PDA

View Full Version : Colt Commander

TCustoms
January 05, 2014, 15:09
I built this Colt Commander for a customer a few years ago. It was rusty and crust and pretty sloppy.
Fitted a new barrel bushing,link and changed all the internals to Wilson parts. Cut the frame for a beavertail and trigger job, gave it a new look.

Anyway, I now own it after a trade for some AK work. yay me. :laughing:

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g216/rockmup/guns/IMG_0162_zps6581ffd6.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g216/rockmup/guns/IMG_0161_zpsa277af7e.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g216/rockmup/guns/IMG_0160_zps84a7dcd7.jpg

meltblown
January 05, 2014, 15:23
Nice. i have an old commander and really like it after I finally learned to shoot it

VALMET
January 05, 2014, 15:58
Nice Commander! I have a pre-Series 70 LW that I've owned for a few years. Have never found it especially pleasant to shoot (as a LW) but cannot bring myself to sell it because they are such nice guns.

CG&L
January 05, 2014, 16:06
Nice looking commander

I see in your profile that you're from Louisiana. Do you have a custom shop?

olgunner
January 05, 2014, 16:57
Well, I hope you gave him plenty of "AK work" for it--nice pistol!
What's the finish on the frame?

TCustoms
January 05, 2014, 17:09
@Captain, no. I am a home based 07/C2 SOT but am in the progress of shutting it down. Time for other things.

This pistol is done in Duracoat

January 05, 2014, 18:45
that is what i want. very nice.

Bruce Allen
January 05, 2014, 21:15
My brother Frank had two commanders in satin nickel finish from years ago, either one being his carry gun on most a occasions.

The durned things were not particularly accurate, we thought, showing fairly large groups at 50 yards, but while we were out plinking on day Frank started shooting a objects over 100 yards away and he was hitting most of them, using Kentucky Windage.
We were amazed.

Timber Wolf
January 06, 2014, 09:48
Everybody needs a good Commander.:) I let a Stain Nickle get away in a trade to a friend years ago but picked up a blued Combat Commander to replace it. I also have a very early LW Commander in 9mm that is a sweet packing piece of kit. I built up a full-size 9mm 1911 to shoot USPSA Single Stack division minor power factor and so invested in an ample supply of Tripp Cobra 10 round 9mm mags. With one of them inserted full of "modern" high performance 9mm ammo the old light weight 9mm Commander is a serious carry piece!:wink:

L Haney
January 06, 2014, 09:56
TCustoms, do you like the feel of the arched main spring housing?

I never could get used to that.

shlomo
January 06, 2014, 10:13
TCustoms, do you like the feel of the arched main spring housing?

I never could get used to that.

Halfway in between the two is what I like:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2w4k3rq.jpg

L Haney
January 06, 2014, 10:29
I've shot that pistol!

shlomo
January 06, 2014, 10:34
I've shot that pistol!

Did ya find it a rewarding experience?

L Haney
January 06, 2014, 10:53
Well, you saw me shoot at least one .44 special case off the top of a steel popper with it.

What do you think? :biggrin:

shlomo
January 06, 2014, 10:57
Well, you saw me shoot at least one .44 special case off the top of a steel popper with it.

Next time, I'm gonna put it farther out. Fifty yards apparently ain't much of a challenge for ya. :sad:

L Haney
January 06, 2014, 11:08
Next time, I'm gonna put it farther out. Fifty yards apparently ain't much of a challenge for ya. :sad:

That be a 'zaggeration. You added a zero.

Far as the commanders though, I've had a few. With an eye to better concealment. I was foolish.

It ain't the length of the slide, it's the grip length that works against me as I'm built like a string bean. But I did always like the concept of the Commander.

Oh hell, I just like the 1911 in anything 'cept them chihuahua sized freaks some people vend. Them be abominations.

ETA: Now you dunnit', I'ma have to go get that Philippine Metrosexual Arms industrial chromed pimp gun out and dry fire at the talking heads on the Weather Channel.

TCustoms
January 06, 2014, 11:16
I do like the arched MS housings. I have big hands so they fit well.
I have other 1911's both commanders and Gov. models. They are hands down my favorite pistols.

I shoot an open G17 I built in USPSA though. No desire to shoot single stack

shlomo
January 06, 2014, 11:16
That be a 'zaggeration. You added a zero.

Far as the commanders though, I've had a few. With an eye to better concealment. I was foolish.

It ain't the length of the slide, it's the grip length that works against me as I'm built like a string bean. But I did always like the concept of the Commander.

Oh hell, I just like the 1911 in anything 'cept them chihuahua sized freaks some people vend. Them be abominations.

ETA: Now you dunnit', I'ma have to go get that Philippine Metrosexual Arms industrial chromed pimp gun out and dry fire at the talking heads on the Weather Channel.

How in the hell do you expect to become an internet legend if you shortstop my BS like that? :mad: I'm workin' here...

OTOH, I've always thought that a commander slide on and officer's frame would be the ta-tas for carry. Even better if the frame was al-you-minium.

L Haney
January 06, 2014, 11:29
How in the hell do you expect to become an internet legend if you shortstop my BS like that? :mad: I'm workin' here...

I AM an innerweb legend, thank you very much. Just not in this circle.

I'm not surprised you would like an aluminimum (heh) frame as your hand has approximately the same mass as a cured ham. I like the heft of steel. Crap, I'd entertain the thought of depleted uranium as a base metal myself.

shlomo
January 06, 2014, 11:36
I AM an innerweb legend, thank you very much. Just not in this circle.

I'm not surprised you would like an aluminimum (heh) frame as your hand has approximately the same mass as a cured ham. I like the heft of steel. Crap, I'd entertain the thought of depleted uranium as a base metal myself.

It's the fact that I have a "nice personality" that makes me want as little extry weight as possible. ;)

DJ
January 06, 2014, 16:20
That's a really nice Commander. I have a pre-Series 70 LW that's my carry gun.

JeffJ
January 07, 2014, 08:14

44? hmm seems I have shot that gun 2x and neither 38 special lived to tell about it..rookie.

shlomo
January 07, 2014, 09:31
44? hmm seems I have shot that gun 2x and neither 38 special lived to tell about it..rookie.

Yeah, but at least Haney did it at 50.

Yours got knocked off by muzzle blast. :)

BUFF
January 07, 2014, 15:49
I love the Commander. It's just the right size and weight for a carry-all-day .45 ACP that can still be shot well. I replaced my 1970's vintage blue Commander with the stainless upper/silver anodized aluminum lower of the Custom Carry Commander about 1990, when Colt finally decided to make this fine pistol more corrosion resistant, for us sweaty types that carry concealed a lot. I have had a slightly newer stainless/aluminum on my belt every day since Colt made them a catalog item. It saved my bacon for good one fine morning in December, 2001.

I love these pistols.

Shlomo: Did you do the sight install on your Government in your post?

My skull features no really interesting bumps. I try to use the word 'cudgel' in a social setting at least once a month.

shlomo
January 07, 2014, 16:08
Shlomo: Did you do the sight install on your Government in your post?

My skull features no really interesting bumps. I try to use the word 'cudgel' in a social setting at least once a month.

I put 'em on, but did not make the cuts in the slide, if that's your question. I can, but did not in this case. It's a Caspian that I ordered that way.

The best-shooting pistol I ever built had a low-mount Bomar rear that I sunk in the slide by hand with files. That's the kind of thing you do when you have no money and no tools, but lots of time and patience and a little hand skill.

Hang out on the same threads with a certain somebody and you'll wind up with at least a couple pop-knots on yer gourd--unless you're quick... :biggrin:

I got me a couple blanks of suitable wood drying in the shop, and intend to make a cudgel of my own. Then we'll see what's what. ;)

STGThndr
January 29, 2014, 01:31
Ive had and have a few Combat Commanders of the 70 serial range. Don't bother telling me that there are no "70" series C.Commanders cuz I have several, sez so right there in the serial#. The Commander sized .45 autos are about a perfect rendition of the Browning-designed Colt pistol. Ive carried the full size and the "Officer's ACP" and greatly prefer the Combat Commander.

Andy the Aussie
January 29, 2014, 02:00
I would love a Commander, was about to build one to go with my GC in 2002 till the laws changed here and made the Commander too short in the barrel Dept to be mine...so I have to stick to my "re-calibred" Gold Cup... :)

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af98/Andy_the_Aussie/Guns/1911Smoke2_zpsaa80433d.jpg (http://s997.photobucket.com/user/Andy_the_Aussie/media/Guns/1911Smoke2_zpsaa80433d.jpg.html)

L Haney
January 29, 2014, 06:29
Andy, yer' stuff is too pretty. I'm starting to think you might wear them drug store cowboy boots with the silver toe caps.

Andy the Aussie
January 29, 2014, 13:47
Andy, yer' stuff is too pretty. I'm starting to think you might wear them drug store cowboy boots with the silver toe caps. ..... not toe caps on my boots... just black leather... ;)