PDA

View Full Version : Glock 35 questions

Old Sarge
January 15, 2014, 20:53
Hi All
I have the opportunity to pickup a used G-35 pretty cheap. Questions that I have are.

1, dose anyone make a fully supported replacement barrel for them?

2, Is there a 9mm conversion barrel available? I think lone wolf may make one.

3, Can I just swap out barrels and use it to fire 357Sig?

Thanks for any help
Old Sarge

TurnkeyNomo
January 16, 2014, 01:01
1. I think storm lake makes the closest thing to a fully supported chamber.
2. Pretty sure lone wolf makes 9mm conversion barrels.
3. The 35 will run 357 sig with barrel swap only, mags and extractor are the same.

grumpy1
January 16, 2014, 11:51
I don't know of anyone that makes a fully supported barrel for any Glock. The reason being is the design of the gun won't allow it. You can't move the chamber ahead any because you can't move the extractor ahead because you would need to redo the slide. Basically every thing would need to be shifted ahead because the unsupported chamber portion is over the feed ramp and to 'correct' that you would need to move the chamber towards the muzzle.

As far as conversion barrels goes, there are several makers for the Glock. Lone Wolf and Stormlake are just two that come to mind. My G35 has a Lone Wolf conversion barrel that has seen around 5-6K fire through it without a problem.

I believe all the makers of conversion barrels also make them in 357 Sig. Everything is the same between the 40 s&w and 357 Sig with the exception of the barrels.

I love my G35, not a real conceal carry gun but its a great truck gun.

Old Sarge
January 16, 2014, 13:07
[QUOTE=grumpy1;3772886]I don't know of anyone that makes a fully supported barrel for any Glock. The reason being is the design of the gun won't allow it. You can't move the chamber ahead any because you can't move the extractor ahead because you would need to redo the slide. Basically every thing would need to be shifted ahead because the unsupported chamber portion is over the feed ramp and to 'correct' that you would need to move the chamber towards the muzzle.
QUOTE]

Ok fully supported is the wrong wording. How a bout supported enough that the brass doesn't bulge and I can reload it easier? So semi supported? LOL

If I get this thing I am thinking I can pickup a couple of different barrels and have more options in the ammo department. Ya I don't think I could conceal it but that not a concern. Is the frame the same size as a G22? If so I would think you could use one of the 22lr conversions on it also?

Thanks
Old Sarge

TurnkeyNomo
January 16, 2014, 21:22
I don't reload pistol ammo at all just rifle, definately don't reload for my glocks but bear with me here. From what I've been told storm lake barrels are the best for saving your brass for reloading, but if you load really hot you'll still get the "smiley face" bulge.

I've used a lone wolf .357 to .40 barrel and it ran fine, although I found it wasn't as accurate as the factory 357 barrel. Ill admit, that specific 357 glock was magical and exceptionally accurate when compared to all I the many glocks I've owned.

I'm an glock armorer and will point out if you buy a .40 to 9 conversion barrel you should just buy the 9 mike extractor to go with it. Many folks on the webernets will say it'll work fine with the .40 extractor, but really, it's a $9 part that takes 60 seconds and little effort to swap once you know what your doing. If you run 9 with a .40 extractor you'll only be getting about 45% of the normal extractor/rim purchase you'd get with the proper extractor.

grumpy1
January 17, 2014, 12:47
[QUOTE=grumpy1;3772886]I don't know of anyone that makes a fully supported barrel for any Glock. The reason being is the design of the gun won't allow it. You can't move the chamber ahead any because you can't move the extractor ahead because you would need to redo the slide. Basically every thing would need to be shifted ahead because the unsupported chamber portion is over the feed ramp and to 'correct' that you would need to move the chamber towards the muzzle.
QUOTE]

Ok fully supported is the wrong wording. How a bout supported enough that the brass doesn't bulge and I can reload it easier? So semi supported? LOL

If I get this thing I am thinking I can pickup a couple of different barrels and have more options in the ammo department. Ya I don't think I could conceal it but that not a concern. Is the frame the same size as a G22? If so I would think you could use one of the 22lr conversions on it also?

Thanks
Old Sarge

Well as far as bulged brass goes it would depend how hot your reloads are for the 9 & 40. The only brass I've had get bulged were from my G20 in 10m loaded to at or near max power levels, when I load them to around 40 s&w levels I don't notice a bulge, there may be one but its not noticeable like the full house loads.

As far as CC of the G35 goes, for me the extra inch of barrel is what prevents me from carring it. The barrel extends to low to sit down with out it pulling up on my belt/pants when I sit down. As far as frame size goes, yes its the same frame size as the 17/22 so you can run the 22lr conversion on it. I have seen slides and barrels sold on GB for both the G17&22, witch would give you a carry option. Also Redding makes a die for 40 s&w brass to take the bulge out of them, last time I looked it was around $35 from Midway USA. I've not tried it but have thought about getting one.

Old Sarge
January 17, 2014, 13:25
[QUOTE=Old Sarge;3772917]

Well as far as bulged brass goes it would depend how hot your reloads are for the 9 & 40. The only brass I've had get bulged were from my G20 in 10m loaded to at or near max power levels, when I load them to around 40 s&w levels I don't notice a bulge, there may be one but its not noticeable like the full house loads.

As far as CC of the G35 goes, for me the extra inch of barrel is what prevents me from carring it. The barrel extends to low to sit down with out it pulling up on my belt/pants when I sit down. As far as frame size goes, yes its the same frame size as the 17/22 so you can run the 22lr conversion on it. I have seen slides and barrels sold on GB for both the G17&22, witch would give you a carry option. Also Redding makes a die for 40 s&w brass to take the bulge out of them, last time I looked it was around $35 from Midway USA. I've not tried it but have thought about getting one.

Well I went a head and picked it up. I got it for $399. plus tax and such. Used Police gun in good shape, three standard mags and the box. I have a bucket of mixed 40 brass that I can use to reload. I bought one of the Redding GBX dies a couple of years ago thinking that I would need it when I start to reload this 5 gal bucket o brass. Seeing as I tend to load at the low end I don't think it should be to much of an issue but will have to see.

I plan on picking up a couple of the spare barrels as time moves on. May look around and see if I can find a G22 top end for it also.

Thanks for the advice
Old Sarge

grumpy1
January 17, 2014, 15:10
That's a killer price, I wouldn't have passed it up. I think you might be ok if you load up a few of the 40's and check them with a case gauge and see how they fair. You might not have to run them through the Redding.

Good luck and have fun

yellowhand
January 18, 2014, 02:32
I shoot and carry 357 Sig and also a lot of 40 SW and reload for both.
I use Lee dies which takes out most of any bulge's and finishes up any left over when ran thru the factory crimp die.
Picked up a Lee bulge buster kit, cheap and simple, but have never needed to use it except for playing with it. This kit sits on top of your single stage press and has a collection bucket at the top. Just run a completed round up thru it and no more bulge. When the bucket is full, just empty and keep cranking out completed rounds.
Use both SL and LW conversion barrels, the LW seems to leave none or very little bulge vs the SL which does depending on brass and number of times reloaded.
I load in bulk, 1 or 2 K's at a time, so my pistol brass gets used until it falls apart.

Old Sarge
January 18, 2014, 10:17
I shoot and carry 357 Sig and also a lot of 40 SW and reload for both.
I use Lee dies which takes out most of any bulge's and finishes up any left over when ran thru the factory crimp die.
Picked up a Lee bulge buster kit, cheap and simple, but have never needed to use it except for playing with it. This kit sits on top of your single stage press and has a collection bucket at the top. Just run a completed round up thru it and no more bulge. When the bucket is full, just empty and keep cranking out completed rounds.
Use both SL and LW conversion barrels, the LW seems to leave none or very little bulge vs the SL which does depending on brass and number of times reloaded.
I load in bulk, 1 or 2 K's at a time, so my pistol brass gets used until it falls apart.

Thanks for the info. I am planning on picking up the Lone Wolf 40 to 9mm conversion barrel and a 357Sig one next month.

I ordered some 165grn flash coated HP bullets to try loading with, I also have some 180grn cast ones. Have to see how it all works out.

Thanks
Old Sarge

yellowhand
January 18, 2014, 13:44
Thanks for the info. I am planning on picking up the Lone Wolf 40 to 9mm conversion barrel and a 357Sig one next month.

I ordered some 165grn flash coated HP bullets to try loading with, I also have some 180grn cast ones. Have to see how it all works out.

Thanks
Old Sarge

I'm old school, but the 357 Sig changed my mind on this one.
I've changed over all of my Glock's that I can change to 357 Sig.
Flat shooting, on target to 100 plus, and does a job on windshields, car doors, and barriers commonly found in house's.

MACV
January 19, 2014, 23:35
I have a G-22 357 Sig conversion that shoots good. Derned thing is a hammer. I put a Wolff SS guide rod and #20 lb spring in it. It dampens most of the recoil. I'm pretty impressed with that round. I know the G-34 and 35 prac/tac are very accurate pistols. I have never worried about the unsupported barrel thing. I wish Glock made a 357 Sig practical/tactical pistol.

yellowhand
January 20, 2014, 00:22
What are you guys running when reloading 357 Sig?
I've been more than happy with a 124 JHP and 10 grains of Blue Dot.
Thing will fly and is loud,loud, loud, with my ported Glock!:D

homelandprotector
January 21, 2014, 18:46
KKM + Awesome barrels >> http://www.kkmprecision.com/shopping-cart/?func=order&frompage=cat&cat=G

VERY, VERY high quality barrels. :cool: I'm sure they have 357. sig for the G35, give em a call.

Booker3557
January 22, 2014, 23:47
Do they have anymore used G35 for $399?

Old Sarge
January 23, 2014, 12:57

They did on the 17th when I picked mine up. The other one was a few buck more $420 I think. No box and only two mags as I recall. But the finish on it was in better shape then the one I got. Only reason I didn't pick that one was it has a big ass PD stamp on the slide from the Lansing MI PD. Not sure if the night sights were working. I will be heading over there tomorrow. If they still have it I will drop you a line.

http://www.gtdist.com/

Austin store in the used gun department. I don't think they list them on line though.

Old Sarge

Old Sarge
January 24, 2014, 13:12

They have three of them in the case as of an hour ago. One is the one I passed on with 2 mags and no box. The other two have three mags and a box without any police markings on them. The two new ones look better then mine. The price on them was $420 your pick.

Old Sarge