PDA

View Full Version : Colt Delta Elite

ByrnieMac
January 16, 2014, 23:34
Anybody own one? Had one? Shot one?

I'd like to hear your reactions/opinions of it. I hear great things, but I'd like to hear some honest feedback from fellow 'filers.

Thanks

Col. Bat Guano
January 17, 2014, 00:14
My brother-in-law had the first version of the Delta Elite when they came out in the late '80's and I had the opportunity to shoot it on multiple occasions. It played an influential role in me getting my own 10mm several years later. My purpose of purchasing a 10mm was for a pack gun and I ended up getting a Glock 20, which was more appropriate for my needs and usage. (I was also an early adopter of the Glock, purchasing a G17 when they were first introduced.)

While I find the Glock to be softer shooting than the Delta Elite, the Colt had a great feel to it, especially with the factory rubber grips. Even though I have had my Glocks for many years and am very accustomed to this pistol design and function, it has not stopped me from hankering for a new Delta Elite sometime in the future.

HighRatMaster
January 17, 2014, 00:36
I acquired one in 1990, didn't like it. I thought it was a bit vicious, but then I don't care much for the 357 either. It's recoil and muzzle blast seemed out of place since I was used to the .45. It didn't shoot as well as my SA 1911 NM but it seemed to function just fine. Ammo was spendy then, I don't know how it compares now.

bubbaguns
January 17, 2014, 00:56
I bought one in the early 90's. I liked it a lot. I bought a new one a couple of years ago. It looks identical to the one I had in the 90's. I haven't shot my new one yet.

SWOHFAL
January 17, 2014, 01:24
I shot one about ten years ago and thought it was a hoot. I will be getting one someday, but Colt had QC issues last I bought one with regard to piss poor fit and finish. I hear they are much better (largely due to CNC machining), but I still would hesitate to buy one I hadn't inspected first, as there have been some problems with even the recent pre-70 series models regarding poor fit on the rear sight in the dovetail that I've run across.

SPEEDGUNNER
January 17, 2014, 06:57
Got one, first thing I did was install a heavier recoil spring. Made all the difference in taming the 10mm and turning it into a sweet shooting 1911.

Timber Wolf
January 17, 2014, 08:27
I've wanted on for a long time but have never found one at a price I felt like paying. I also would like to find a S&W 1006 but they keep going up and I have not found one of them in my price range either. I do have an older Glock 20 but it is too big and Glock grip does not suit me.

bubbaguns
January 17, 2014, 08:38
Got one, first thing I did was install a heavier recoil spring. Made all the difference in taming the 10mm and turning it into a sweet shooting 1911.

I also installed a heavier spring kit in my original one (wolf).

W.E.G.
January 17, 2014, 10:11
Is that the one that comes from the factory with the pre-engraved idiot scratch?

:tongue:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/trivia/idiotscratch.jpg

bubbaguns
January 17, 2014, 10:17
If you are talking about the warning info like s&w puts on theirs, then no. Mine doesn't have any such warnings.

Beryl
January 17, 2014, 10:35
I had one in the early 90's. It was ok, but the round beat the crap out of it. The 1911 frame wasn't designed for that kind of pressure. The dual recoil spring got beat to hell. Replace it with some Wolf or other good springs and it should be ok.

grumpy1
January 17, 2014, 12:25
I used to shoot with a guy who had the 1st one shipped to Utah. I got to shoot it a couple of times and it was a good gun. I'm not sure if it had any thing done to it or not. I have seen a few that have had frame damage from the high pressure round. The 1911 was designed for a low pressure 45 acp round, I'm not an engineer but I'm not sure if one could make a 1911 that won't damage its self from extended shooting.

Also there are some Colt firearms out there from the 1990's that probably should have never left the factory that had lose pour workmenship. I believe it effected all makes and models. I think the crappy workmenship continued until Colt lost its M16 contract in the early 2000's and had to pull its head out and reach out to the public to try and win them back after they pissed on them and didn't care to take care of them for so many years. I think the only other company that treats its customers worse is H&K.

I love my 10mm, it was my dream gun ever since I read about the round back when the Delta elite was coming out. I chose to go with a Glock G20 because it is my pack gun when I go hiking & hunting. I don't needed a pretty gun for that just one that work reliable, which my Glock fills very well.

I do like 1911's and I love the 10mm round, but I'm not sure if the two go together.

ByrnieMac
January 17, 2014, 19:45
Awesome guys thanks. I didn't know about the frame damage. Where does the frame get damaged and what exactly should I be looking for?

And the heavier recoil spring mod sounds like a good idea. Cheap fix for a potentially expensive problem.

SPEEDGUNNER
January 17, 2014, 20:44
Only the very early ones had issues with the frame, Colt fixed the issue with a slight redesign of the slot for the slide stop.

ByrnieMac
January 17, 2014, 21:59
Oh okay cool. Thanks a bunch SPEEDGUNNER

Falcon
January 17, 2014, 22:16
Some info on the Colt 10mm's...http://www.bren-ten.com/website/id53.html

I own one too and aside from the few plastic parts...I like it.

Bruce Allen
January 18, 2014, 00:55
My brother go one when they first came out.
In fact he had a hard time finding ammo for it because it was so new.

Finally several companies began producing it, to include Norma.

My brother got some and we went to shoot it.

It was horrendous. The Norma was waaay hot, and the pistol recoiled worse than a .44 magnum IMHO.

I never shot it again buy my brother loved it and had it until the day he died.

Timber Wolf
January 18, 2014, 10:30
It was horrendous. The Norma was waaay hot, and the pistol recoiled worse than a .44 magnum IMHO.

I have a few boxes of the original Norma full-snort ammo laid back. I have never shot any of it and from what I saw some bring on GB a couple of years back probably never will.

Andy the Aussie
January 18, 2014, 16:32
If you are talking about the warning info like s&w puts on theirs, then no. Mine doesn't have any such warnings. ... nope Gary is talking about the scratch on the frame caused by over exuberant installation of the slide stop. It can be avoided and is generally called an "idiot scratch", his point is that the picture of the Delta Elite there shows it sporting the "Idiot Scratch" from the factory apparently. I will admit *MY* Gold Cup sports a very similar mark, maybe I can blame the factory ..??? ;)