PDA

View Full Version : Ithaca 37 magazine cap stuck!

jshema
January 17, 2014, 04:14
Anyone have any experience having the magazine cap being super tight against the barrel lug so that it cannot be unscrewed to remove the barrel? And if so, how did you get it to turn for removal?

Andy the Aussie
January 17, 2014, 17:11
I would first soak with some penetrating oil for a few days and maybe some soft mallet work to see if it just breaks a combo of crud/rust/dried "lubricant" etc. How long since it was last taken apart ??? I had one that was made in the 60s, traipsed all around Vietnam and then stored in a pile of other guns and crud till the 90s when I got it here. Took some soaking for all the bits to come apart but with a cleaning that little gun ended up as slick as snail snot. Last recourse for me would be a strip of leather and wrapped around the nut (to protect and give purchase) paired with a big set of vice grips to see if it just needs some leverage.

Andy the Aussie
January 17, 2014, 17:14
Just checking here, and I don't mean to sound like an arse, you do know you should be screwing that cap nut IN (as in toward the receiver of the shotgun, down the thread) and not out (off the thread) toward the muzzle to disassemble ?? Basically the reverse of any other pump gun design.

Illurian00
January 17, 2014, 17:24
What he said ^^^

jshema
January 17, 2014, 23:35
Andy, I actually cleaned it about a month ago and don't remember tightening it up towards the barrel lug. This is one of the 8 shot models and it was made in the early 80's. I was thinking of using a strap wrench on it if I can find one thin enough to fit in around the magazine cap, but I will see if soaking it in some oil will help first. Thanks for the help.

Andy the Aussie
January 17, 2014, 23:50
I had exactly the same model as well (commercial jobby not ex-mil like the 5 shot one I also had). Never struggled to get that cap screwed either way. Maybe a bit of crud has fouled a thread ?

KoKodog
January 19, 2014, 01:42
even w/ the assist lever pushed out to the side you can't move it ???

muzzle up/butt down, push the assist lever out to the side and turn the cap clockwise

jshema
January 19, 2014, 02:37
Kokodog, there is no assist lever on this one.

jshema
January 20, 2014, 02:31
Thanks for the advice, I got it off. There was some crud in the threads on the magazine tube.

andresere
January 20, 2014, 06:44
even w/ the assist lever pushed out to the side you can't move it ???

muzzle up/butt down, push the assist lever out to the side and turn the cap clockwise

That's what I was going to say. I didn't know they ever didn't have an assist lever. Learn something new every day.

KoKodog
January 21, 2014, 12:02
That's what I was going to say. I didn't know they ever didn't have an assist lever. Learn something new every day.

I would have to theorize that it was born sometime after 1970 .

after they started putting disconnectors in the Model 37's

??????? don't quote me on a date, just a W.A.G.

Andy the Aussie
January 21, 2014, 13:44
Koko ... do you have a pic for link to the assist lever ??? I am a bit of a fan of the M37 but can't find an image of it or reference to it. My 8 shot was made in the early 80s and still didn't have the disconnector, it is why I got it cheap, the owner kept letting shots go he didn't want ... ;)

gunplumber
January 21, 2014, 13:58
heat it. Not much, maybe 300F. Then spray liberally with penetrating oil. I use PB Blaster from Home Depot. Then let sit overnight and try again.

Also, vibrating the shit out of it with a nylon tipped air hammer works wonders for rusted on threads.

KoKodog
January 22, 2014, 14:58
Andy, these images should give you a good idea of the "lever"

and to the uninitiated the Model 37 becomes rather intimidating when you do not know
that there is not a disconnector and you can "run the mag"

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii524/BigDogWalkin/DSCN2849_zps0d47681e.jpg

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii524/BigDogWalkin/DSCN2853_zps4c233774.jpg

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii524/BigDogWalkin/DSCN2852_zps6a6a6fe6.jpg

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii524/BigDogWalkin/DSCN2850_zpsd963287f.jpg

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii524/BigDogWalkin/DSCN2851_zps037f4487.jpg

gunplumber
January 22, 2014, 15:05
and to the uninitiated the Model 37 becomes rather intimidating when you do not know
that there is not a disconnector and you can "run the mag"

I thought that, and the bottom eject (left hand shooters) were its only redeeming features . . ..

Andy the Aussie
January 23, 2014, 00:25
Ahhh OK...you prompted me to research this a little, that feature was discontinued around 1955 apparently, after this all they have is a plain old cap that most are use to seeing. My oldest was early 1960s and shipped off to Vietnam with the short butt (and 18 inch barrel) to accommodate the smaller Asian stature. I of course have "monkey arms" but found it very handy when I was all jacketed up in cold weather.

Yes, holding down the trigger and letting the whole capacity go was fun for the whole family... :) I also recall my Winchester Mod 12 (also ex-RVN, though brought home by a returning Aussie and not bought in a job lot for the VN Govt) was good to empty out in the same manner....but maybe my memory is shot.

gunplumber
January 23, 2014, 08:29
I also recall my Winchester Mod 12 (also ex-RVN, though brought home by a returning Aussie and not bought in a job lot for the VN Govt) was good to empty out in the same manner....but maybe my memory is shot.

IIRC there is a slight difference on the 12. The handguard locks in place, and has to be pushed forward to unlock, then back to cycle. So not quite as smooth and fast as the ithaca.

I used to do Ithacas up as "tacticools" for my left-handed customers, but then they decided to restrict any sales of their long tube model to letterhead police only. F-ck them, I hope they go bankrupt. Oh, they did!

KoKodog
January 23, 2014, 08:51
Ahhh OK...you prompted me to research this a little, that feature was discontinued around 1955 apparently, after this all they have is a plain old cap that most are use to seeing. My oldest was early 1960s and shipped off to Vietnam with the short butt (and 18 inch barrel) to accommodate the smaller Asian stature. I of course have "monkey arms" but found it very handy when I was all jacketed up in cold weather.

Yes, holding down the trigger and letting the whole capacity go was fun for the whole family... :) I also recall my Winchester Mod 12 (also ex-RVN, though brought home by a returning Aussie and not bought in a job lot for the VN Govt) was good to empty out in the same manner....but maybe my memory is shot.

Andy, your memory is intact,

there are only two pump guns without a disconnector (that I know of)

The Ithaca Model 37 and the Winchester Model 12,

both come to the shoulder very fast,

the Ithaca is a bit easier on most wallets,

the Model 12 is not within my budget's reach, although the Ithaca's are being driven up in price

many shotgun receivers these days are not nearly as robust as either the Ithaca or Winchester
the Ithaca was machined from a solid block of steel

I have to admit that I do favor the Model 37, it was the first shotgun that I hunted with,
and I still have it, it was my Dads, he won it on a punchboard at the Legion

and I have another that someone had cut down, very, very quick and handy deadly too

Gazz
January 23, 2014, 19:33
KoKodog, add the Win 97 and the Stevens 520 to your list of shotguns that can run the mag.

KoKodog
January 24, 2014, 11:17
KoKodog, add the Win 97 and the Stevens 520 to your list of shotguns that can run the mag.

noted

I suspected the Model 97 but my exposure to it is very limited

never had chance to handle the Stevens 520, but good to know

it is a short list of toys that run very fast

Dan K
February 26, 2017, 18:09
Had this problem with my Model 37 Featherweight. My gun is 40 years old and has served me well. After my last shoot, I took it home to clean it and could not screw the magazine end cap in to remove the barrel. After trying everything to move the end cap without damaging it, I thought maybe hitting the end of it with a wooden dowel (stuck in an air impact tool) would free up whatever I thought was stuck inside the tube. This worked, but not for anything stuck in the mag tube. The problem was the saddle or "yoke" that the barrel rests on had moved forward keeping the magazine tube end cap from screwing in. Apparently the racking of the fore end forward caused the yoke to move forward limiting the magazine end cap from movement. This yoke has a screw in it that allows movement or removal. It's not obvious when it happens.

bulletslap
February 28, 2017, 00:03
I have always thought it was odd that the Remington Model 17, a JMB design that the Ithaca 37 was a simplified copy of, had a disconnector preventing slam firing.

If you like model 37s, you will love the Remington 17 that was built only in a sleek 20 Gauge.