PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with a G29?

ByrnieMac
January 11, 2014, 01:30
I've been considering retiring my current piece from carry duty for a while and picking up a knock around gun. Now, I've said for a very long time that I don't think I would ever buy a Glock, not anything against the utility of them, mainly just the look. But when it comes down to reliability and price, its hard to beat.

I love the 10mm round and the 29 seems to be a very potent little package.

Any experience with one?

grumpy1
January 11, 2014, 02:29
I've owned many Glocks over the years some where around 10-12 that being said my 1st one was in 10mm. I shot many of the Glocks, I've never really cared for the sub compact models I find there's just not enough of a grip to control the recoil effectively. Also if you plan on using full house 10mm rounds, you'll have your hands full with it. It your looking a using 40 s&w equal loaded 10mm I'd get a Glock 23 or 22. Also with its short barrel you won't be getting any advantages over a longer barreled 40 S&W.

Out of all the Glocks that I've gotten rid of and not replaced, my G22c is the one I miss the most. I even prefer it to my G23c. Next would be the G36, wish they would make it in 10mm version.

SPEEDGUNNER
January 11, 2014, 09:33
My son drug me kicking and screaming over to the dark side a few years ago, and I have to say that as a tool the Glock is hard to beat. Nothing sexy about them, but they do work as they are supposed to, and they work every time.

As with everything else, I need a representative sample of each, and I have owned and fired almost every variation. The big 20 and 21 are too bulky, the full size 17 and 22 too big, and the compact 26 and 27's don't fit my hand well. I find the 19 to be the perfect balance, but to satisfy me desire for maximum firepower the 23 in .40 S&W is my go to carry piece. As for the 29, I am also a big fan of 10mm, and own several full size pistols in this caliber. The heavier slide of the 29 manages the recoil very nicely, and you have a couple rounds more of capacity than say the .45GAP 39. Heavy, wide, not that comfortable to carry, but certainly a potent as a defensive weapon, I think you would be pleased with the gun overall.

January 11, 2014, 11:25
i have used the g27 for years in 40 s&w. with the 10 round mag, it slaps the bottom of my trigger finger pretty hard over the course of a firing session. i would bet the 10mm would do the same a little harder. you should try shooting one before buying. i use the 13 & 15 round mags in it also, eliminated the trigger finger slap.

ByrnieMac
January 11, 2014, 18:04
I've shot a G27 in the past. I don't remember any trigger finger slap, but that was also a few years back. My buddy had the pinky extension floor plates so it was easy to grip. I can't stand when my pinky is hanging off the bottom of a grip

But yeah I wouldn't consider buying one without shooting one first

Timber Wolf
January 12, 2014, 12:51
I have a G20, an older one and don't like it as in addition to not fitting my hand, it is just too big. I would like to try one of the SF models to see if I like it any better. Don't they make the 29 in an SF version? If so I would like to get ahold of one to try. It is going to be pretty tough to edge out my favored carry, an XDm 3.8C.

W.E.G.
January 12, 2014, 13:48
As a practical matter for a defensive weapon, the 10mm Glock offers nothing that the .40 S&W Glock does not offer, other than some smug notion of needless superiority.

Plus the 10mm model is big as a brick in the grip area.

Just get the .40, and some really good defensive ammo.
After you get 15 inches of penetration, with full expansion, anything else is pretty pointless unless you are trying to kill moose or bear. In which case just get a fugking .338 magnum, and call it good.

With the .40, you get the same frame-size as the 9mm. So you can get a 9mm for training, and shoot the cheapest centerfire ammo there is, and never have to go near a reloading press, or bend-down to pick up a piece of pistol brass. 9mm and .40 holsters interchange too. 10mm holsters are all one-off propositions.

I guarantee if you get the 10mm, you won't shoot four boxes of ammo through it in a year.

W.E.G.
January 12, 2014, 13:51
I don't get it with anybody who says the "full size" 9mm or .40 Glock is "too big."

Those guns are puny compared to even a 4-inch revolver.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/securitysixcomparedG22.jpg

Bug Tussell
January 12, 2014, 16:35
I have a G29. I got it in a trade for an optic that was of questionable value to me.
It came with a few rounds that I fired. It was definitely manageable. .40 on steroids.

I heard that the 10mm is a good round for bear IIRC. But the 10mm is not what I want to keep in my stable.

SWOHFAL
January 12, 2014, 21:05
I have the 20, which just seems to make more sense for the 10mm and maximizing its potential with the longer barrel, otherwise you've got very little over a .40, IMO. If I wanted a sub-compact Glock, I would try the 30 in .45. I've shot one several times and thought it had very manageable recoil and was surprisingly accurate.

ByrnieMac
January 14, 2014, 08:36
I appreciate all the advice guys.

And WEG, to be honest I'd be lucky to go through 4 boxes of ammo with any of my guns this year!

Stranger
January 14, 2014, 12:40
I don't get it with anybody who says the "full size" 9mm or .40 Glock is "too big."

Those guns are puny compared to even a 4-inch revolver.

[/IMG]

I don't think its the overall size of the pistol, its the size of the grip. The grip on the double stack G20/21 is too big for guys who wear M/L size gloves. I had a G21 for a long time because I just "had to" have a high capacity magazine .45. However, I shot like crap and was uncomfortable because the grip did not allow me to have proper control. Grip-tape can only help so much.

W.E.G.
January 14, 2014, 12:56
For me, the grip on the .45 ACP Glock has the same issue as the 10mm.

Just too fat.

Could probably do fine if all firing was two-handed.
Which sort of defeats the purpose of a HANDgun.