PDA

View Full Version : ELCAN M-145 / Anyone tried one?

paulb2112
December 20, 2013, 09:49
Any opinions / first hand experiences?

Thorack
December 20, 2013, 11:39
Yes,

Used them in combat. They are a good optic with a blended 7.62/5.56 reticle. They provide a large field of view and an illuminted reticle in a rugidized body. Magnification is 3.4x.

This comes at the cost of being large and heavy. Unless the price was very low in my opinion the ACOG is a better sight for a personnel rifle. On a crew served weapon, that I wasnt carrying, the field of view on a M145 is great and it would be a toss up between that an an ACOG.

Thorack

C2A1
December 21, 2013, 14:56
I have two. If you watch, they can be had for a reasonable price ($500-$600). I have one on my AUG A3. I like te wide field of view, as stated it is heavy but allows me a bit more time to react to a target. Looking at the common optical site program ( which will eeplace the ELCAN, ACOG etc.) they are copying the GRSC reticle in the proposed system so I have gone to the 1-6 GRSC scope. There is one coming out for 7.62 NATO shortly. I like GRSC because it works, easy to learn and the criticall components are made with Japanese glass. I've noticed several others have gone with the first focal plane horseshoe reticle but I think the GRSC is a good balance in cost and performance.