PDA

View Full Version : Decision on Cleo Signoff put off till June?

2barearms
December 23, 2013, 21:40
Was talking to one of the fellows at a big local gun shop, actually the biggest
gun store in Texas. I'd bet they've got some where near a 1000 Black Rifles
for sale of all flavors, now back to the story.... He said that he was told they
have had so many letters, emails and phone calls to transcribe in the record
that it would be June before they could make a decision. He also said there are
a ton of lawsuits filed. He mostly deals with the NFA items at the store btw,
so this isn't some counter jockey. Anyone else hear anything?

2barearms
December 23, 2013, 22:55
http://www.guntrustlawyer.net/proposed-atf-trust-regulation

and this is from the piece above:

http://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=201310&RIN=1140-AA43

N4KVE
January 03, 2014, 21:15
Spoke to an ATF agent at the last gun show. He says if the law passes, & no more trusts are issued, the LEO signoff goes bye bye too. So according to him, we will fill out a form 1, finger print card, & back ground check. I'm good with that. The only reason we went with trusts is because many LEO's wouldn't sign off on the form 1. GARY

2barearms
January 04, 2014, 00:28
Spoke to an ATF agent at the last gun show. He says if the law passes, & no more trusts are issued, the LEO signoff goes bye bye too. So according to him, we will fill out a form 1, finger print card, & back ground check. I'm good with that. The only reason we went with trusts is because many LEO's wouldn't sign off on the form 1. GARY

Gary,

You are correct and the process would be less painful, I got a Trust setup
for the reasons stated. The 'ruling' about the proposed regulation could take
many forms I suppose but the CLEO elimination would be good. I'm going to
order a Specwar 762 next week and get the paperwork filed electronically which seems to be about 60% faster. I've got a Form 1 in process that I couldn't get e filed because their stupid system wouldn't work with my browser.

CG&L
January 04, 2014, 02:49
The June 2014 date is only a target date for the ATF to make a ruling or not make a ruling or simply delay making a ruling change.

There is nothing firm about June. The ATF could make a ruling before June if they wanted to. They could make a ruling well after June

The only thing that is certain is the ATF will never do away with the CLEO sign-off.
They may require a CLEO sign-off for Trust but nobody knows for certain.

Unfortunately, it appears as though the political climate will determine what the ATF does. It is my guess the ATF will wait until after the elections. If the Dems take both Houses, I suspect the AFT will go full retard

K. Funk
January 04, 2014, 06:36
Actually for me, the CLEO signoff is no problem. Getting the fingerprints is the biggest PIA. That why I went the corporate route. The only place to get fingerprints that I know of are at the State Police barracks and the hours are limited and not convenient.

krf

kev
January 04, 2014, 10:37
You can take your own prints,......they just have to be done on the proper form which you can order from ATF. I know it sounds stupid, but it's true. You honestly can run your own prints and certify the form yourself.

Sampson1986
January 04, 2014, 15:26

Not to be an ass but what the hell would a low level agent know?

How many times since 1934 has the process gotten easier and less arbitrary?

N4KVE
January 22, 2014, 11:17
Not to be an ass but what the hell would a low level agent know?
This particular agent is pretty high up the food chain here, & more knowledgeable than most. But as we all know, we won't really know anything until the fat lady sings. GARY

Scott S
January 22, 2014, 14:57
What I've read is that there were so many valid comments submitted, circa 8500, that it's going to take the BATF about a year to sift through and comment on all of them. Read that here at the ASA website:

http://americansilencerassociation.com/blog/

Before I submitted my comments, I probably read a couple hundred comments submitted by individuals and several submitted by lawyers/law firms. Unless the DOJ simply ignores the comments by replying with a form letter that essentially says "screw you", I don't see how they can move forward with the proposal. And if they do move forward with the proposal, it's going to be a shit storm.