PDA

View Full Version : Enfield rifles

james robert
January 10, 2014, 15:55
I have two Enfield rifles that I got from my brother and have been laying arround for years. He told me there is something wrong with the chamber on one as a 303 round fits loose in it. and the other one has a hole drilled in the chamber. The one with the hole is pretty beat up and has diferent bolt design They are both marked US property S NO. 4 MK1 the better one not drilled has England marked on the other side. Would these rifles be worth messing with to try and restore. Both bores are shinny with decent rifflings.

Thank you.

James

RCEMERalf
January 10, 2014, 16:55
DO NOT attempt to fire these!!!!! Sounds like both should be ,"wall hangers", or disassembled for parts. Rifle with oversize chamber might be a candidate for a pistol cartridge insert. Consult a knowledgeable gunsmith before doing anything serious. The wood and some parts could be sold on Gunbroker or fleebay. Rifle cartridges generate a lot of pressure that can change such things into a grenade with a stock.

james robert
January 10, 2014, 18:05
RCEMERalf, Thanks for the warning. I dont think that I would attempt to fire either of these rifles as they are just wondering if they would be worth sending them to a gunsmith. I read that some of them where re chambered for other calibers.

Thank you.

James

RCEMERalf
January 10, 2014, 21:15
You would spend say, $ 200 plus to buy a barrel ( if you could find a good one) and have it installed. Then the bolt head would have to be the right size with minimal overtravel , proper lug surfaces and all the rest. As a project, you may wish to make a casting of the oversize chamber. Push a wad of cloth ( oversize cleaning patch) into the chamber leaving just a small portion of rifling visible. Fill the chamber with melted wax. When it cools pop it out and compare with the size of an unfired round.
It is unlikely that the chamber has been reamed for a cartridge with a greater capacity than the original .303.
You might be pleasantly surprised at what you might get for the parts.

4duece
January 10, 2014, 21:20
With the markings you describe you have 2 U.S. Savage Arms No.4 Mk.1 rifles made here in the U.S. by Savage and given to the British Army under the lend lease plan. I would part them out. Savage parts will bring a nice price if you find the right collector.:wink::fal:

james robert
January 10, 2014, 22:47
Thanks all,I would rather not part them out but might sell them whole or trade for FAL compliance parts.

Thank you.

James