PDA

View Full Version : Thumbhole stock - no so bad

Zenkoanhead
January 12, 2014, 11:06
I usually find myself daydreaming about a folding stock for my 200, and liking the looks of the fixed stocks better. So I decided to make do for a bit and discovered a couple of things.

First, there really are two screws holding on that rubber buttpad. It doesn't look it, but you can find the channels with a pin and push through with a screwdriver. The pad is very well made by the way.

Pad dismounted, off to my buddy at the hardware store who sliced 1" of the butt. The pillars in the stock need to be redrilled to accept new screws, also from the hardware store.

New rifle buttplate from ebay shaped and sanded and the modification is almost done. I placed a plastic bag into the now hollow stock and filled it with plumbers putty, then replaced the buttplate.

If my computer wiz child can post a pix, I will forward one. The new lop is 13 1/2 inches and the balance is perfect. Cheekslap is gone and the iron sights come easily to view. A vast improvement and easily done.

kursk
January 12, 2014, 19:41
I would love to see the finished product. I have a Daewoo DR200 with the original stock and am considering improving the stock.

Zenkoanhead
January 13, 2014, 00:15
Send me a pm with your telephone number and whiz kid will send you a pix Kursk.

USNJetJockey
January 24, 2014, 13:30
If anyone is looking for a thumbhole stock, I have one listed on ARFCOM.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_47/1269388_Daewoo_DR_200_Rifle_Stock.html

Zenkoanhead
January 25, 2014, 09:02
I picked up an inexpensive check riser and laced that on, so now I am "tactical cool" again. I also ordered a G3 forearm, but it needs some more fitting.

It is surprising how much better balanced the rifle becomes once the lop is shortened and extra weight added inside the stock. There is probably a pound or so of putty inside the stock. I hoping the G3 forearm adds an even better feel, as it will allow the left arm to stretch out and better support the front of the rifle. If it doesn't, I am not out much.