PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for 1911 .22

stoner
January 05, 2014, 15:31
I have been thinking of getting a 1911 .22. Friend loaned me his GSG 1911 .22 to try. He loves it. It seems OK, had a few jams, when slide was released on a fresh mag, seemed kind of week. Also, he told me that it required a special tool to disassemble for cleaning. Don't care for that.

Does anyone have any experience with some of the other brands, and give some advice? Many thanks in advance!

Stoner

nwobhm
January 05, 2014, 15:39
Why not buy a conversion kit. Marvel, Kimber etc.

CG&L
January 05, 2014, 16:02
For a quality dedicated 1911 in 22, the only good choice seems to be the RIA XT22.
They have an all steel receiver(standard 1911) and a steel slide. According to rimfirecentral, they are very reliable.
If I could find one, I would buy it

At this time, RIA does not offer the slide by itself.

I have a Marvel kit on my 1911. It functions well with Federal AutoMatch but not so well with other brands
Good luck on finding a Marvel kit, you're going to have a tough time finding one.

All the others are either a GSG or a Chippa(sp?)

stoner
January 05, 2014, 16:39
Why not buy a conversion kit. Marvel, Kimber etc.

NWOBHM, Thanks for the reply! I had considered a conversion kit. But I think I would prefer a dedicated .22 arm.

olgunner
January 05, 2014, 17:38
As other have indicated, a Marvel conversion is an excellent option but hard to find. Fortunately, Advantage Arms makes a "Target" conversion kit which is a Marvel design. (When I bought mine, I was surprised to see the subdued Marvel roll mark.)
I had a cheap Essex frame in a parts box, so I used it with the Advantage Arms top end to build a "dedicated" .22. Not to diminish the GSG or "Colt/Walther" or Chiappa or the "miniature" Browning--all of which I've tried--but the AA Target conversion is at least a step above them in terms of reliability and about two steps above them in terms of accuracy. Plus, since the frame is a regular 1911 frame, you can customize it however you want--you'll know whatever trigger, grip safety, slide stop, etc, you choose will work as well as it does on your favorite .45.

I have not tried an RIA .22, so that might be a low-cost alternative. But for $350-ish for the AA kit plus the cost of a frame and parts, you can have a very accurate .22 1911.

The only "complaint" I have about the AA is that it really loves CCI Mini-Mags and they've been hard to find for the past year.

I just looked at the AA website and they're showing all 1911 kits as out of stock. Fortunately, there are kits available on Gunbroker.

Hebrew Battle Rifle
January 05, 2014, 18:37
The only "special" tool needed to clean a GSG191122 is an allen wrench. The wrench is in the accessory pack that comes with the gun.

I have a GS 1911/22 that I would make you a sweet deal on. I have a COLT 1911/22 that I prefer so I never shoot the GSG anymore.

fnogger
January 05, 2014, 19:55
I'd go for (another in my case) GSG

Inexpensive but not cheap. Magazines are available, as are several + capacity kits (up to 14 rounds).

I've got 4k or so thru mine w/ no issues not caused by me - one of my mags is a bit picky about how it is loaded, otherwise I get a jam (empty chamber) after the first round or two, and sometimes for the next 3 or 4 as well. Also, not so accurate, but then, neither am I.

There is a 40k round report on one or two of them out there - http://rugerforum.net/pistols-revolvers/95435-gsg-1911-22-40-000-rounds.html

January 05, 2014, 23:47
I have been thinking of getting a 1911 .22. Friend loaned me his GSG 1911 .22 to try. He loves it. It seems OK, had a few jams, when slide was released on a fresh mag, seemed kind of week. Also, he told me that it required a special tool to disassemble for cleaning. Don't care for that.

Does anyone have any experience with some of the other brands, and give some advice? Many thanks in advance!

Stoner

Never knew about the RIA combo package until reading this thread. I own a GSG 1911/22 and if I could do it over, hindsight being 20/20 and all, think I would definitely go with the RIA. If you would like to know more about the pro's and con's on the GSG go to the 1911 forums and check out "Other 1911,s here:
http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32

Good luck with your quest!

Listed here is a, New RIA 51937 A1 XT22 Combo 8RD /10RD 45ACP/22LR
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411553507

Timber Wolf
January 06, 2014, 09:40
I have a Kimber conversion I put on an old Crown City receiver I had. It seems to do better with 9 rounds in the mag then the full 10. I bought it used with an extra mag at a fair price off GB ($150ish). I do not think I would buy one now with all the options in dedicated .22 1911s out there. I did score some more Kimber mags cheap from Midway, they run them on sale occasionally. I do need to try it with some different ammo to see if it runs any better.

L Haney
January 06, 2014, 10:00
I've got the SIG 1911/22. Bought it just to put a can on. It likes hot ammo, not the bulk pack stuff. Shoots bugholes too.

Has some plastic parts I'll probably replace with metal just cause I'm like that. Fit and finish are quite good.

Can ain't here yet, dammit.

MAINER
January 07, 2014, 19:27
Looks like a good deal on the GSG if you like them. No experience with them, so can't recommend them one way or another.

$349.99 and a $100 gift card.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/gsg-m1911-hga-22-lr-5-in-wdgp.html

L Haney
January 07, 2014, 19:28
Oooohh, oooohh, oooh. Got the call TODAY! The can for the SIG is in!

Aeroscout
January 07, 2014, 19:57
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/firearms-clearance/citadel-1911-22lr-tactical-range-kit-pcp191122tacrk.html

January 07, 2014, 22:19
GSG .22LR 1911 Conversion Kit w/ 10rd Magazine GER1911CONV
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/accessories/handgun-parts/conversion-kits/gsg-22lr-1911-conversion-kit-w-10rd-magazine-ger1911conv.html

Quick Overview

A drop in slide conversion kit from German Sports Guns. Converts your .45 1911 pistol to a .22LR 1911 pistol. Comes with slide, barrel, one ten round magazine, and instructions in a plastic storage case.

The GSG conversion kit is designed for full sized (Gold Cup/Government/Combat Commander) 1911 frames (it will not fit the Officers/Titan sized frames), and it comes with the parts kit to work on both 70- and 80-series type 1911 pistols.

randyj
January 24, 2014, 12:04
bought a kimber stainless conversion when I bought my pre series II custom stainless target back in 99. liked it because it was an exact copy of the .45 slide, , serrations, sights, etc. it is perfect for practice. will only run on Remington thunderbolts, shit ammo but good enough to shoot the plate rack.
uses all my gear for the .45
built up an AP itnl frame from sarco (philippines )for $99.00 and some extra parts lying around. dropped in an Ed brown hammer trigger sear assy. lapped the slide to frame fit and bingo a complete 2 tone .22
love it !

bad thing extra mags are $35.00, and still only reliable with them damn thunderbolts

randyj

Timber Wolf
January 24, 2014, 15:52
bought a kimber stainless conversion..............bad thing is extra mags are $35.00

Guess you did not read the whole thread, particularly my post above. So just to help a brother out, here they are on clearance at Midway for half that: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/952522/kimber-rimfire-target-conversion-magazine-1911-government-22-long-rifle-10-round-polymer-black;)

randyj
January 24, 2014, 18:44
timberwolf, bought those extra mags years ago. nobody had them, had to buy kimbers. dealing with ciener who made the conversion unit for kimber, was no option, which is who made them back then.
that was then this is now
great info from you

BTW are those 10rnd or 15rnds ?

randyj