PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me more about this HP?

.30-06
December 29, 2013, 15:36
I know almost nothing about this gun aside of what it says on it. Can you guys help me out here? I know its not in the best condition, should I consider refinishing it?

http://imageshack.us/a/img189/2134/qj96.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img15/7900/2vcl.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img854/4154/6z1w.jpg

Falcon
December 29, 2013, 15:42
"NZ" in the serial number denotes 1991 manuafacture. Judging from the dark pictures, it sort of looks like one of the surplused HP's imported into the U.S. from Israel.

MAINER
December 29, 2013, 19:54
It doesn't NEED refinishing, especially if it will be your truck/mud gun, but it sure would look purty with some Cerocoat on it. :love:

Lube it up and shoot the snot out of it before considering a refinish. You may want to replace the sights, have the front strap checkered, or some other
mod you desire.

For sure, I'd put some wood Ahern grips and new screws on it. Nice pistole!

.30-06
December 30, 2013, 16:19
It doesn't NEED refinishing, especially if it will be your truck/mud gun, but it sure would look purty with some Cerocoat on it. :love:

Lube it up and shoot the snot out of it before considering a refinish. You may want to replace the sights, have the front strap checkered, or some other
mod you desire.

For sure, I'd put some wood Ahern grips and new screws on it. Nice pistole!

Thanks! I do need to install some wood grips on it. :biggrin:

stitcher
December 30, 2013, 21:05
Looks like a great project, congrats! Getting an HP is a wonderful thing! :)

.30-06
December 31, 2013, 23:43
Looks like a great project, congrats! Getting an HP is a wonderful thing! :)

Thanks! I only paid $350 for it. I still need to take it to the range.

.30-06
December 31, 2013, 23:45
The sights are good unless you want night sights(or just something else).

Same call on the Israeli import, the little flat running from the front of the trigger guard forward usually gets mentioned as being a way to ID them.

I assume it is a forged frame as well? Should be smooth on the bottom of the pistol at the rear of the magwell if it is. Can't recall if it was Sarco or GPC that had the infinite loop lanyard rings for those since yours was removed.

Now, does anyone know why so many of the Israeli pistols have the old style safeties in place and the plastic checkered grips instead of the ones that came on the MkIII? I can understand the grips getting damaged and swapped with stock from earlier contracts(and I think they feel better than the MkIII ergos), but I can't imagine the safety being a heavy wear item and for most people would be a negative even if they did carry chamber empty.

By the way, any plans to sell the grip panels?

Thanks, I gotta get a lanyard ring from Sarco. I'm not sure if the slide is forged or not. I can always post more pictures if needed. I'll let you know what I decided to do with the grip panels.

spider991
January 05, 2014, 20:05
Greg cote is solid....great prices, sign up for his email specials

Mark IV
January 06, 2014, 12:26
Remove the magazine disconnect and the quality of the trigger pull will improve dramatically.