the AUG mags is snug. The Cammenga Easyloader is simple and well made. I'll call it "device" from now on in this article.

It can be charged with 20rds. of 5.56x45mm / .223, so one std. box.

It operates in 3 simple steps:

#1 Insert magazine. On the device there is the word TOP imprinted.

#2 Open the rail cover of the deviceand insert ammo. As I said above, it will hold 20rds. in a single line. The ammo is held secure enough. Close rail cover.

#3 Hold magazine against your chest or solid surface and pull lever. It requires some effort, as you need to work against the magazine spring. After pulling the lever all the way towards the mag, all 20rds. go into the mag without a single round left.

You just got to be a little careful when pulling the lever, so the magazine does not back out at the other end.

I've used the device with a 42rd. AUG mag, and loading 40rds. was a breeze.

It works definitely faster than loading a mag 1 round at a time, and it seriously pays off when you load up several magazines. It saves your fingers from wearing down.

moonbat60
February 08, 2014, 18:33
Comparison:

Dimensions:

#1 Beta C-Mag 5rd. mag loader LSTP05

4" x 3" x 1.1"

#2 Cammenga Easyloader 762x39SK

11" x 3.25" x 2.0" ( at charging handle )

#1 is about 1/3 of the size of #2, so if size is your concern, go for #1. #1 would be ideal for carrying in a pouch in your BOB or other bag, or a pocket, as it is very compact.

Both devices are made out of fiber reinforced polymer and are black in color. Both, if dirty, can be cleaned out with water or air. Both do not contain any metal parts that could rust.

Both devices are simple and easy to operate. A 5-yr-old could grasp it after being shown once or twice.

#2 is better for range use, and for a high volume shooter. If you need to get a bunch of mags charged up with ammo in a short period of time, #2 is the way to go.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both devices got their pro's and con's, but nothing major. Both devices work as intended and will do their job for probably years.

Both were made to be used with loose ammo, that's what I was looking for. Both come with instructions how to use them.

Would I recommend one over the other ? No. I would recommend both. It depends on what you are looking for. One device is more compact, loads 5rds at a time, the other is longer and takes 20rds. at a time.

Regarding prices and sources I will state the following:

#1 was oerdered from Beta C-Mag Co. directly.

#2 was ordered over Amazon.com.

I'm not in any ways affiliated with either company.

I hope this review was helpful and made your decision a little easier.

Moonbat60

Tankdriver
February 08, 2014, 21:05
Comparison:

Dimensions:

#1 Beta C-Mag 5rd. mag loader LSTP05

4" x 3" x 1.1"

#2 Cammenga Easyloader 762x39SK

11" x 3.25" x 2.0" ( at charging handle )

#1 is about 1/3 of the size of #2, so if size is your concern, go for #1. #1 would be ideal for carrying in a pouch in your BOB or other bag, or a pocket, as it is very compact.

Both devices are made out of fiber reinforced polymer and are black in color. Both, if dirty, can be cleaned out with water or air. Both do not contain any metal parts that could rust.

Both devices are simple and easy to operate. A 5-yr-old could grasp it after being shown once or twice.

#2 is better for range use, and for a high volume shooter. If you need to get a bunch of mags charged up with ammo in a short period of time, #2 is the way to go.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both devices got their pro's and con's, but nothing major. Both devices work as intended and will do their job for probably years.

Both were made to be used with loose ammo, that's what I was looking for. Both come with instructions how to use them.

Would I recommend one over the other ? No. I would recommend both. It depends on what you are looking for. One device is more compact, loads 5rds at a time, the other is longer and takes 20rds. at a time.

Regarding prices and sources I will state the following:

#1 was oerdered from Beta C-Mag Co. directly.

#2 was ordered over Amazon.com.

I'm not in any ways affiliated with either company.

I hope this review was helpful and made your decision a little easier.

Moonbat60

Thanks for the good work, plus a excuse for you to get both of them.....:devil: